đŸ”· Geshelli Labs J2

Mine is getting closer Sherri is making me a case that looks like the blue render. Working with Geshelli has been a great experience so excited to see my J2 .

2 Likes

~Purple/Yellow~đŸ« 

7 Likes

Nice matching cord!

1 Like

Anybody have any thoughts/comparisons to other DACs? Looking into replacing a Mimby v2 with one of these. Thinking AKM, but how does the ESS pro fair?

I’m actually in the process of doing a comparison write up between this, the Modi+, the Mimby 1, and the Bifrost I’ve just received.

Putting aside the Bifrost which is in a different price bracket. I think the Mimby 1 has a certain “shimmery” quality from the R2R architecture that I’ve never heard in Delta-Sigma DACs. However, it has a lack of punch and the treble and vocals feel recessed to me. The Modi+ doesn’t have those problems and sounds like what sounds like “normal” to me, like an Apple Dongle but better, everything in its right place and clear and good.

The J2 in my experience had a more punch, detail, and imaging than the Modi+ but with it came more edge and harshness. It sounds more trebly in general to my ears, and I think that contributes to the extra sense of detail. At the same time I wouldn’t describe it as sterile or dry, there’s a naturalness to it for sure.

I think the “harshness” I hear in it might not be heard as harshness by other people depending on what you’re used to or expecting. I think that it’s almost hand-in-hand with the extra sense of detail and imaging, where instruments kind of cut through the mix and are really present and clear and sharp. This could be interpreted as sounding “transparent”, and someone used to that kind of sound might listen to the Schiit stuff and think it sounds too soft (or “warmpoo” which is a term I hate). I don’t know how the Mimby 2 sounds, but compared to the Mimby 1, the J2 is really stark contrast. And the J2 is so powerful and muscular to my ears, it might be ideal for rock and metal music.

I did end up upgrading to the Bifrost which I think is on another level, just spectacular, but even that device doesn’t have the sharpness of the J2 if that’s what you’re after. You might miss the “shimmeriness” of your Mimby 2 though (maybe instead of replacing it you might what to keep both as complementary, but that might not fit your desires or use case).

Also this stuff is subjective and this is just my impressions.

2 Likes

That last message was a reply to this one but I guess I didn’t click the right button!

Appreciate the comments. I know exactly what you mean by detail harshness. Funnily enough I’m trying to decide between the J2 or Bifrost 2/64 for my 2ch rig. My speakers are pretty tame in the high end, but even then I could tell a difference between the harshness the JDS ol dac had over Mimby. So although I know I’d love to stay r2r, the difference in cost is making me look at the J2, at least for now. Which Bifrost did you upgrade to?

Whichever I buy, the Mimby will be sent to DarkVoice purgatory where I use my T1.2s for late night music sessions to fall asleep.
It helps that I can only tell DAC difference on speakers. Through headphones the difference are so minute I can’t be bothered.

1 Like

The 2/64. The Mimby 2 is supposed to be a lot better than the 1, though I haven’t heard it. The 2/64 sounds astonishing honestly.

Have you received yours, and if so what are your impressions? I’m looking to upgrade to a better DAC for my chain.

I currently run an OL DAC for a 2.1 channel system, Allo Volt Amp seems great for powering the bookshelves, however something in the chain makes treble sound metallic and plasticky. I’ve heard this described across various forums as “digititus”, which Mimby, Bifrost and other R2R DACs largely avoid in favor of a more “natural” / vinylish sound.

For the J2 I’ve heard the ESS versions described as forward and punchy, but can be harsh. Still most concede they sound more “natural” than other DACs. Any thoughts on the AKM version’s timbre vs. older Delta Sigma DACs?

I also recently had the opportunity to buy the original DS Gungir without USB for $350, I ultimately passed on investing that plus $500 for multibit upgrade + union USB + shipping. My thought was for my smaller 2.1 office system it was probably the wrong place to put money in the chain when Mimby 2 or J2 might sound pretty fair given the level of the rest of my gear.

I think the hype for the AKM version is justified 100% Regardless of cost if you didn’t know the price I think the conversations on this DAC in the “Audiophile” High end market would also be highly praised.

I feel the AKM J2 definitely adds a good measure of warmth I am not afraid to say it.

I have 9038, 9219 dacs E1DA and Shanling UP5 and Tempotec Serranade X all sound way more clinacle and sterile on the bright a

lmost harsh side for me on my more revealing gear.
The Cirrius Logic Chips are in the Middle a bit closer to the AKM.

But for me the AKM J2 sounds wonderful to me with my A90D love that pairing.

Because of the lower cost and how minimumistic the J2 is, Lots of people pass it over not realizing how well the design and integration of the AKM chip works so well together.

Not to mention the Shelly and Gino are fabulous to talk and work with on anything custom they answered every question and put up with my stupid color questions. In the end it was exactly what I wanted.

Yeah highly recommended! :heart:
Edit: I didn’t get paid for that unabashed shill and I bought the stickers!
@geshelli_labs

3 Likes

All apparent shilling aside I believe you just sold me. :joy:

Reached out to Geshelli support to see what their backorder timeframe is like on the AKM J2. Do you find yourself using USB or SPDIF? I’m considering going sans USB altogether - not a believer yet that anything past 192 / 24 would be audible to me (at least not in my mid tier rig).

On another note, have you looked into a linear PSU for the J2? I stumbled across a Youtube comment where someone recommended a Talema model from AliExpress that they claimed made positive audible differences from the stock wall wart. Now for the life of me I can’t find that comment thread, but the fellow went into a good length of detail about the benefits. Link to the model he bought (12v 25w Talema branded version):

Just as a side note, I think there may be something to the notion that the AKM chip is perhaps a bit “warmer” in nature to the ESS chip.

I have an older M200 DAC that uses a AK4497EQ chip. It’s definitely comparable in performance to the SU-8 DAC I have running in the living room that is ESS driven, utilizing the ES9038Q2M. And yes, there is more “shimmer” or trebly characteristic to the ESS-driven DAC. And that is NOT a bad thing. It’s just different. More a matter of personal preference, I suppose. I enjoy both and enjoy how each pairs with their respective environments.

I bet the AKM-driven J2 is incredible.

1 Like

Buy the usb it doesn’t degrad the sound quality but gives you the option. I use the usb out of laptop and spdif out of the iBasso

On the computer don’t forget to install the propwr driver make a massive difference

1 Like

Holy cow, Geshelli support tho! Was not expecting this level of speed, and this much info, helpfulness and clearly just enthusiasm to set me up for success.

"
We are running about forty-five days or so to process [J2 AKM backorders].

For the linear power supply, we use our own power supplies for both testing, CE certs and home/work use. We do not use them with our products and haven’t tested any, but others swear by them. Below you will find a list of one’s that are commonly used with our customers and our products. We have not tried them ourselves and this is not an endorsement, just passing along information.

This is the power supply most uses recommend - select either of the 25W models (Bingzi brand transformer is what I have, but the Talema brand transformer is slightly better) and then 12V

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256802791309432.html

If you have a second 12V device, like a headphone amp, then this is the power supply that folks like- the Chinese transformer is the one I have - select 12V - it is $88 shipped (Import transformer is $19 more):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256801433264394.html

Also this one is another high on the list from folks

https://www.amazon.com/iFi-SilentPower-iPower2-Upgrade-Electronics/dp/B08Y34B7BQ

Just make sure you use the 2.1mm x 5.5mm (center positive) barrel connector with it.

Thanks,

Sherri

Geshelli Labs
"

2 Likes

Wound up grabbing this Linear Power Supply:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802656948919.html

Looks like a legit company makes these, whereas the BRZ ones have a lot of bad reviews from US buyers about shipping with 230 VAC and thus being unusable.

Here’s a guy who reviews quite a bit of high end gear like Denafrips DACs etc talking about LHY products:

Now to figure out color scheme and get the J2 ordered!

2 Likes

What model did you order? Looks like it comes with the correct power cord to the J2

From what Sherri said any 12v power supply will work, I grabbed the 12v 120AC version with American standard cable. Supposed to show up end of February - sooner than the J2 will arrive. It’ll be a quieter power supply - may not make much difference but it’s a cheap way to give the J2 everything it needs to shine

1 Like

Oh you prolly mean the J2, I haven’t ordered yet. Going with AKM for sure, maybe blue with rose gold plexiglass

You were correct I meant the power supply, thanks for the share I think I will get one as well.

Looks like it comes with the 12v to 12v cord as well already.

As for the J2 have fun picking a color. Also remember to extra faceplates are only $3. Extra $20 gets you a swag bag T-shirt stickers LOL

1 Like