šŸ”¶ Focal Clear

They do scale well, and theyā€™re very transparent. They actually sound really good on the DFC.

1 Like

You got the professional or the regular version?

I have the regular version with the grease magnet pads. :grin:

EDIT: the pads arenā€™t really any more absorbent of oil than any others. The light color just makes is more obvious, lol.

4 Likes

What would be considered an upgrade to the Focal Clears with similiar sound signature?

Hmmm I would say utopia but itā€™s a tad more fun and a tad brighter, but it would closest match the focal presentation and house sound imo

1 Like

I see, thank you. Does anyone by chance have experience with focalā€™s warranty policy when buying used ? Is the warrenty tied to the first buyer or does the warranty transfer?

I wouldā€™ve put these in the deals thread but it still doesnā€™t seem like a deal tbhā€¦ anyways clear pads 25% off

2 Likes

Lol at least itā€™s less painful than new price

1 Like

Iā€™m a bit of a neat freak so I think ill be biting the bullet on theseā€¦ anyone have any luck cleaning the headband? ive tried mild soap and all purpose cleaner to some success but im not content just yet

I donā€™t think there is a way to safely remove the coloration 100%, but I know focal recommends a special soap but I canā€™t recall what itā€™s called

1 Like

I think it was Fer de Cheval.

Itā€™s a little pricey across the pond. Here is some ā€œstain removerā€ that is potentially the same but under a different label. Warning: I havenā€™t tried it, its a little pricey atm.

CAN

US
https://www.amazon.com/Soap-Stain-remover-300-Marseille/dp/B01N4MU3NP

4 Likes

oh thanks man, I couldnā€™t track it downā€¦ also found a good price in Canada:

1 Like

I just got the clears in yesterday and they sound amazing! I opted getting these open box over the elex since I didnā€™t want to wait the 3 months for them. I am powering them with the THX 789. Is it worth the extra money I paid for the clears over the elex with my amp? Or will I not get the full benefit without upgrading my amp?

1 Like

Pretty much this, but for the time being the 789 should be fine, although you might be surprised how much they increase in performance with a better amp imo, they really kinda become a different headphone in some ways. They are pretty much on par with the elex with a different signature when you run them off a 789, but with a better amp they drastically increase in technical ability

3 Likes

does/can timbre improve with higher tiered amps or dacs?

1 Like

I would say so yes

2 Likes

Makes sense thank you. Would it be worth keeping the clears if I donā€™t plan on upgrading my amp anytime soon? The clear was already out of budget so I wonā€™t be making any audio purchases for a while. Iā€™m guessing if I am keeping the 789, just save myself some money and get the elex, and if I plan on upgrading, keep the clears to leave myself room for improvement?

I mean what time frame is soon just to check, rolling with the clears for some months on the thx is just fine, but if you donā€™t plan to upgrade amps in the future I do think the elex is the better value here imo

Yes, the elex arenā€™t too picky about the amp, but donā€™t really scale like the clears do. Also itā€™s a preference thing too, assuming itā€™s on a thx, the elex will be more w shaped and dynamic, the clear will be more neutral, do you would be getting a more fun headphone, since the elex vs clear on the thx are similar technicality wise

2 Likes

Probably like 6+ months from now unless a crazy deal pops up. How much more do you think I would have to spend to get the most out the clears? I can probably just stick with the thx for a while since it seems to be selling pretty well anyways on the market.

The only headphones Iā€™ve used are bose qc35, senn 6xx, and sundaras. Iā€™m not really sure what a ā€œmore funā€ headphone sounds like so Iā€™m not entirely sure. Iā€™m pretty new to headphones. Iā€™m coming from speakers and a sub (infinity r162 + svs sb12-nsd) and have had a hard time finding headphones comparable to the setup.

You could go with something like a rupert neve rnhp which is a great pairing with the clears at 500 (or like 400 used), but imo if you want to maximize what they can do going for a violectric v280 or questyle cma800r at around the 1k ish range is a good place to be imo. At that point later on you would want to beef up your dac as well

So the elex will have a boost in the bass and midrange impact and presence, it will also be a bit more dynamic, essentially more colored but in an enjoyable way compared to the more neutral clear

1 Like