🔷 Fostex TH610

Hi,
I saw in the photo that the Th 610 behind the driver is this insulation.
It caught my eye because I already opened the Th x00 and Denon D2000 where it definitely wasn’t used.
You can try to take them off and compare what you like better.
Sure he will insulate better than without.
However, it is perhaps precisely for this reason that it is the most critical of our series.
There are people who have switched to Tr x and said that they are much better.
I thought about it once and would say that the impact where it hits the wood arrives much more gently than without this insulation.
Which would certainly have an effect on the wood, but would then depend on the type of wood, where more or less vibrates.
I did not the Th 610 but the Tr x00 Mahogany and a converted D2000 with E-Mu cup and both share the Lawton Mod.
Lawton also states that you should test the insulation for the cups that are included.
And with the mahogany cups it made sense, with the E-Mu cups, on the other hand, it was not even necessary without insulation in the cups, which is what I mean with the wood and the type of wood. With the mod, the mahogany still sounds sharp to me where the converted Denon doesn’t do that, that’s my theory.

I think the purpose of the insulation behind the drivers is for reducing reflections/resonances and tuning. My understanding is that the less reflections, the more neutral the sound.

The type of wood used for the cups also affects the sound. A harder wood will result in better transients, and affect speed and decay. The volume inside of the cup will also impact the sound, especially bass (think of a subwoofer enclosure).

The stock cups of the 610’s are Walnut which is a relatively soft wood. I chose East Indian Rosewood for my Lawton Chambers which has more than double the hardness of Walnut (2440 vs. 1010 on the Janka scale), and is a traditional “tone wood” used in the manufacture of acoustic instruments. The Lawton cups come with the anti-resonance attached so there’s little to experiment with.

Here’s a list of Janka Hardness:

https://www.bellforestproducts.com/info/janka-hardness/

Maybe try the lawton pads. They are a thinner pad (than Ori pads at least) and have a generally large round opening. May as well go full lawton since you seem to like how the mod has gone so far.

1 Like

The Lawton pads tighten the bass a lot, but it does also increase the treble. When I did the Lawton mod on my Th-x00 I preferred the Ori Leather Pads. The Lawton mod on my old TH610, the Leather Eikon pads. Unfortunately, the suede pads created sibilant treble, which was very unfortunate.

1 Like

I had tried the dekoni choice suede beyer pads before and it boosted the treble for me as well. I would like to try something like the Ori or eikon pads, but cows hide. Too bad those aren’t a thing.

2 Likes

The sheepskin eikon pads definitely help with the treble.

2 Likes

I think the Lawton Chambers were a significant enough of a change that it calls for much more open pads than the stock 610. It’s more in line with the TH900 with less ‘energy’, if that makes sense.

I’m pretty sure a more open pad will improve the sound. If I go by ZMF’s chart, the suede will reduce the treble, which is counter to what most people have experienced here.

Here’s the ZMF pad chart I linked earlier:

https://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmfpads

Did my tune-up. Don’t notice a huge change. The bass seems a bit cleaner. Noisy music still sounds noisy. :grinning:

I will have to try a wide selection, starting tomorrow.

On the up side, I didn’t screw anything up! :laughing:

4 Likes

Nice work.

Yeah, I found that it “tightened” things up a bit. It definitely didn’t clean up/fix some of the music I listen to. :grin:

It is never going to compete with the Elex’s, or even the Sundara’s. I will do a couple of hours of rock, jazz and blues tomorrow. And then I will switch over to the Sundara’s to compare.

Closed backs REALLY have to excel to be great. Just by virtue of being a closed back, they are handicapped to start.

My big fear is doing a cup change (MINIMUM $500.00 in Canuck bucks, landed) and then going “Meh, I guess it’s better”. :laughing:

2 Likes

I didn’t really have anything against the sound of these when I had them, Maybe slightly over priced for what they sound like. My issues were more comfort related. They sat so loose on my head that if I leaned forward or back I was afraid I’d lose them. And I have yet to own a Fostex that I find the earpads to be comfortable for long term listening on yet. That includes the TH900. And I don’t spend what these cost expecting to fix things myself. I do still think they’re attractive looking cans. Probably should be closer to the $350-400 mark.

Cons) They lack the clarity of the Elex or even the Sundara’s. On the flip side they are NOT bass canons.

Pros) Nice sound, nice looking and pretty good isolation.

Pretty good on the SE output of Liquid Platinum and I am really looking forward to using the balanced output.

Fostex TH610 Lawton Mod.

10 Likes

It looks very sweet your cups.
What for Stage you have choise on the Towel from Lawton?
How good is the Sound?

Thank you.

I’m sorry, but I’m not understanding this.

I went with Marbled East Indian Rosewood for the Lawton cups.

They sound fantastic. The cups really allow the Foster drivers to shine. They act like well designed speaker/subwoofer enclosures. The bass is tight, and well controlled. I actually ordered more pads because the Ori’s that worked on the stock TH610 don’t work with the fully modded Lawton (the Ori’s are to deep, and too narrow).

The increase in sound quality is pretty amazing. Everything is just better, be it bass, midrange, or treble. The detail retrieval is spectacular.

The Lawton cups are expensive, but totally worth the investment imo.

Also, the 610 Walnut cups are much softer than the EI Rosewood I chose (1010 vs. 2440 Janka Hardness), which I feel greatly affects the sound (transients, bass, and timbre).

1 Like

My question was what Stage you choise from this Link here
https://www.lawtonaudio.com/tonewheel.html

Nice to hear you like it.:+1::v:

2 Likes

Oh, okay. It’s a Type 4 wood.

Rosewood is the traditional wood used in the manufacture of guitars (classical TĂĄrrega style).

I owned one that had a similar grain and had a beautiful sound.

2 Likes

sounds pretty good.
Rosewood is something special.
You can’t compare it to the rosewood from E-Mu, I assume except for one measurement, which would be really interesting to know how close or apart it would be.
If things go better for me, I also intend to treat myself to Lawton’s.

1 Like

Finally got my Periapt balanced cable in, SIX weeks later. After I did the tune-up and some testing I just put these away.

I plugged these into my LP via balanced out and wow! I can barely get the volume knob to 9:00. It sounds cleaner somehow.

I then pull put the SE cable and plug it into the Violectric V220. I went back and forth (Albeit slowly. Those connectors are a bitch!), looking for the “best” sound. They both sound really good to me!
I have been going alphabetically on the LP for hours (Incubus, Inxs, etc.) and they sound Great.

I am still using the stock pads and stock cups, but I think that maybe these are the closed backs I have been looking for. I am Really liking these right now.

Lots of good, sharp bass on both amps. Not basshead level, but great for what I was looking for. I might spring for some cups or pads down the road. I will be keeping these.

3 Likes

From what I’ve been told, the TH610 are the most neutral of the Foster driver headphones. That’s what I used for my Lawton mod and I really love them.

2 Likes