šŸ”· Geshelli Labs JNOG DAC

This is exactly what Iā€™ll do when my Geshelli stack comes in.

1 Like

Just curious, have you heard the FiiO K5 Pro? If so, how does it compare to the Archel?
I use that one for single ended headphones and to feed my speaker amp since it has an RCA output/pass-thru and if it sounds similar the Archel then I will just keep using it.

Sorry havenā€™t heard the K5

Very curious to know how the Jnog compares to the mobius considering they have similar features and price points. With the 50 dollar difference, is it a sound upgrade? My asgard 3 and mobius are still backordered so Iā€™m still considering my options.

Question, Iā€™ve seen some info Geshelly is limiting this to 200 units because of AKM Factory Fire, is that true?

Hi. It is kind of true. Late last week we were able to secure another order of AKM parts. We should have enough parts to last for awhile. Once those run out, if we cannot procure more, then yes, we will be sold out.

13 Likes

Thanks for coming in to clarify! I was curious about that also. Do you guys plan on releasing the JNOG with a different DAC chip in the near future?

2 Likes

I canā€™t imagine how frustrating it must be to start production on a new product only to find out the central component may become unobtainable. Good luck, specially if you end up having to redesign it.
I already bought the JNOG along an Archel 2 GMR to make a complete set with the Erish, I just hope that customs are kind to them.

1 Like

Got my JNOG today. Pretty excited. Thanks @geshelli_labs !

2 Likes

Thanks for the answer! Itā€™s not a good moment for me to buy it, but Iā€™m seriously thinking for beginning next year. Hope there still any left by that time!

Mine should be in today as well. Let us know your thoughts

1 Like

I ordered one but will be some time before I get it as I am overseas.

I will try to compare it to the modius when I get it as that has been my main dac for a few months. I wouldnā€™t anticipate a big difference between them though as they are both based on the same chip and made by very talented people.

I have finally settled on the Archel 2.5 as my amp of choice so I am getting a jnog to match it. Archel and modius have been a amazing combo sonically but the modius is quite large physically so I want a smaller dac.

2 Likes

Jnog and Erish arrived today. Jnog is purple and the Erish is blue/black mist.

The build quality is very nice and the paint job impressive. I think one of my favorite things about them is the ability to set all the LEDā€™s to red. I think just having the red LEDā€™s makes the Geshelli stack my favorite of all audio equipment I have.

Great work @geshelli_labs !

I also have an Enog which is equally wonderful.

Also happy it works out of the box with Arch Linux. The included cloth with each device matches the color I chose for the metal body; nice attention to detail.

4 Likes

Looking pretty sweet there @SandboxGeneral !
I sorta see an ā€œFM Attackā€ album art theme happeningā€¦ :thinking:

Also see you piled the Schiit out back, lol

1 Like

Ha! That made me lol for real - ā€œpiled the Schiit out backā€ :rofl:

Yeah, I guess I do have a bit of synthwave theme going on there. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Anyone know where to get the USB driver that works with the JNOG for ASIO playback and/or DSD playback? Does it need to come from Amarano?

I think itā€™s here: https://www.amanero.com/drivers.htm

1 Like

Website says theyā€™re included.

@zeze That was it. Thanks!
@SandboxGeneral They are but only WASAPI was usable. I had to down the ASIO drivers. Wanted to put the JNOG though itā€™s DSD paces and see what I could push though it between PCM and DSD. This is really a hell of a dac.

1 Like

So I have got the Jnog and spent some time with it and its a very impressive dac I must say. Very nice take on the AKM ā€œVelvet soundā€. ITs XLR outputs keep the positive traits of the AKM style of sound and patch some of its weaknesses. I find AKM dacs typically sound slightly warmer, airier and vocals more distant when compared to other chipsets like SAbre. The vocals being slightly more distant sounding often makes people say the AKM dacs have a ā€œWide soundstageā€ but I find them to be typically quite diffuse sounding.

The Jnog doesnt have this issue, vocals have a very nice sense of depth to them. They are neither right in your face or very distant. Depth is general is the strongest point of the Jnog to me, I find instrument separation and imaging to be exceptionally good as well. I have been playing a lot of Pathfinder KIngmaker and some of the background monster noises and ambient sounds just stick out more to me than they did with the Modius as their placement seems better and more separated from the BGM.

Compared to the Modius RCA outputs, I think the Jnog xlr is just straight better. I find the Modius RCA to be similar but its more diffuse, has less depth and there is a kind of airy sheen over some things that just sounds fatiguing compared to the Jnog, not that the Modius is very fatiguing, its just that the Jnog is super pleasant sounding, one of the least fatiguing DACs I have ever used.

The Modius RCA tends to make everything sound more distant than is actually accurate I find (common issue with AKM dacs IMO)., the JNOG sounds more accurate. i also find the JNOG to sound more detailed mostly because the seperation is better which makes it easier to notice some of the smaller background noises.

The big question is how do the XLR modius outputs compare to the Jnog XLR and then matters get challenging. The modius XLR has a much more in your face wall of sound effect, its quite exciting for things like metal or when you are just looking to listen without thinking too deeply. Whereas the Modius RCA tends to make everything sound more distant, the XLR sounds really accurate, if a bit congested at times. The Jnog adds just a touch of that AKM width which can trick you into thinking music has more depth than the recording has (in a good way :))

The Modius XLR makes pops, hisses, clicks and other oddities pop more, wheras the Jnog tends to cover those up, they are there but very quiet. The Jnog adds a touch of sweetness or pleasantness to vocals whereas the Modius XLR is quite dry and brutally honest with them. In very simple terms I think the Modius XLR sounds extremely accurate to the recording while the Jnog makes them sound better than they actually are.

The one thing the Modius XLR does far better is subbass, its XLR has some freaking slamming subbass. Generally sounds like I have a larger bass boost on when I compare it to Modius RCA or JNOG. If you are a basshead who craves the slam above all else, Modius XLR is a great dac. Everything else I tend to prefer the Jnog for, I love the depth, and just how pleasant it is to listen to. I can put on a crap 256kb quality Mp3 and it still sounds really great on the Jnog, whereas not as much on the Modius.

Basically if you are doing mixing,mastering or other very critical sound work I would look at the Modius using its XLR outputs, if you just want everything to sound awesome Jnog is a solid choice.

All of my comparisons were done with a EQed Audio Technica AD2000 and I only used the Jnogs XLR outputs. Havent bothered with the RCA yet as I am not planning on using them since I use Archel 2.5.

8 Likes