Final D8000 Pro

Honestly I dont have any super desire to upgrade the dac…the B2 IMO is just fine. I had several other pricey dacs here one was the Chord TT2 and it didnt improve anything for me here and definitly no worth $5495 for it…but thats me.

If i see a good deal on a YGGY 2 I might spring for it…maybe…seeing how they (Schiit) are working on 2 new analog cards…

1 Like
1 Like

Well the D8000 Pros for me are just what I have been looking for…lots of great cans out there and they all are special in their own right…

These are up there in price for sure…but if you add up the cost of all those cans before these…it might have been less costly just to but these up front!!

lol!

Alex

1 Like

After weeks of listening with the D8000 Pros…I am selling my Focal MG Clears, Hedds. IMO these cans provide me with what I was looking for in headphone land for years…all around great headphones.

I just plugged in a lesser used amp after using the HPA-1 and Whammy and RNHP amp…the Schiit LYR 3. Its a very nice pairing…enough power to make them really come alive…

Lots of smiles here…3 dimensional soundstage…

I have a few really old NOS 6SN7GT’s from the early 40’s…sweet sound.

If anyone is interested in Focal Clear Pro MG’s (the red earpads) or Hedds send me a PM.

All the best
Alex

3 Likes

Not the Pro version but interesting nonetheless :+1:

3 Likes

Final Audio doesnt get the exposure that many other headphones get…they are up there in price for sure.

But recently I purchased a iFI Pro DSD device and the results with the D8000 Pros I have are a 11 out of a ten with good recordings.

Highly recommend if you get a chance to take a listen.
of those good things at a ridiculously low price. Highly recommended.

1 Like

D8000 Pro vs LCD-R

Ok, so going back and forth between the LCD-R (on jot A) and D8000P (on my best amp for it), I think they are within the same tier but I think the LCD-R just nudges the D8kp out in the majority of technical areas. This is a bit hard to compair purely because they present so differently though.

Detail: I think in raw outright detail the LCD-R wins, but its detail is also quite a bit more forward. Where the d8kp realy shines in the category though is dynamic range. It renders nearly silent background tracks in an almost ethereal manner that makes them far easier to follow than on the LCD-R, but in heavily congested tracks the LCD-R feels like it has an extra level of clarity that allows for more detail to shine though much more naturaly

Stage and layering: the stage size with both of these is a bit hard to pin down. Its neither small nor massive. They tend to fall in a more of middle road with stage size imo, but both do super low level sounds out from infinity quote well. Where these two differ quite greatly is how they use their stage. The LCD-R is a much more arya like experience with hyper clear imaging layering while the d8kp has a very dynamic stage as well (in that it uses its entire range of distances quite well) but presents the imaging in quite a different way focusing more on track cohesion than outright image clarity. This leads to some astonishingly good ambient music with amazing background mixes becoming quite involving and emotional but can struggle with raw detail in congested tracks. On the other hand the LCD-R can sound comparatively sterile at times rendering you each part of the music separately in its own image but truly excelling at detail in congested tracks.

Punch & slam: tbh, neither can realy shines here but the d8kp hits a bit harder while the R feels snappier and faster. Over all their bass is quite equal in quality just slightly different presentations and stagings.

Texture: this one is a bit of a toss up over all. I think the mid texture is subjectively more to my preference on the d8kp but the bass texture is objectively better with the much faster driver. Micro details in the bass abound on both, but the R just does it ever so slightly better.

Timbre: the d8kp is no slouch but it has to go to the LCD-R here. Its seriously is in a leage of the highest tier in this area.

Complaints: both these fucks like to drive ice picks into my brain from time to time. Seriously wish I could find a darker can at this level…

Overall: they are quite different and, imo, fit will side by side in a 3-4 can collection but in a 2 can one thy are too similar simply due to the FR similarities alone

5 Likes

Very interesting comparison, a Ribbon vs a Planar.

Good to see you got one of these limited editions LCD 's.

The D8000 Pro here is one of the best all around headphones I have ever heard. To include the Susvaras…just floats my boat here!

The dac pairing here to me really makes a BIG difference.

Never had the “ice” pick experience here…lol

Enjoy the music!
Alex

P6 pro, Hugo 2, and SP1000 alp give me the ice pick. I oersonaly find the amp pairing to be the real issue with some real trebble fatigue going on for me with most amps. I’d love to try a warmer solid state but I don’t currently own one. Just BX2+, Phantasy ii, and mass kobo 428. Plus tbh, I didn’t realy like the d8kp directly out of any of my daps either

1 Like

I use a PassLabs HPA-1, its slightly warm and feed it with a new iFI Pro DSD MD dac. Prior to this it was a Schiit Bifrost 2 (was warmer) the ifi is a bit more crisp for me.

With good recordings its a 11 out of a 10 here for me…

I sold all my cans and kept the D8000 Pro’s…for me its the TOTL one.

Don use any DAPS. just desktop at home serious listening for me here.

Fwiw, as a dac, all three of those should be at least on the level of the pro dsd. As far as amps thiugh, yes I am likely lagging behind a bit there. You can only scale so high being portable only

1 Like

I was floored at the difference this new dac has made with the D8000 Pros…so much I sold my Empyreans, Focals, Hedd’s and others…feeding it into the HPA-1, I am pretty much at point where its hard to get any better…

Just loving it…

1 Like

As about good as it gets for me…

2 Likes

D8Kpro is on my short list. I want to hear a Diana V2 or Phi and also D8Kpro before I decide on/purchase a new headphone.

The wrench atm is that I am currently auditioning an LCD-24 and honestly smitten by it. I know it’s not the same or a replacement for a D8Kpro or Diana in signature, but still I am liking it alot and it will come down to one of these three in the end that I add to the collection.

RE:D8Kpro
How do you find the comfort - earpads to head - the ear opening looks smaller than the others, do they fit more on ear than over? Also, the weight and clamp, how are those? Do they move around alot on your head?

2 Likes

I find comfort perfectly acceptable. Not astonishingly comfortable but I would never call them uncomfortable either. Also, they fit all the way over my ears personaly

2 Likes

I can wear them for hours, they are on the heavy side, the fit for me is they are just a tad loose and I have to put a small cloth between my head and the headband this is with the adjustments all the way up. Looks like its made to fit bigger heads!! lol

That said you can easily wrap the headband with one of the many “warps” and work ok, but then again your head may fit very well.

One great thing is the bass is not picky with having to have a perfect seal…they are designed this way on purpose. so folks with glasses dont loose any of the low end.

I spent three solid hours today of sonic bliss…just exploring sounds and how things are recorded, the are that revealing, the bass is Abyss 1266 like…really close…

They will allow you to discern the other stuf in your chain,this could be costly for you!! lol !

Fit over my ears is not an issue at all for me. Comfort is not a good as my Empyreans but they are really light in comparison…

All in all its not perfect, but the sound, is so dang well done I easily overlook the small wort’s …yes for the price you can argue they should be perfect right from the get go… but its what it is.

For me they made me easily sell my Empyreans, Hedds, Focal Clear MG Pros and others…without really missing any of them…

I could have saved a ton of money if I bought these at first!!

I would still highly recommend these headphones…but like always we all hear differently so you need to try them…

Alex

3 Likes

Thanks for the detailed reply, good information.
:+1:

2 Likes

Your welcome!

1 Like

I have been tempted many time to buy the ADX 5000’s, but afraid it will be too thin on the low end but would probably be a great compliment to the D8000 Pros in house…

Alex

I would agree, although on the right amp it can be pretty neutral if you have something to fill out the low end a bit. But yes it definitely doesn’t have bass like the d8kp

1 Like