Geek Wold GK10.....1 BA 2Piezoelectric and 2DD

So again I’m hoping to get mine in tomorrow (yay new EU laws). I was wondering, what should I hear if the bass is bloated? I don’t think I have (had) any IEM/headphone with bloated bass, so I’m not sure what I would need to look for. Would it be very warm? Because it also has a lot of treble so I actually expect it to be reasonably bright.
I currently own:
Bl-03 (mesh mod), FH3, Tin T2, Final E1000C, FiiO FA1, Sony xb50ap (somewhere in a drawer).

Edit: I guess FR of the E1000C has more mid-bass than sub-bass and a cup in the mids, so I should probably look at those. Don’t particularly like comparing stuff to the E1000 because they sound so odd and I always need to get used to them.

1 Like

You can try to use EQ to lower the 150-250hz area, that is the bloat area. See if you notice any improvements in clarity.

1 Like

Hmm maybe their QC is bad because they just don’t sound good at all… Heck they actually sound worse than my $16 Senfer DT6. I don’t get the hype at all :thinking:

2 Likes

HYPE TRAIN LET’S GOOOOO!!!

2 Likes

In what way are they bad?

So while I am waiting for the GS Audio stuff to make its way over seas the GK10 made its way in first,
Packaging is very simple

Has a cord a cloth bag and a few more tips
For me I can say I can safely say the QC on my set is not the greatest The stock cord will not even go all of the way into the socket

I did grab a Fearless cord off of my desk and it did fit without any issues

I ended up trying the stock cord on another IEM I do not care about and yeah it is the cord.
I ended up with a NiceHCK spare cord on it for the time being. I might reach out for a replacement or just move on.

But I do have some impressions of it for those that are interested

Sound wise first impression
They sound fine no real faults on anything noticeable

I had to use a Ifi iematch to run it off my desktop amp to get rid of the background noise(Schiit Asgard 3, Jotunheim 2, Ifi Zen Can). I have not tried it on my Dap yet(Cayin N3 pro)

Sound stage is decently large for an IEM that I have tried so far
I do hear some light BA Texture/timbre that might be a turnoff for some

There might be some bass bloat or more subbass then I am used to in this tuning
A small dB decrease around 150hz of 2dB made it more balanced for me.

It does have an airy sound presentation to it.

I can see why there is hype around it, sub $100 I could see it being what people prefer, I do not currently see it as a giant killer thou. I currently feel that LZ A7 is currently better then this, more time will tell. I do like this more then other budget ones I have tried like the KZ ZS7 or Faaeal Hibiscus.

I did order an IEC711 so once it comes in hopefully in a week with the GS stuff I can toss up a poorly made graph for comparison sake with the others that are out there

If anything gives me a better idea of what I should be looking for in terms of IEM. At least I have not hated listening to it for a few hours so it is decent enough not to take it off immediately for something else

5 Likes

Wood looks great, cable is rather meh but I don’t have any other 2-pin cables so it’ll have to do. Fit is great, currently have the Spiral Dots on them, they seal well and I don’t notice any driver flex or suction.
Not going into great detail about the sound because I have not listened much and haven’t compared to anything at all. OOTB they sound good, not yet blown away and I do think I hear some elevated mid-bass, though I would expect more if I were to go by the FR graph. Snares hit good, bass rumble is present but less than the for instance the FH3. I have heard some things that sounded quite repressed and a bit unnatural, but I haven’t compared them so take it with a grain of salt. Detail retrieval seems to be good.
I will run them off my phone the whole day and night and pop them in my ears every now and then, but won’t start comparing until tomorrow.
So far: by the hype I would expect more, by the FR graph posted I expected way less.

3 Likes

Waiting on your impressions :slight_smile:

So far bass bloat reports seem to be way less than non bloat. If I had to put money, I’d put it on QC issues…

That cable looks shitty as hell :joy:

I mean, it’s not Tin Hifi T2 bad, but yeah it’s not great lol.
Where does snare impact fall? Are they in the mids and is the term to describe them “attack”? I’ve noticed the impact of the snares a number of times now, I like it.

1 Like

It’s a cheap Iem with questionable attention to detail in build. I am sure some of these sound better because there seems little uniformity. At its price it is affordable so it sells. I have been an audiophile when reel to reeel and tat were the norm for hi fidelity. I have seen this many many times. Have fun that is what the hobby is about. That and the music

‘Unnatural’ timbre , siblance and bloated bass ( I think its QC issues tbh because other people praise the timbre… so yea)

Not really listened enough to talk about the timbre (hasn’t stood out to me as particularly good or bad so far), but I hear no sibilance and the bass is a bit much maybe, but mine are not bloated. Like @gallappago I found that they could do with a 1-2db drop around 125MHz, but I quite enjoy them tbh.

1 Like

Ill get mine prolly in a week. Just hoping for no qc issues :rofl:

Maybe they’ll turn out to be the new Legacy 3, where everyone who gets a good pair loves them but there are a lot of worse sets which are just not good… I guess for now they are mostly a set for people who are curious and can live with the uncertainty until a lot of people have bought them and we know whether there are QC issues (and which).
I will be comparing them to the Bl-03 and FH3. BL-03 because they are both sub $50 and I love the modded bl-03, and FH3 since they are both hybrids (and I love the FH3). I was going to include the T2 because it used to be the go-to for sub $50, but I don’t think that it would be an interesting comparison.

1 Like

I say a big factor for this is depending on what source and cable you use. Because at the very low resistance it has (8ohm), the slightest change in resistance might have FR changes.

IMO, you are probably right about it having unnatural timbre. I havent heard a single set with piezo drivers that have a fully natural timbre. (most people doesnt seem to be able to tell timbre anyway or just mix it up with tonality.)

4 Likes

Do piezzo drivers change with cables? You’ve said BA’s can benefit from different cables while DD’s usually don’t.

I havent noticed it on my piezo iems. But with an iem as low resistance as 8ohm, the BA in it at the very least should have some big differences.

3 Likes

4 Likes

There’s loads of good reports too… Still beting in QC or difference in ears…

and also FR changes due to resistance