Found a Audio Optimized USB cable

Found a Audio Optimized USB cable for my SU8 DAC:

Company sells other usb audio cables https://www.amazon.com/stores/node/18229433011?encoding=UTF8&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=DJ%20TechTools&ref=bl_dp_s_web_18229433011

But how is it audio optimized

2 Likes

What’s supposed to make this snake oil “audio optimized”?

1 Like

I don’t think it’s snake oil, but more just a light marketing tactic

1 Like

Has a 56K Resistor in it to prevent your devices from overdrawing power

Dual slimline ferrites and braided shielding to prevent signal dropouts during live performances

USB audio is an error tolerant protocol, every packet has a checksum.
Either you get the bits or you don’t.

3 Likes

I see that’s what it says on the product page, but the resistor doesn’t affect the audio aspect and is mainly there just to prevent damage. Most usb cables with a resistor would do this just as well.

The shielding would be nice and all, but if you aren’t having issues with your current cable, I don’t really see the need to get a new one. It does seem like a nice cable but it might be an unnecessary purchase if the one you have works fine

1 Like

The main thing I would want for audio would be a cable with built in isolator to prevent ground loops tbh

2 Likes

Yes there is value in that, especially with battery operated devices, or ungrounded devices in the loop.

1 Like

the one that comes with the SU8 is ugly grey and short. Also i got a open USB C port on my comp not being used. this cable is longer, distinctive and will connect to USB-C.

I just dont like buying cables for my audio that are supposed to connect printers. it bugs me. i want something more for audio, and if its a good cheap price, i’ll buy it.

Yeah, than go for it, should get the job done :+1:

1 Like

wait a minute, where can you buy cables with Isolaters?

Inline I don’t know, but I like these from iFi, they do the job very well

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-iDefender3-0-Ground-Loop-Eliminator/dp/B01N3XKOLG/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=usb+isolator+cable&qid=1575429967&sr=8-13

There is also the iSilencer if you have those issues

https://www.amazon.com/iSilencer3-0-USB-Audio-Noise-Eliminator/dp/B01MXDZ0PO/ref=pd_bxgy_23_3/140-1771969-9742000?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01MXDZ0PO&pd_rd_r=77be0f58-68ea-4d67-a4bf-e1b540bbbded&pd_rd_w=RjbCT&pd_rd_wg=daCYk&pf_rd_p=09627863-9889-4290-b90a-5e9f86682449&pf_rd_r=ECZP0R6FR7VBMA726P42&psc=1&refRID=ECZP0R6FR7VBMA726P42

1 Like

It’s not worth it unless you have ground issues.
Basically they use optical couplers to isolate the power from each device.
Neither side sees power form the other, so you don’t end up with ground issues.
The easiest way to avoid ground issues, assuming your house has decent power is just to use grounded devices and plug everything into the same outlet.

2 Likes

Just like any other digital protocol, USB either works or does not work.
Overspending on a cable because “it says audio” is like buying a chair because “it says gaming”: Pointless

1 Like

but the resistor though

and its blue, i wont get it confused with other “computer” cables.

1 Like

The Resistor puts it outside of USB spec.

1 Like

And the dual slimline ferrites and braided shielding to prevent signal dropouts.

what do you mean? is that a good thing?