For bookshelf speakers, what are the pros / cons of two way vs three way?

download

Good speakers :+1: Very musical - not sure how they’ll do for HT though.

1 Like

Is a 2-way bookshelf and sub 3-way or do all 3 drivers have to be in 1 cabinet (im an idiot) ? The home theater crowd say if its good for music its good for movies.

Reinstalled MTMs on wall mounts in the home theater for L/R ch. Since i have free real estate on the sides of the screen thinking of another set of front speakers for a 2.1 system. Could i run a DAC through the CD imput of the AVR and out from zone2 into an external amp?

So DAC>AVR>AMP>SUB>L/R ?

The “way” is simply how many drivers the frequency response is split between. A two way and a sub = 3 total drivers so technichally it’s a 3 way. But you can call it 2.1, stereo + sub, etc. It may not be a 3 way speaker but it is a 3 way system. So…semantics…

:+1:

Just don’t run them all together (as front L+R). Either the one set or the other.

Yup.

1 Like

Awesome.
Dont know many brands which have a true d’appolito configuration that are not center ch.
download (2)

so…what are good two way / three way bookshelf options at…

• $500 and under
  • $500 - $1000
  • $1000 - $2000

please feel free to list several and their strengths / weaknesses and why you suggest them. :slight_smile:

I don’t feel like I’ve heard a wide enough selection to be comfortable recommending something in particular. Check out Zero Fidelity on YouTube. By far the best speaker/amp reviewer out there. Doesn’t gush over anything, no affiliate links, has tons of experience, helped develop a few speakers (the Buchardt 400 I think?), gives comparisons, etc.

1 Like

indeed zero fidelity, he has a good way to describe what they are like and maybe more important, what they are not. erins audio corner is also good to look at measurements and i like gr research to check out the quality of the crossover design.

Personally I’m thinking of the elac ubr62 as my next speaker purchase. its the last andrew jones speaker for elac, his crown jewel for elac. Its getting good reviews and the measurements, especially its consistent spread. its around 1k, I expect it to perform on par with some overpriced british brands in the 3k range.

on the 2-way, 3-way, there’s only 1 way and that’s a 2-way :smile: I think if you want to go 3-way you need to spend some money if you want it done right. That being said, the designs are getting better and better, i’m sure there are unicorns out there.

edit: ubr62, not dbr62

Considering a pair of Evo 4.2 for a desktop setup. They’re like 550-600$ over here and have been getting some very positive reviews.

Anyone here with a pair? Any impressions to share?

I had a pair of EVO 4.2 in my listening room until recently. I wasn’t crazy about them. Something about their voicing made them sound like the cabinets were made of cardboard. Given how big and heavy the cabinets really are and how much that 3-way setup should make them sound great, they just never did it for me. Dirac Live correction helped but it wasn’t enough to make me like them.

I replaced them with a pair of Adam A7X and I like them much, much better. I spend most of my day listening to a pair of A5X on my desk. Before the A5X, I had a pair of T5V. Given that, I’m probably just accustomed to Adam’s signature. The clarity, detail and openness of the Adams just made the EVO sound woolly and fuzzy to me. YMMV, of course, but you did ask for impressions. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess I will have to schedule a demo in the store with them eventually. Reviewers are very happy with these, but when I see user feedback, people seem to not keep them for long.

Thanks!

1 Like