Get a dac dongle or get the ibasso dx160 to listen to Spotify?

Hi guys, I’m looking to listen to my music with my iems at a little better quality but was wondering if it’s necessary to get a separate media player or just get a dac dongle? The ibasso is able to download Spotify and would be able to save music in their best quality which isn’t that bad from what I’ve heard. However, my phone can do the same and all I’m interested in is an improved dac and I guess the dx160 would also provide more power but how much would that improve the sound compared to my phone with a dac dingle?

If the dac dongle is a better option, which ones are the best to get?

For Android systems smartphone or tablet it makes sense.
I have bought mkr the Hidizs S3 for my tablet and it makes a lot better.
Not only volume but also in all areas you gain.

1 Like

I mean if you’re fine with a dongle and it’s mainly for iems im sure a dongle would be just fine. Having a dedicated player is also really nice since it’s a cleaner setup. I don’t know too much about dongles but I like the fiio btr5 a lot. You can direct connect it with usb c to a phone or use it in Bluetooth so gives even more options. Honestly, if it’s just Spotify, I would also say that Bluetooth wouldn’t interfere with the quality much at all. Especially if you’re running Android and can support the higher aptx or ldac

1 Like

Oh that sounds great, I didn’t know you can connect your phone to the btr5. If it can be a very good Bluetooth player (based on everyone’s praise of it) and be used as a dongle of sorts then that would be ideal. Does it mean that you can use the btr5 as a dongle when it’s battery is flat? Or would any usability be lost when the battery dies?

And yes this will be for iem use, just got the shuoer tape pro and interested to hear what better amp/dacs can do for the iem sound

if you interested, I’m selling a dx160 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the offer, will give it some thought

1 Like

I also bought a Shuoer Tape Pro and the BTR5 on 11/11. Just waiting :smiley:

1 Like

Mine arrived today, I absolutely love them so far! Build is crazy impressive and cable is so nice! I didn’t know what people meant by the magnetostatic driver producing smooth sound but honestly have been blown away with how smooth voices and music sounds. Only time by Enya is ethereal with them.

Now after looking around I’m keen on either the btr5, shanling up4 or earstudio es100

Shanling up4 , i believe u can use only thru the bluetooth. And the earstudio es100, i didnt read much about it.

And Fiio is s great brand, i already have the Fiio Fh3 thats fantastic.

I’m from Brazil my purchase maybe it’ll arrive at the end of December.

1 Like

I have the Lotoo PAW S1 at home waiting for me in my mailbox when I get home from holiday. From what I have heard other people say it is one of the best sounding dongle dacs available and it sounds more refined than most entry to mid level dacs. No bluetooth which limits it’s flexibility but that is offset for me by the fact that it doesn’t have a battery so it’s one less thing to remember to charge. I love the simplicity of plug and play. I had the Dragonfly Red before and it didn’t have great synergy imo with some of my headphones so I ended up selling it. I also didn’t like carrying the combo of phone + dfr in my pocket because I would sometimes lose connection at the usb c port on my phone. To eliminate this with the S1 I purchased a super short right angle usb c cable and I plan to use velcro to attach the S1 to the back of my phone case. This should give me a more solid connection and I won’t have to worry about the dongle flopping around in my pocket and losing connection.

2 Likes

Oh yeah they look pretty good, I agree I also prefer plug and play. Just sucks that it doesn’t have a 2.5 balanced. But that’s a minor issue.

Yeah if you have already invested in 2.5 cables that would be a bummer. On the other hand I had already invested in 4.4 so their choice of balanced output was actually a bonus for me because it meant I didn’t have to start buying 2.5 stuff just to use on the go. Also I happen to really like the form factor of the 4.4 jack. It just feels really robust to me.

1 Like

I’ve never tried actually but I think it needs battery to be connect to a phone. Otherwise it would drain. But if you plug it into a pc you can set it to just be a stand-alone dac/amp. I would’nt worry too much about battery though. It fast charges and I use mine on high gain st relatively high volume for my more power hungry cans and the battery holds out nicely. For iems on low gain and lower volume I don’t think battery will be much of an issue.

1 Like

That sounds good, it would mostly be for iem use, so that’s good to hear.

Stuck between getting this or the lotoo paw s1 and either the penon orb, lz A7, thieaudio legacy 4 (or just shell out savings with a clairvoyance but not sure if the performance increase is that great)

I’m kinda interested in the lotoo myself to be honest lol. I mean if you don’t plan on using the Bluetooth much, it’s sounds like a good choice. Something tells me that the lotoo would probably sound even better but the btr5 is definitely no slouch. But I wouldn’t know since I don’t have the lotoo… yet… lol.

Not as much power as the btr5 which shouldn’t matter for you since you’re running iems. I like the option of running the btr5 with my more power hungry cans, I mean it drives most of my stuff well.

But also 4.4 connected on the lotoo vs 2.5 on the btr5 and I would take 4.4 over 2.5 any day lol.

Yeah see I’m not so interested in the Bluetooth. Just don’t think Bluetooth tech is that great. Wonder why WiFi transmission isn’t more popular. Remember being able to send music or games from one phone to another with WiFi-direct which was way faster. I don’t really understand the requirements for any of this wireless tech, so just talking nonsense now.

Would you take 4.4 over 2.5 because the 4.4 is thicker and would be more reliable not to break over time or is there a sonic benefit?

4.4 is thicker and thus more durable, no difference otherwise.

1 Like

Do it! Lol

But seriously I’ve been listening for the past couple days and I’m impressed with this thing. I love the plug and play without fretting about battery. Haven’t used it from my phone much because I’m waiting on a right angle USB C cable so I can’t comment on that much. The sound is really impressing me though. It’s pretty smooth and organic sounding and it’s got some authority to it. I much prefer it to what I remember about the Dragonfly Red (which I know you had at some point because we got the same Elegia deal.)