šŸ”¶ Focal Clear

They have similar width, but the clear has more depth and better recreation of verticality depending on the amp imo

2 Likes

I just pulled the trigger on the clears. Everyone seems to compare it to the aryas and pick the arya. Hope I donā€™t regret itā€¦

1 Like

Honestly I could own both the arya and the clear and be happy, personally I canā€™t say I really prefer one over the other

How does the ZMF Auteur compare to them both?

I could only afford to buy one as of the moment. Would you say they can both compliment each other in a collection?

So generally I will say that both the clear and the arya have fairly unique presentation and spatial recreation (where the clear is a bit more intimate spherical/bubble with lots of depth and the arya is a more grand some might say speaker like presentation) where the auteur is going to be more average/normal imo (but still good). Timbre wise I think the autuer has the most natural timbre and most organic sound. Control wise I might say depending on the amp the clear has the most control out of the bunch at times. Impact wise the auteur has the most organic impact where the arya has the largest sounding impact, the clear sits in the middle imo. Detail wise, I might actually argue the clear has the most detail retrieval for the price but that depends on the amp and the arya can be more reliably detailed, auteur isnā€™t far behind both tbh. Both the clear and auteur are something I would call neutral, and the arya is more bright neutral I would say. In terms of smoothness or forgivingness, the auteur seems to be the most forgiving, but the clear can actually be forgiving at times, where the arya can feel more raw at times. In terms of refinement I do think the clear and auteur sound more refined than the arya. Amp wise for pairing it can really depend the arya is clearly the most amp dependent in terms of power, but the clear is the most amp picky quality wise, the auteur sits somewhere in the middle

6 Likes

I think if you didnā€™t mind having 2 neutral cans I think they are different enough to justify owning both if you want different flavors of neutral (which is pretty worthwhile)

1 Like

Can you elaborate to me about the impact part? How large or organic an impact is, isnā€™t something Iā€™ve really heard mentioned before.

So I think the auteur has impact thatā€™s most natural to life in attack and decay, when a drum hits it doesnā€™t sound overly fast or overly slow or thick, it just sounds right imo. For largeness, the arya asserts almost like a more grand or massive presence, like larger than life, it just gives you impact thatā€™s like you put your head next to the drum, it can make things sound large and almost like a pressurized room at the time where you can feel the impact on your head more. It just sounds massive at times.

1 Like

@M0N if I liked the Eikons over the Clears, should I take aim at the Arya?

uhhhhhh, you like the hex v2 correct? Since that would be a closer comparison, if you liked the eikon over the clears that doesnā€™t really clue me in on if the arya is a good fit tbh

How is the arya vs hexv2?

The arya is more resolving, less relaxed, has better technicalities but ends up loosing some of the slight warmth and smoothness for a more neutral bright signature thatā€™s a bit more forward, similar but more advanced presentation to the hex v2

1 Like

Ah Ok, for my tastes probably not my cup of tea to go from hexv2 to arya. Thanks @M0N

Sorry this is the clear page but to continue thisā€¦ Does the edition x v2 sound large like the arya just warmer and smoother? or thatā€™s a special trait for the arya?

Yes, the hex v2 sounds just as large, just a bit warmer and smoother and a bit less capable technicality wise

2 Likes

Great thanks.

After a certain price arenā€™t like 90% of headphones are neutral? What do you think would be my next purchase? Since all my headphones have narrow to medium sound stage I would probably want the next one with wide sound stage while still having good detail, bass and preferably a planar. What options can you suggest that are less than $2000?

For wide soundstage people recommend HD 800s in that Price range which i have. But i also said: I want a Planarā€¦

2 Likes

No not really, there are indeed neutral ones out there but many flagships have their own takes on the voicing

Depends on how you end up feeling about your most recent buy imo

Would buying used count? Also are you going to upgrade your source gear as well?