🔷 Fostex TH610

I am sure the TH900 is awesome, but just WAY too much for me. I am going to see if the driver tune-up is enough for now.

I would have to buy the 900’s used and I never see them used.

They tend to not pop up in Canada often for some reason, not sure why lol

Cause they’re so damn expensive! :grin:

Just did a quick search: Cheapest set I could find is $1,699.00, plus 15% tax. Yikes!

Still waiting on my tune-up. Pulled these out today to test them with my Liquid Platinum. Even via the SE they sound pretty good. I A-B’d with the SP200 and the LP sounded marginally better on the LP. It was good enough that I started hunting for balanced cables. No cheapies on Amazon.ca. I like my New Fantasia cheapies, but no luck. I decided to drop by Periapt and the price is not horrible at $99.00 and flat rate to Canada is $11.00. $110.00 sounded great to me and then I started doing the conversion. $160.00 and I will probably get dinged for 15% sales tax…Screw it, I hit the buy button anyway.

Between the tune-up and the cable, I guess I am commited to the 610’s now. :grin:

I am into them for $700.00 now and I am still curious about new cups. :open_mouth:

3 Likes

@MON, how can you possibly like my post one second after me hitting post?

You can’t possibly read that fast? :laughing:

1 Like

It’s called skimming lol, also I do consider myself a fast reader at some times

1 Like

Also fostex and their damn forcefully propitiatory fuck you almost sennheiser connector lol, same connector, reversed polarity, would be much cheaper if they didn’t overcharge for it

2 Likes

Cheapest balanced cable I could find for the Fostex were $80-$90 average and that’s on the lower end. Could always try making your own cable during the pandemic for cheaper lol.

As I said above I already ordered it.

My mistake, kinda skimmed through it and didn’t see the part about the buy button. Congrats!

1 Like

I have try to made myself a cable.
But i have buy the wrong cable.
I have buy first the Viablue epc 4 who have 4 cabels inside.
Later i see 2 cabel inside are better,because have the better isolation from the cable.
So i must only buy next one the Viablue epc 2 cable.
Is a very good cable for a good price.I can recommand it.No Static,no Smartphone tones when someone call you,and Silver inside.
The connectors i have buy it on Alliexpress for 2-3$.
I have testet it and works good.

I find the stupid thing on the Fostex Headphones with the connectors who have made it.
Why not a 2.5 connector?
I am very think about i do it or not.

The first cable who i have buy is on periaptcables.com
But it goes 6 weeks of waiting to Germany.2 Week for the made and 4 weeks for shippingtime.
Quality is okay.
It was one two optical things who was not good,but okay.

1 Like

I went with a 4XLR pure copper custom cable w/ Eidolic splitter/connector from ImpactAudioCables

1 Like

I think they’re wrong in that review. They probably used an amp with a high output impedance. Same deal with Zeos’ review of the Focal Clear…

2 Likes

I got my tuneup kit today. I will spend the weekend listening to the 610’s and commence surgery on Monday. :grinning:

4 Likes

MAN, do these sound great on my LP! I will still do the surgery on Monday and maybe it will sharpen the sound up a bit.

And this is via SE!

All the other amps, except for the tube amp, seem like a waste of money now. :grin:

2 Likes

Here’s the link to my Lawton modded TH-610.

5 Likes

I’m shocked! The 610 has much better padding on the backside of the driver than the TR-X00. The TR-X00 has none. You probably didn’t need the tune up kit at all starting with the 610.

Only 3 pieces per side. Not a big deal.

The TH-X00 has zero padding on the backside of the driver and no gauze in the cup…

Even after the Lawton mod, the backside of the driver isn’t nearly as covered as the 610…

696cd42ef59dfd560a845b305dc9f85ee638dd2b_2_500x500

I’m really interested in getting a 610 now.

You said you’re not completely sold on the ZMF pads. Personally, I go back and forth between the Accessory House replacement pads and the ZMF. The Accessory House replacement pad is awesome and is a better fit for my ears than the stock pads and keeps everything sounding very close to stock.

I am also in the camp of not caring about the Dekoni attenuation rings. I got them out last week and have been listening to music with them and I do not hear a difference. Although many have stated here that they make a huge difference.

It’s finally great to hear your opinions. Can’t wait to hear more once you’ve had more time with your new cans. They are beautiful! Again, congratulations.

3 Likes

Thanks.

Yeah, the 610’s do a pretty go job with handling resonances in stock form.

I love the feel and build quality of ZMF’s pads. They’re top notch quality. I don’t think the Ori is the best pad for a fully modded 610 (though is stock form, the Ori with the Dekoni rings were fantastic). I think it will sound better with a flatter, wider opening pad such as the Auteur, or Universe. If you go by ZMF’s guide regarding sound characteristics, I think maybe trying a suede/suede combination pad may work as well.

https://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmfpads