šŸ”¶ Focal Clear

Thanks for the replies. Yeah Schiit gear is going to mean I will be without any dac or amp for I think 3-5 months or soā€¦ Sadly the monolith not really available in EU (only for 1200ā€¦).

I guess I should go and listen to some amps before just ordering one (or just order one and be willing to send it backā€¦).

I personally prefer the MG on sth dryer and more analytical as itā€™s already tuned more musical than the OG, but thatā€™s just me. I think you can go for the standard recommendations like Denafrips Ares II or Soekris 1321 + LakePeopel G111 or Violectric V200 or RNHP if you wanna avoid Schiit. The DAC would be as good whereas the amps would be higher performing than Jot 2 in terms the quality.

1 Like

yeah, not a fan of it. MG is already a warmer variant of clear og and the LP warms things up a bit too muchā€¦ too colored and smooth. Just doesnā€™t bring out the best on the mg

if your looking for an amp with great synergy that would be like the RNHP ampā€¦ does extremely well.

Depends on the tubes I guess. I preferred the Clear MG on my LP (RCA Command 5814Aā€™s)+BF2 over a THX AAA 789+BF2. The Clear MG wasnā€™t too bad with my 789 compared to all of the other Focals that Iā€™ve tried on the 789, which were horrid imo (Elex, Elegia, Radiance).

Thnx, what sub 500 dac would you advice with the RNHP?

Pairing it with the Soekris would give me no opportunity to also connect speakers on my desk (Amp has no pre-out, dac has only 1 output).

Nobody here tried the Clears directly on an RME-ADI-2 internal amp?

Edit: Remember someone (I think M0N) advised the Allo revolution. Sadly that also only has one outputā€¦ but I am intrigued by the harmonic distortion options of the DAC (although the SMSL SU-9 has a similar feature, with multiple outputsā€¦). Might need to let go of my wish to have a desk stereo system in the futureā€¦ but not there yetā€¦

I donā€™t know that Iā€™d pair a Soekris with the RNHP, as it tends to push things toward thin and slightly harsh from a synergy perspective. If you can find a Bifrost 2 used around $500, that is a good match to the RNHP. It can put signal out of both balanced and single ended outputs at the same time, but is not a pre-amp. It also generally doesnā€™t hurt to split the output (no more than once).

1 Like

Hmm didnā€™t think about splitting the output, that is a good point actually. Pre amp is not a problem perse, could get an speaker amp with pre-amp.

Oh man there is sooo much choice on the market these days lmao. And so many different oppinions it is baffling trying to make a choice just from online reading.

1 Like

Took the plunge, ordered Singxer SA1 and SMSL SU9.

Honestly, the whole search for ā€œthe bestā€ item was making me somewhat miserabele pas days. What are we talking about here, maybe 5% differences? Both of these are really liked by the community, so it should be a safe bet. And if I donā€™t like them, I have time to order something different and can sell these.

Glad the decision has been made lmao. This was taking way to much of my time

3 Likes

It will be interesting to hear your impressions! :+1:

The SA-1 is a good option considering you wanted a pre-out. The ADI-2 is also great if you take advantage of its feature set. But if not, then I generally recommend other dacs.

Yeah I love the features on one hand. But on the other hand, I have a mini-DSP in my main stereo system and sometimes too lazy to tweak with it lol.

I wanted good sound for when I am working, not sound I need to tweak instead of working :wink:

Very compelling device though.

Will post my findings, but can only compare to my schiit hel 2, and stuff I listened to a month ago or so so that will be extremele hard

1 Like

Is the consensus still that unless Iā€™m willing to upgrade my amp (currently an Asgard 3) , I shouldnā€™t bother with a Clear?

I dont see what would be wrong with trying it out just that theres better pairing options up the chain. Much like 600 ohm beyers scale like crazy but it doesnt hurt on $100 amps

Depends on how much youā€™re paying for the Clear. The Elex is probably the more sensible option for most people if using a $200 amp. But personally, Iā€™d still pay the extra for Clear since I didnā€™t like the Elexā€™s tonality.

1 Like

As someone who owns a higher end dac/amp, I think the Asgard 3 does well with the Clears. I would probably recommend going for an AMP upgrade next, but I would say itā€™s fine and you will definitely still enjoy them quite a lot.

I pre-ordered the OG Clears for $990 new, these would be my end game. However, continuing to read forums Iā€™m having doubts. I have no plans to upgrade other parts of my setup, at least not anytime soon.

Currently my chain is:
ALC1220 > Optical (Monolith cable) > Modius > BJC LC-1 RCA > Asgard 3

With the above setup, would I be ā€œbetterā€ off going with the Elex for $700?

Current headphones:
HD58x, K7XX, Sundara, Nighthawk, SR2

*I get noticeable hiss at pretty much ear destroying volume on high gain when a usb data cable is plugged in. I donā€™t listen at volumes nearly that high, but Iā€™m worried about that raising the noise floor across the board so Iā€™m using optical and donā€™t have a usb cable plugged in to data.

Thanks

Ended up canceling my order for the OG Clears and got used Clear Proā€™s for $700.

3 Likes

Good move! Better colours and extra ear pads. :+1:

Ordered a Bifrost 2 now as well.

Hi all, just pulled the trigger on some OG Clears. Got them for a killer price! Has anyone tried these through a Burson C3P or C3R? really would like to know how this combo sounds. Cheers.