Geek Wold GK10.....1 BA 2Piezoelectric and 2DD

This will be the cable believers wet dream. In before 500 usd cables on a 45usd pair

Would be ironic if it is tuned to be used on a high-impedance cable and switching to a higher quality cable with lower-resistance will make it worse lol.

I certainly experienced that with the tansio tsmr 4 pro, where it sounds better with a higher impedance cable.

2 Likes

I feel like the hype train and the reaction to that hype train are killing the set. It seems like you either love the set or hate it and itā€™s not allowed to just think itā€™s alright. Itā€™s not a shit set, Iā€™m pretty sure of that. I also think it doesnā€™t deserve the hype it got and I quite dislike phrases as ā€œthis $50 set competes with $200 setsā€ because I am quite susceptible to them, and because they are in the end meaningless since there are plenty $200 sets that either are shite or just not my thing (FD5, L4 being the latter for me).
I hope the hype/hate dies down and people will give normal reviews because I do think it sounds pretty good and I think itā€™s an interesting set at itā€™s price point with the driver config. I will be keeping mine regardless, I quite like the sound and the fit and weight is amazing for me.

5 Likes

Just posted my review on head-fi.

tl;dr: I like the set but I think itā€™s quite over-hyped. I compared them to the mesh modded bl-03, I prefer the bl-03ā€™s tuning but the GK10 wins in terms of technicalities. I also compared them to the FH3 which was a bit more difficult. They both do details very well, I prefer the tuning of the FH3 over that of the GK10 for a lot of songs but not all and I think the GK10 is a bit more coherent than the FH3. Non-sound wise: they are very light and comfortable and I think they look pretty OK. Wood looks good, glossy plastic is not really my thing.

In the end these will end up in my active-duty IEM box, throwing out the Final E1000C.
Itā€™s my first ā€œpropperā€ review so please be kind.

5 Likes

Great to read, thanks for the review!

Ordered mine already, lets see how long does it take to get through HK mail service + customs :joy:

1 Like

One question tho, did you heard any differences with different sources and different cables like some people say they did? For the sake of myth busting

I donā€™t have any other cables with a 2-pin connection so I havenā€™t tested that.

Sssssht

Iā€™ve never heard a difference before so for me it will be a myth and Iā€™m not going to order a cable in the off-chance that Iā€™ll hear a difference. I hide this to prevent another intra-forum war.

I do hear difference in source as in it sounds a bit different from my phone than from the BTR5, but I have that with all earphones, not just these so I think that is more to do with the DAC of my phone than the IEM. Didnā€™t hear a difference between the BTR5 and the Liquid Spark + IFI IEMatch.

2 Likes

How much better is the tech on the GK10? A little bit? Or a lot?

Its probably more about the low-impedance on the GK10, which should make it much more affectable by resistance changes (changing the FR).

Well the imaging and stage is better/bigger than on the bl-03 and on some songs like Yours is no disgrace I kinda feel like I miss out on stuff if I listen to it on the bl-03 after listening to it on the FH3 and GK10. I mean itā€™s not really a fair comparison I guess, itā€™s five drivers against a single one.
To my untrained ears the GK10 is a bit like a differently tuned FH3 but slightly more coherent I feel. In the FH3 I sometimes feel like thereā€™s a bit of chaos and I havenā€™t had that with the GK10 yet. I donā€™t think the timbre/tonality is very natural, but Iā€™m not confident with those terms enough to actually use them so Iā€™ll just say that the bl-03 sounds more natural and Iā€™ll let the reader make of that what they want lol.

2 Likes

Im on the other side of the spectrum, i only own a couple o mmcx cables. But they are good so ill test it, just to see whatever happens :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yeah, the 03 is the timbre benchmark so not strange for it to sound more natural. :+1:

3 Likes

@Rikudou_Goku did you order them?

Gk10? HiFiGo is supposed to send me one.

Great. Wanna see your take on it, specially since its piezzos :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, I have a few piezo iems so I should know what to expect.

1 Like

btw @Martward do you notice any sub-bass roll-off like the graph implies?

Since this guy think there is almost zero sub-bass lol.

I wouldnt give that guy much credit. All he all day is to troll sub-50$ threads. Cant stand that guy

Yeah, I have noticed. But the graph does show a rolled off sub bass soā€¦

1 Like

It doesnā€™t have much sub-bass, less than the bl-03 and the FH3. I would not go as far as saying it has 0 sub-bass. I think my list in sub-bass goes:
T2 - E1000C - GK10 - BL03 - FH3

Itā€™s less than I want and itā€™s rolled off, but I wouldnā€™t say there is no sub-bass.
Also that guy says it is a terrible fit so maybe he doesnā€™t get a perfect seal? For me these are pretty much the best fitting IEMs Iā€™ve had.

3 Likes

Well Iā€™m not very good at reading graphs, but I donā€™t think that that graph represents what I hear very well. I do hear elevation in the mid/upper bass but not that much and this would seem like mids are very recessed, which I donā€™t think they are.

1 Like