šŸ”¶ Focal Clear

Hey there Shane!

Yes this is gold info for me, thanks for detailing it all here.

Itā€™s very ironic though - my almost 4 year old Elex is not showing any signs at all of any discoloration - I assume neither must be your Elex. The Clear being a higher value offering by the company and not a Drop thing, must not at all be showing such signs. Very strange indeed.

Thanks for the input yet still! I guess I can sit back and relax after these findings. Guess Iā€™m still good!

1 Like

I am a Focal fanboy, but wow the HE6se V2ā€™s are Awesome. It has been a while, but they sound so good. I partner them up with my iFi Pro iCAN amp. With Windows volume at 100%, I canā€™t go past 10-11:00 in low gain. I jack up the bass boost and 3D sound effects and the sound is perfect for me.
I think the Clearā€™s might have even more bass and I am using bass boost. :grin:

But the sound is clean, clear and wide. When there is bass (like right now with a long run of Two Feet), they do indeed kick.
These compete nicely with my Clearā€™s/Elexā€™s and Grado GH2ā€™s at the top of my chain. I am looking forward to at least a week with these.

At $399.99, they are a CRAZY good deal. Especially if have a good amp to partner with them. Not just about power either.

1 Like

Shane, any thoughts on an A90D running the Hifiman HE6SE?

It would give you power to spare. The bigger question is how would it sound? I ran mine off a Liquid Platinum and it had tons of power, but didnā€™t really do much for me. I added a Schiit Loki to the chain to give it some slam. It helped but didnā€™t win me over. Of course we all hear differently.

You see many used HE6se V2ā€™s up for sale and I think it is mostly due to a bad partnership. An overused word on headphone forums is synergy. I think this is one case where it isnā€™t. Find the right partner and you will be thrilled for years.

2 Likes

Againā€¦ Thanks for the information. They sound interesting. How they will sound IS the question. Iā€™ll just have to do what Iā€™ve done with all my recent hifi purchases. Read and watch reviews, then take a shot. The only thing that disappointed me was the 660s. Gave them to my brother.

1 Like

interesting are you using stock pads? I honestly didnā€™t find the clear to have much bass (slightly elevated above neutral) I do have a few Dekoni pads that Iā€™ve been meaning to try out but havenā€™t gotten around to yet

I have gone through 7 pairs of Sennheisers. Safe to say that their house sound is not for me. :laughing:

1 Like

Stock pads are fine with me. To me, the Clearā€™s are noticeably bassier than my Elexā€™s. I did NOT expect that much difference.

I will let them sit for a week or two and then try them again.

1 Like

I have a pair of Momentum 3ā€™s I like. But I doubt Iā€™ll buy anything Sennheiser again. Too much other tempting stuff out there.

1 Like

How is posible know which is your music spl?
I wish know that but I donā€™t know how!!!

Sorry, but I donā€™t understand the question? Are you asking what genreā€™s I like? Or what my chain is? Probably, TMI, but here it goes:

1. I like new rock, classic rock, some blues and Really getting into horn jazz
  2. My chain is laptop via USB to Schiit Bifrost 2 and then XLR to iFi Pro iCAN/Violectric V220
  3. I am a quiet listener and never go above 75Dbā€™s. Most listenening is in the 60ā€™s DB range.

Did that cover it?

No. Not at all.
I wanted to know if it is possible to measure the volume in decibels that I hear.
I want to know this because I am afraid that my focal elegia and Clear will break.

I do measure my listening with a cheap decibel meter from Amazon. My ears are the most comfortable in the 60ā€™s, decibel wise, and that is where I normally hang out with peaks in the low 70ā€™s. Occasionally I get a little over excited and I think I might be listening a little too loud. And when I think that, thatā€™s usually what I am doing, but will take a measurement just to be sure. Then I turn it down.

Are you wondering about the problems that some people report at high volumes with Focal products? I canā€™t help you with that as I have never had any problems with them (Elegia, Elex, Clear and Radiance).

I am too old to be doing stupid stuff anymore. :grin:

1 Like

I have been noticing that it ranged between 70 and 80 db. I hope itā€™s not too much. Iā€™m talking about soundtracks.

80Dbā€™s is pretty loud, but there are people on here that listen louder. Itā€™s all about what you are comfortable with.

But 80+ DBā€™s has to hurt you in long run, if you are doing it regularly.

My listening periods are short. I donā€™t stay long.
Letā€™s see if I can find a way to measure it better.

Hey, if Amir isnā€™t deaf yetā€¦

But does he actually listen to music? :grin:

5 Likes

He hears the SINAD and distortion like nobody else at 114db.

2 Likes

Do any of them actually listen to music? :laughing:

1 Like