šŸ”¶ Focal Clear

I saw torqs measurements and all the pad swaps. It was on mini ears tho. I think the Utopia pads will make the clears sound close to their stock sound. Maybe a little more bass because the leather.

1 Like

Detail isnā€™t everything, I donā€™t think many disregard detail, but instead are looking for a natural sound which goes along with tonality. IMO a good headphone will have good detail and sound natural presenting it, I personally donā€™t prefer to sacrifice too much tonality for detail (but that depends on the headphone)

1 Like

I think because you can have tons of detail/information and it sounds like itā€™s coming from a tin can. But you can sacrifice some detail and have good timbre.

I know but to me detail is everything. the most important feature of a headphone

Gotcha, then it seems you have your priorities in order, there are a few headphones like that for sure out there.

I was so use to the hd800S because I used it for awhile straight that I couldnā€™t appreciate the clears. I stopped listening to the hd800S and only listened to the clears for a week. Went back to the hd800S and they still sound large, detailed, but much thinner and less natural than the clears. I now like the clears more. And I honestly think I like my Verite more now too.

HD800S brain burn in was real.

6 Likes

How would you say the detail is on the Verite compared to the 800s and Clears?

Ok, Iā€™m not the best at this, but Iā€™ll try. People like Mon and others are much better with this lol.
The Verite is very detailed, but does it in a natural way. They have body and depth to the music. For example if thereā€™s a band playing, you know the drummer is behind the singer and you can actually visualize the depth. With the clears itā€™s the same but maybe the separation is closer together (maybe due to the smaller driver? Idk) And with the hd800S thereā€™s separation but the separation is better horizontally not depth wise. Itā€™s like the hd800S is stretched out wide but thin sounding. The presentation is still big though. They sound large but the body isnā€™t there. The hd800S has depth at times but not as good as the Verite imo. But the hd800S do better with imaging horizontally because of the space they have to work with. I think this can be an illusion with the imaging though. They come off as having blackness between the instruments but after listening to the Verite itā€™s not as natural. The large stage helps the hd800S here. Without it they wouldnā€™t have much. They do have a large presentation though.

With the Verite you get all the high notes but to me nothing comes across harsh. With the hd800S it can be a little harsh or I would say more annoying than the clears or the Verite. And thatā€™s using the hd800S on a tube.

The Verite bass hits low, fast and is clean. The clears bass is very solid as well. The clears get surprisingly low. The hd800s has bass but comes in last here.
The Verite stage is natural. Iā€™d say about as wide as the Clear maybe a little more? But Iā€™m not sure. The hd800S is obviously wider but imo less depth or thinner depth depending on the track. Again, the 800 can come across as having more detail or separation initially (hd800S brain burn in) but I think thats because of the huge stage it works with. And though it has a large stage the timbre is thin in comparison. Much thinner than the Verite. The vocals on 800 initially made me feel they were clearer but I think they are actually thinner. If that makes sense. The Verite and even the Clear seems more natural than the hd800S. And many call the Clears metallic, but I wouldnā€™t.

I would recommend Mons advice. Use a headphone for a week straight and then compare. Especially if your brain is use to one headphone for so long. The human body is remarkable and adapts. Same goes for hearing, we adapt.

None of these are bad headphones. And Iā€™d take any of them but the hd800S is no longer my favoriteā€¦

6 Likes

Honestly, if detail is all you care about then maybe you should buy a Beyerdynamic T90, Grado SR325 or STAX. No point in buying anything else based on your preferences.

I didnā€™t know these were known for detail lol

1 Like

Some consider them the brightest headphones of that price range. Highly detailedā€¦but I presonally think the lack of natural soundstage causes them to sound claustrophobic. I also forgot to mention the Audio Technica ATH-M70X. Those things violated my ear drums, lol.

1 Like

Detail isnt ALL i care about lol. I just said its the most important. of course I want the other great features a headphone can give. Iā€™m using a Arya right now which is very detailed. But i have my eye on the Utopia, which is supposed to be a detail king, and the Verite. Also the Heddphone looks interesting and the Abyss 1266. Not sure which among these has the most detail. but i can feel sure they cover the other bases as well.

1 Like

Well, if you are stepping into that price range, then look for an ab1266 phi cc or tc, stax 009 or 009mk2, sonoma m1 or something along those lines as those are very very detailed for sure. Look used and you will find most in around 3k. Keep in mind that for the abyss you would want to get a higher tier amp, you would need a higher tier stax energizer for the 009, and nothing for the sonoma m1 since itā€™s a closed system.

Something else would be the raal sr1a with the schiit jotunheim r

2 Likes

The Abyss 1266 is for you if you are in that price range, I agree with @M0N

1 Like

You may not be like Mon but you did a really good job of it lol. Thanks. now i have a better idea of these headphones. I did think the 800s would suffer for its unnatural soundstage. and its body lacking makes sense. The Verite having ā€œnaturalā€ detail concerns me. Makes me think other headphone might have more detail. hmm. I wish i could try all these headphones and i was gonna go to Canjam in LA when it came. But with Corona i dont think its gonna happen. iā€™m not the healthiest person in the world and im afraid if i catch it itā€™ll kill me. also i visit my parents a lot and their in their 80ā€™s

2 Likes

Thanks iā€™ll look into those. Not the STAX though. the whole energizer thing bugs me a lot lol. and i heard the L700 lacks bass

The l700 does indeed feel a bit lacking in the low end at times. The only bassy estat I have tried (and own) is the 007mk2.

When i say natural itā€™s not dark or muddy at all. Itā€™s clean, clear, but natural sounding in comparison to other headphones like the hd800S.

@Antpage2 If itā€™s detail youā€™re after, the Utopia should not disappoint. Plus theyā€™ll have a great timbre, and excellent build, unlike Hifiman.

Just take the plunge already.

2 Likes

lol yeah i was gonna then BING! Corona! See i need to sell some headphones to get the money together to buy them.

1 Like