đŸ”¶ Focal Elex

So I tried the Oratory 1990 EQ for the Elex, but found it to make them to dark. And stock they are a bit and I mean a little bit too bright for me. So I modded the Orto EQ to my liking. Think this is the perfect EQ for me.

Elex are pretty darn fantastic, i also used oratory’s eq and loved it. instantly replaced my 6xx (although i still have them, but they went into storage). I enjoyed the nice warm, dark sound and that visceral speaker like bass. would highly recommend (if you can get a good deal. full price i might say look elsewhere)

I have say after dealing with Drop’s awful customer service, that you should not buy the Elex right now. If Drop would fix their customer service, then sure but I think the Elex is a gamble to buy right now. I was only able to get Drop to fix my issues by shaming them on Reddit. And even then Headphones.com actually resolved my issue in the end.

2 Likes

I love the Elex
 though I only learned recently about the possible issues due to the very thin voice coil. Bought mine second hand too, so would be unlikely to get help from Drop (or Focal) no matter what

So now I’d agree with your steering people away, even though I have not had any issues with my set (yet?) and I love the headphones. Paranoia is ruining them for me
!

Mine didn’t fail until owning them for 11 months. The situation was so bad though that I will probably never buy anything from Drop again, if possible.

@wagstaff Don’t let that get to you. I feel the same way sometimes about my Sundaras
just decided to enjoy and put some $ aside just in case! Then there’s always Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic! :wink:

1 Like

Indeed , I have other headphones
 it’s just that even used, the Elex did hurt my wallet . I hope it lasts because I really do love listening with it. It’s just that it used to be an easy-recommend, too.

Still, I have other headphones that I like maybe just as much, at least in different moods. I appreciate your calming words!

1 Like

So, with the Elex on sale for $550, I’m debated purchasing to compare to my Elear. I feel like the Elear has just a touch too much bass bloat. It sounds like the Elex would correct that? Thoughts?

I love my Elex’s and was happy with the $600.00 price. Seems like a no-brainer at $550.00.

Great match with my Liquid Platinum! :+1:

1 Like

The price is great but you might want to read the comments and reviews for the Elex on Drop’s site. Many people, including myself, have issues with the Right driver dying in a year or two after purchase. It’s not mentioned enough but Drop’s customer support can either be fine or hell to deal with.

Still less and smaller issues than with any Hifiman headphones. lol

I don’t think so anymore. I have had both an Arya and Ananda for almost a year with no issues. I also know if I had any issues headphones.com would fix them for sure, unlike Drop which feels like a dice roll. I don’t think Headphones.com would ship me a used broken pair of headphones to replace the ones that had failed, then ignore my emails about it, and then they tried to cover that up. I had to publicly shame Drop on Reddit to get them to fix this issue.

1 Like

I have found them great, but it is only for one year. I think that if something happens after that it may just push me into a Clear.

1 Like

This is exactly what i planned if the worst would happen.

1 Like

The Elex are great but Drop is a terrible company. I don’t plan to ever buy anything expensive from them again.

Interesting I’ve never had an issue with a return to Drop, pretty much it’s send an email wait a few days for a response, decide what you want to do and send the stuff back.
You have to accept they can’t always replace something because they don’t always hold stock, but if they can’t they usually refund.
What issues have you had?

1 Like

This is what happened.

1 Like

They recently gave me refund at or past the one year mark. I find them great to deal with. They even cover the shipping back from Canada.

I remember a guy talking about HiFiman and the fact that he had problems like three different times. That is rough and I see his point but I love my Sundara’s.

I have had several problems with Burson Audio and would not buy from them again. But that is just my experience.

I have had great experiences with Drop, but his weren’t. I think that if all of us keep buying gear we will all have horror stories at some point. :grin:

1 Like

I haven’t had problems with them either
 Got a refund on messed up DAP, easy. Had to wait forever for my Elex pads to be paired up, but not so long that The originals were worn out; and essentially I got a free pair. Cancelled a 789 amp with no problem after they delayed long enough to make the monolith 887 a better transaction.

Those are the “less than smooth” stories. Have bought some other audio things and a ton of EDC things over the years, always went well.

I am concerned about the secondary market on Drop things. Crossed fingers on the durability of my second-hand Elex still (which I love).

The first 50% of story i would say being in the area of slow service (returns)?
I also have send emails to Drop and they responded every time in 1day (customer service).

Postal service address thing is more a internal issue in my mind? Since every package here, you have option to change the address before the delivery by the “postal service or ups, dhl etc any courier service” or they have these “Drop off points” where you can get it.
Less than a week is in realm of normal, any faster is good.
Concerning delivers from China might take only 3 days

Headphones .com don’t seem to send international? So that sucks, right out.

Still Elex is great headphone like you mentioned.
Talking about Drop’s service should be in different topic.
Hope we can now get back to the Great Headphone.