šŸ”¶ Focal Clear

You took me by surprise with the Al/Mg Clears being discontinued. I had assumed Focal would keep both models in their product line, given how popular the originals have been and the likelihood that some would prefer one version over the other. But on reflection, Focal is making such a big deal about the visual re-branding of their line-up, they may well be firm on discontinuing the old-look Al/Mg model. And it rarely hurts to have fewer SKUs on inventory. If so, those with Al/Mg Clears may find their re-sale value holds up very well, depending on how many people make noise that they preferred the old modelā€™s sonic signature.

But as to Adorama, Iā€™d think that if Adorama has a large quantity of the old model on its shelves at this time and they see a surge of pre-orders for the Mg, they might do the clearance thing. Or they might consider that the Al/Mg Clears were brisk sellers and wait to see whether the reception of the Mg model makes it likely that sales of the Al/Mg model are going to dry up going forward.

And by the way ā€“ do we know that the non-Pro Mg and the Pro Mg will have identical tuning as the Al/Mg models did? I could see them upping the bass and/or relaxing the highs a bit for the music enjoyment focused model.

1 Like

I get the timbre comments, but whenever I see someone call the Clears bright I always think they are probably driving them from the wrong source. I waited almost a year for the 2nd big Drop release of the 789, and this was the headphone that immediately showed me that amps limitations. Whenever I see someone say they donā€™t hear the difference between the Clear and the Elex, Iā€™d bet money they are running them off a 789.

To me, my favorite thing about the Clears, and good dynamic driver headphones and iems in general, is the physical impact they deliver, and the Clears may be my favorite headphone for that experience. I also love tube amps, but Focals and tubes havenā€™t worked out for me in the past. Itā€™s almost as if the tubes overemphasize that slam and muddies everything in the process. I usually donā€™t hate it at first listen, but after two to three songs I want to switch vs. wanting to listen for hours on a SS amp or DAP.

This time last year I got my ampsandsound Bigger Ben. I thought having the 5 output impedance taps would give me better control over it than the normal hi/lo gain, but the Clears still didnā€™t sound good off the 32ohm, 16ohm, or low ohm tap (still not sure if its a 4 or 8 ohm tap). I kept the stock tubes Justin sent me, using the NOS KT77s for a full 10 months before I began swapping, and never liked the Clears. I donā€™t remember if it was something Justin had said when I bought the amp, or I had read somewhere, but he doesnā€™t like Focal headphones at all. I took at as confirmation that they just didnā€™t cooperate with tubes since everything else including iems sound great.

Iā€™ve since swapped everything out a few times, but finally seem to have found a decent match for the Clears. Funny enough, itā€™s the tubes Justin recommends on his page:

Tube Selection:
Input tube: 6SL7 or equivalent
Output tubes: 6L6GC, EL34s, KT66, KT77, KT88, 6550s and KT90s
A personal favorite is the Tungsol 6L6GC STR. Warm, strong and tight bass.

I bought a pair of non-matched, new production tung sol 6L6GC STRs for $22/ea on Amazon and they have been my favorite tubes with the Clears by a mile. Every once in awhile Iā€™ll hear a song thatā€™s a bit too punchy for me, but it was 50% or more of the time where it was just too much for me with other combos. The synergy works pretty well with my other main headphones as well, so Iā€™m going to stick with it a bit before I roll again, but Iā€™m really excited at the idea of being able to use my Clears at my preferred setup regardless instead of telling myself they sound just as good off my M15

edit: $22 tubes made my choice of not going with a 300b amp feel pretty good

2 Likes

Been eyeing the Clears for months now, so I hope so haha. Thatā€™s how I got a pair of Elegias!

I waited almost a year for the 2nd big Drop release of the 789, and this was the headphone that immediately showed me that amps limitations. Whenever I see someone say they donā€™t hear the difference between the Clear and the Elex, Iā€™d bet money they are running them off a 789.

Yeah, Focal cans tend to be pretty revealing of components in the signal path. I recently had a Radiance for a week and running it off a BF2 > 789 chain (xlr input/output) was just plain awful (undefined bass, hollow sounding lower mids, thin mids, and tinny and sharp treble); I was similarly displeased with the Elex and Elegia when trying them on a SDAC-B > 789 chain, not to the extent as with the Radiance though. Unfortunately, at the time of listening to the Elex and Elegia, I only had a 789, an OTL, and a speaker amp for my HE-6, so no really good amp pairings for these two cans.

Back to the Radiance, matters improved tremendously with a tube somewhere in the signal path, even if it is just for the preamp stage of hybrid amps (CTH: 6C8G or WE 396A; LP: 50ā€™s ECC88 or 6N3P). The Radiance started sounding much more normal to my ears. Unfortunately, the relative lack of bass definition and texture that Iā€™m used to the HD800S and planars couldnā€™t be rescued was a big minus to me when it came to the Radiance. Still, the 789 made them sound like $50 cans. The problem is many that reviewers use the 789 and its ilk as benchmark amps for their reviews.

The FOCAL Clear MG Pro is not bright IMO. Iā€™ve got to up the volume on them considerably before the treble kicks in.

It appears FOCAL set out to correct the timbre issues with their driver and to my ears, theyā€™ve done a good job all while keeping the CLEAR a very revealing headphone with even better dynamics and extended bass.

I have some new equipment coming in the next few weeks for pairing purposes but as it stands, I feel the Clear MG could have more treble sparkle. Still, an impressive step forward for the Clear which already was a great headphone.

2 Likes

Have you received your Clears yet? I was told they would come in by the end of February but they have not come back in stock yet. Iā€™ve already been charged (via PayPal) and it is almost a month since I made the order.

Nopeā€¦ I was planning on contacting them again today. Not pleased TBH.

1 Like

Hello everyone, happy to write in this amazing forum.

I also ordered the OG Clears with the discount almost three weeks ago; I contacted headphones.com last Friday and they claim Focal hasnā€™t shipped the headphones yet. Iā€™m wondering if the release of the new Mg model (non-Pro) might be influencing thingsā€¦ Not looking very optimistic right now

1 Like

Agreed. Iā€™m surprised when I read impressions that state the MG are reduced in treble. The only thing my ears detect is a smoother tone, but itā€™s still a neutral-bright headphone, imo.

Itā€™s much faster, more dynamic, and better detailed.

Looking forward to hearing how the new gear pairings work out.

Cheers.

Agreed. The timbre improvement is huge for me. The Clear MG sounds much more natural to me which was my biggest gripe with the aluminum/magnesium FOCALs.

Coming from THX 789, the Jot2 is a much larger audible change than I expected. Breaking both the Clear and Jot2 in together. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Just a little update for those who ordered OG Clear from headphones.com. Apparently Focal is having some production delays, but have been able to procure units from Australia that will arrive in 2 weeks. Letā€™s see what happensā€¦

I just got this same email :crossed_fingers:

Same email as well. :crossed_fingers:t2:

Thatā€™s awesome.

You know, the Bifrost is a very popular DAC and it would stack nicely with that new Jotā€¦

Iā€™m glad youā€™re enjoying them. I ordered a Norne Audio Silvergarde S3 cable for mine. Iā€™ll let you know if/what any changes occur.

Cheers.

1 Like

Shouldnā€™t there be a new thread for the new Clears? They do have a different sound right?

lol, I should have a Corpse Cable coming tomorrow for the Clear. Was literally thinking about ordering the Bifrost 2 today.

Thereā€¦ Happy now?

Yes, considerably so.

5 Likes

Haha, I am. I think youā€™re gonna be very happy too. :ok_hand:t4:

1 Like

Welcome to the club! I think youā€™ll love the combination with the Jotunheim 2.

1 Like

Has arrived.

10 Likes

It would be great to see a new thread for the new MG Proā€™s as they do have a different sig. Resolve even said during his latest Q&A that he does not like them as much as the original due to some differences in the bass and treble. Iā€™d really like to see some measurements just to compare to the OG Clear. Iā€™m strongly considering this purchase and just want to decide between the MG Pro and just the Pro. I love the aesthetics of this new one so Iā€™m leaning towards the Red/Black Clearā€™s if I donā€™t get the MG.