šŸ”¶ Focal Clear Mg

That may be the case. For whatever reason, Iā€™ve noticed that several of us are pairing the Mg with the Jot2, so I wonder they just really like that amp?

2 Likes

I am using SMSL M400+SP400, sounds very good. But canā€™t compare it with anything beside Fiio BTR5.

Yep I also came to that same conclusion with my T1s.

Like I said, I believe this is more what you and I were looking for when it came from using the TYGR 300 R and upgrading to the new T1 3rd gen. Which didnā€™t actually work out in the long run.

1 Like

There may be a good synergy with the Clear MG/Jotenheim 2, but I havenā€™t heard that combination yet. Iā€™m currently using an Rupert Neve Designs RNHP and a Schiit Vali 2+. They both have their strengths, but I lean towards the RNHP. If it had more power I think it would be better (not for achieving loudness, but to better control the driver).

Iā€™ve also tried the Schiit Valhalla which was pretty good.

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen a lot of others talk about the RNHP here, what direction does its sound lean? I hadnā€™t been giving any consideration towards another amp since I like the Jot2 so much, as Iā€™d rather upgrade from the Modius to the Bifrost 2 first. But things to think about for the future never hurts.

Itā€™s very neutral/transparent to source, really displaying immense amounts of detail, imo. It also has a fantastically holographic sound to it.

The soundstage is narrow however, due to its recording/mastering roots. But itā€™s definitely my favorite ā€œreferenceā€ amplifier that Iā€™ve heard.

I actually pair it with a tube preamp (Schiit Saga+) and thatā€™s really helped open things up a bit.

Check out the RNHP thread:

They are fantastic manā€¦and thats coming from someone who doesnā€™t have different amps/dacs to compare.

I know the complaint Josh had was on the soundstageā€¦but dude the imaging is really good on these imo.

Glad you got a pair to listen to.

1 Like

Curious how the MG compares to the ZMF Auteur.

You gotta put that ā€œcomplaintā€ in context with the headphone he compared the Clear MG toā€¦ Sennheiser HD 800s which has one of the largest stages, (if not the largest) of any headphone.

It wasnā€™t a complaint but more of a comparison.

3 Likes

Found another review. Not sure if this has been posted here. I may have to scroll up again to double check lol

Edit: itā€™s been posted lol, I had a feeling.

I also found somebody local selling a focal clear for $900 in excellent condition, im really close on getting it but whatā€™s holding me back is if the $600 difference worth getting the MG instead.

Iā€™m torn on this. Because I passed on the chance to get the Clear for $990 since I was going to have to wait for them to come back into stock, and I got the Clear Mg instead. I donā€™t regret spending the extra money, but for transparency sake, Iā€™ve never heard the OG Clear. Do I think the Clear Mg $600 better than the OG? I would say likely not. But for something this expensive, thereā€™s also things like the warranty to keep in mind. So itā€™s a tough decision. If they were both new, Iā€™d say get the OG unless you were 100% certain that you would prefer the sound of the Mg and you didnā€™t care about the money. But with the OG being used, like I said, Iā€™m torn.

1 Like

Thanks for your input. I am torn as well.

If it would save me $600, that $ can go towards a bifrost 2.

If thatā€™s the case, then Iā€™d lean a bit more towards doing it. But Iā€™d still be fairly torn.

I know we all hear differently and have our own preferences, but the Focal MG sounds absolutely amazing to me. They have very articulate and punchy bass. The midrange and treble soundā€¦clear. You are on the stage with the singer and surrounded by the band. I have never defined a headphone as having a small soundstage based on how close you feel you are to the stage. I prefer to be up on stage right in front of the singer and surrounded by the musicians and instruments. But I want the stage to be wide and spread out. Well these do that in spades. The stage may be right in front of you, but it is not narrow by any means. The HD600/650/660/6XX are vastly more narrow. These image at least as wide as my Verite Open. In fact, I like these so much, I may be selling my Verite soonā€¦

These are built well, look gorgeous, and sound like they look. To my ears, these are underrated.

5 Likes

Agreed. :+1:t4:

1 Like

Agreed. :+1:t4:

1 Like

I have the OG professionals, am intrigued enough with the MG to consider them, especially off ur saying they are making you want to sell ur Verites, interesting. I agree as well with the 600 series stage, own both. Still undecided about amplification

The specs would have you believe these are very easy to drive, and they are if all you want is loudness. But they scale quite a bit with more power, and that shocked me considering their impedance of only 55 ohms and high sensitivity. But they sound the best to me on high gain with my THX 789. And on some quieter albums, like Pink Floydā€™s The Final Cut, the volume pot will be as high as 11-12 oā€™clock! And that is insane since thatā€™s about where I have it with my 300 ohm Verite!!!

1 Like

I canā€™t quite tell if Iā€™ve noticed that or not with the Jot2 or if my mind is just playing tricks with me. But Iā€™m only able to use it in high gain on the SE out maybe 40% of the time and almost never when running balanced out. It seems like there is just a little more there at comparable volumes when I am able to switch to high gain, but it could just be that I have so little viable pot range on high gain that I wind up playing things a little louder unintentionally.

In an alternate universe the MG in Clear MG stands for magnetism.

No wonder theyā€™re so good.

5 Likes