🔶 Focal Clear

Yeah we do… lol. Well shit man if it’s hard for you right now you can wait until such a purchase is more comfortable. Diminishing returns is a given ofcourse but I would expect the Clears to be good and quite a different experience the 660s.

Also you might want to look into the used market or consider the possibility of selling your pair later since the good thing about expensive gear is that at the end of the day it holds decent value.

1 Like

Reselling definitely is a plus. In the past two years I’ve sold an HD650 for a bit more than I got it for, and a DT880 for what I paid.

I know that if I got a Clear and liked it, I’d be able to recover the cost of the 660S no problem.

Yeah makes sense

I think it’s also something that comes with time, you might find you feel that way now, but not later on, but who knows, depends on the person of course where diminishing returns actually hits

I’d assume og clears are likely around their lowest point used (but could go lower, I’m not a used market analyst lol), but if you found a good used pair, you could likely sell them for basically what you bought them for at this point

2 Likes

OG clears now can be had for under $800 on Ebay. I haven’t checked the for sale listings on the forums. But yes: I’ve I can get a pair for $750 I expect to be able to resell for about that amount. That was the case with my HD650s, and I’m sure my HD660S. I absolutely do not buy this stuff at MSRP. Used or “open box” are the way to go.

2 Likes

The used market is awful these days. Bad or good depending on the side you are. I have seen hd660s for 250$ mint with no buyers. They were 300$ om adorama and amazon for a bit.
Also, there are few listing at head-fi where you can find clear OG for as low as 650$ with extras.

1 Like

I’m going to pick up the Focal Clear OG. I saw it for a decent price a few places. Do you think the MG is a step forward or a step back?

Stuff I read said it’s a step to the side. So, some like it better, and some like it less.

1 Like

Three years later, I have joined the Clear club. Right out of the box I am enjoying them.
They are plugged into the Violectric V220, along with the Elex’s, where they will battle to the death. :grin:

One thing that I can say for sure is that the very light grey is going to lose to my oily skin and hair. But that is a problem for 2023 Shane.

8 Likes

Sup Shane - Ah - a battle that I’m very keen to know the outcome of.

So how far apart are these?

I’ve had the Elex for 3 years now. Clear was just a tad bit over the budget - always the one that got away. I guess I want to be content. But give it to me simple, and give it to me plain:

Worth the climb up?

1 Like

WAY to early to tell which is better. I am just three hours into the Clears. I will go back and forth for at least a week. Then I will try something very different (SR2’s or HE6se V2’s) for a week or two and then come back.

To me, the black is SO much nicer and SO much more practical.

But these Clear’s are Awesome right out of the box. Of course I am coming off of about 11 days with Radiance/Cascades closed backs.

I have loved my Elex’s for about two and a half years. They have operated perfectly so far, but who knows how long they will go. The Clears were a Great price at $839.00 since I paid $599.00 for the Elex’s and I now have a three year warranty. There is a Focal shop in Canada (Quebec). I believe they will work on Clear’s, but not Elex’s. At least that is what I have read.

OG Clears originally sold for $1,999.00, plus tax (15%) in Canada. The Pro’s were $1,799.00 plus tax.
I landed these Clear’s at my door for $1,350.00 in Canuck bucks.

It was worth it to me, after three years of waiting/lusting. :grin:

2 Likes

I went looking for your post as I remembered it and wanted to reply to you.
The biggest difference is that the Clear’s have Much more bass. I actually prefer the Elex’s on some vocal (my favourite instrument) tracks. The Clear’s also take just a bit more power. It is noticeable enough when doing comparo’s that I had to keep adjusting the volume, but only a few clicks.

I have no idea what idiot picked these colours. They may look great on the shelf, but mine are starting to discolour already. That is 16 days in, with no hot weather. If you have oil in your skin or hair (like any human), they will dirty up quick.

I thought It would be an either/or thing. Now I am not sure. The extra bass of the Clear’s is nice, but the Elex’s sound a little more balanced.

However, when it comes to upgrading, that is tricky. I have always said that I would use the Elex’s until they broke and then I would get a Clear. Then the Clear’s were discontinued and heavily discounted. I decided to jump on the bandwagon.

Was the upgrade worth difference in money? Probably not. And I certainly wouldn’t stretch for it financially. But the warranty is nice, if you can afford it.

Wrap up: the Clear’s do NOT blow away or bury the Elex.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. I’ve been considering a similar path to you can wise. I have the Elex and Elegia and love them both. The Clears were a goal for about a year. That was until I got an Edition XS. There’s something about that sound that just works for me. Been thinking lately about trying out something planar in the $1k range. Definitely open box, cause that’s how I roll😎

I found the Radiance a huge upgrade from the Elegia. Much bigger than the difference between Clear and Elex.

1 Like

The HiFiman HE6se V2’s have been reaching down to $399!! But you do need a special amp for them. And it’s not just about power.

That was how I got my Radiance. Saved $300.00US with open box.

2 Likes

The Radiance looks interesting plus it’s beautiful. I’ve always loved the Focal sound, I have put several component systems in my vehicles. I have 2 sets of Flax 6.5’s in my Ram.

1 Like

Are you in Canada? There is a guy selling a set of Radiance headphones for half of what I paid for open box.

Check out CAM, if Canadian. If not, just ignore. :grin:

I’m in Vegas. Thanks for the tip anyway!

1 Like

I didn’t have the clear and 6se at the same time, can you compare them?
tempted to try them again with my new setup and if they are keepers I’d mod them with a Aria headband :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s funny you ask. I just hit day 16 with the Clear’s and am about to put the HE6se V2’s on next.
I will post my thoughts after.

4 Likes