šŸ”¶ Fostex T50rp

Mine are Dekoni Blue but I put Shure 1540 pads on them. I think once you do that they are very similar to stock T50 with same pads. I also have 4xx. I like them both. The 4xx have a much bigger planar driver and thus have more of that planar sound. T50 have a small planar drive so it has more of a point source type of sound in comparison. 4xx have a more forward midrange. T50 has lots of bass and dynamics. 4xx has more air. 4xx can be run balanced from stock configuration. Both have high power requirements, but the T50 much more so. T50 may have a bit better imaging, 4xx may sound slightly wider. Those things are close, though. I think that covers the basics.

2 Likes

I swapped the pads from L to R and vice versaā€¦didnā€™t help :frowning:. I think I will contact Dekoni and see what they say. Thanks for your idea, though.

1 Like

Just to add some more explanationā€¦

Itā€™s the bass that feels pulled left. Most vocals and cymbal crashes sound like they are appropriately placed, but the two drivers are definitely not in agreement in the bass range. Itā€™s very odd.

Anyway, I emailed Dekoni yesterday and have gotten no response yet. Iā€™ll let all you know what they say when/if they respond.

Dekoni replied this evening. They asked for a copy of the receipt and said they would initiate warranty procedures. Weā€™ll see how long this takes.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about all this and hoping you get everything worked out.

My Dekoni Blues just got here today - I also added a Mr. Speakers / Dan Audio leather strap to go on top.
I have 9 pairs of headphones and these are unequivocally the most comfortable things I have ever put on my head. Iā€™m truly baffled reading some people say that these are uncomfortable - the ā€œstockā€ Dekoni pads that came on them are divine.

Great sound, very bassy. Need to break them in more and also get more accustomed to listening to them. Iā€™m coming from a 6XX and after listening for about 2 hours I can feel some fatigue setting in - Iā€™m not used to this much bass nor this V-shaped sound signature!

And as nearly everyone says, yeah this cable is super janky lol.

Agreed the Dekoni pads are super comfy. Over time I found the treble on both Dekoni pads to be a bit lacking. On the angled pads they sounded thin and harsh - to my ear almost like a highly compressed mp3 treble sound, but all the time. The velour pads helped that but didnā€™t eliminate it, but also sacrificed a little too much bass. The Shure 1540 pads that @ZeosPantera mentions in his T50RPMK3 review really cleaned up the treble and still gave that fun, thunderous bass, IMO. I wish I still had them on hand to try on my Asgard 3. Iā€™m guessing that would sound pretty darn good.

Yes, the stock wire is janky as hell. I found this wire:

and have like it on the Blue quite a bit. Itā€™s not the thickest wire ever, but it fits nicely and lays on the desk nicely.

1 Like

Iiiiiiiiiinteresting - I may have to look into the 1540 pads because I know what you mean in regards to the treble. I may have to invest in a pair. And thanks for the link!

Okay, I canā€™t get over this treble harshness + fatigue. I played them loudly all night and Iā€™ve been listening for about an hour this morning, doing A/B testing with some other headphones, and the harshness is killing me.

Which sucks because these are the most comfortable headphones Iā€™ve put on.

Were the Shure pads alone enough to reduce treble fatigue for you? Because at this point Iā€™m almost willing to just send them off to Modhouse and turn them into Argons.

The Shure pads improved the quality of the treble, but not necessarily the quantity. The treble sounds much more sweet and natural with the Shures. The Blues have a bit of a V signature, or more of a backward radical sign with heavy bass and a lesser treble bump.

Your fatigue may also just be your ears adjusting to new cans. Also, just about all headphones get fatiguing if you listen to them loud for a long time.

1 Like

I had a pair of Brainwavz oval pads laying around and put them on the Blues (tight fit!) and have been listening for another hour, low volume - I think it sounds better. Yeah, Iā€™m not sure how much of this is me getting used to the sound, but Iā€™m going to keep listening to them. I think theyā€™re the perfect counter to my 6XXā€™s.

I shipped my Blues back to Dekoni last week. Today their engineer contacted me and confirmed what I was hearing. There was a 2-5db SPL difference between left and right in the 50-400Hz region and another similar difference in the 3-7KHz range. Dekoni has confirmed that they are sending me a new pair.

7 Likes

Glad it wasnā€™t your ears. :stuck_out_tongue: :+1:

3 Likes

Lol. That makes two of us!

1 Like

They are back! The replacements appear to be working just fine. If anyone else has this issue I was only out the cost of shipping to Dekoni (which was 15.75 USD).

The only thing wrong with the Dekoni Blues now is the Edition XX showed up in their absence. They canā€™t compete, and Iā€™m struggling to hard to find a job they fill among my collection now. I will think on thisā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™m considering buying a set of these with the Shure HPAEC1840 pads. At the moment I am using the MH752 but Iā€™d like a bit of an upgrade, can anyone tell me how much of an upgrade this would be?
Would you say these are more isolating than Koss PortaPros (I know the t50rp are semi open so not very isolating)? If not I might look at the T40rp with the same pads.

T50RPs with these pads are V-shaped and very isolating. Semi-open only because a little 1cm x 1cm grill.

I donā€™t have MH752s but my guess is, compared to dynamic drivers (like my HD280 Pros), T50RPs sound way clearer, way bassier and way faster (fast drivers: precise, analytical, mechanical even).

Warning: They need one watt of power.

Do you think my E10k would do the job? Iā€™m really at a loss for what headphones to pick for $200 or less and the used market over here is pretty much non-existant. Also there are close to no shops where I can try headphones so Iā€™m pretty much bound to buy blindly.

Go with ZMFā€™s I had the proteins on my t60, and now the suedes, sooo nice.

Fiio E10K is apparently 200mw at 32ohmsā€¦ nope. :confused: I would not risk it.

Still for 100$ you can get one watt or more power, from a JDS Labs Atom amp (not recommended: too much treble for T50RPs), or Schiit Heresy, or Liquid Spark (Laid-back treble apparently, so, great pairing), etc.

Edit: Also Fiio K5 Pro for 150$ for a dac AND amp. Topping L30 for 130$, with a pre-out switch for speakers.

Hmm, not sure I can set aside that much at the moment, especially since all the $99 amps are not available where I live (at least not for $99).
I guess itā€™s back to the drawing board :frowning:.