Give me BASS. Give me FIRE... preferably in the form of a sub $500 pair of cans :)

Yes Argons seem to be the hot hot Bass Boy buy these days. Though some may say there are other treasures out there to be had. Given the limited availability of new Argon MK.3 and having read that they are not worth the frenzy; are there some unsung Bass rich cans that could use more attention? Argons appear to have become an “Old Guard, King of Yesteryear” type headphone. Where are the “Young Brash Emperors of Bassheads”?

I say sub $500, but tell me tales of these Gemstone Giants to fawn over!

Aaaaand-Its-Gone

2 Likes

Dekoni Audio Blue has plenty of bass. SIVGA Phoenix also has plenty of bass (but the fit is somewhat tricky).

I don’t know if you are only looking after bass quantity. However, I can give you a personal recommendation, the iBasso SR2. It’s one of the only headphones on which I felt the physical sensation of rumble — very rare in headphones! Besides the bass response, the headphones are nothing short of stunning and exceptional for the price. If you are interested, I did write a very long review on Head-Fi. I’ve been recommending these cans ever since I listened to them (still my favorite cans).

2 Likes

Dekoni Blue is bassy for sure.

Also check out Meze 99 series and E-MU Teaks. The Teaks are based on Fostex biodynamic drivers…the entire line of which is known for their crazy bass. They can be found on sales under $500, but they’re not much higher to begin with. Also check out the Beyerdynamic DT1770.

8 Likes

I’ve gotten that sensation of rumble only out of my HE6se v2 and it makes me think someone’s in my driveway and I always stand up to check before realizing I’m an idiot lol. 177x is a close second in my collection for bass but it’s nowhere near as clear as the HE6.

2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation! Ive heard good things about both the iBasso SR2 and Dekoni Blues.

In terms of what I’m looking for, well I hear that the BASS on the Argons is what they do well. My Ananda’s provide the most bass out of what I own, but Im looking for that “rumble” as you say. Not sure if I’m seeking an intangible quality. I imagine that nothing will compare to a subwoofer, but unfortunately I have neighbors to consider. I suppose I am looking for the bass line to come alive, to be articulate and full.

1 Like

In that case consider the recommendations we have given you. I can assure you that you will not come across many people with the SR2s, but those that do, they highly praise them.

E-Mu Teaks are a very common recommendation for bass canons.

1 Like

It’s starting to look as though I need to try some Fostex out lol. I’ll have to check out the others you suggested!

2 Likes

The HE6se v2 are on my list, but that $1300 price tag is scary haha. Beyerdynamic is one company that I like but have yet to add to my collection. The 177x were in my cart a while back, but I eventually caved on my Ananda and sadly had to cease my spending for a while.

Im literally listening to Zeos eargasm during his review for the SR2’s haha.

1 Like

what if i told you they’re $650? HE6se v2

fixed that link

3 Likes

The emu teaks can massage my head

1 Like

Oh dear lord!

if i had extra money and the heart of a dirtbag i’d buy them all and sell them all for $900 minimum lol

1 Like

Definitely have to put the audioquest nighthawks into basshead legendary category as well. Mine will litteraly shake on my head if I let them and they sound like nothing else that’s currently available to buy.

2 Likes

The Fostex THX00 or the EMU Teaks for sure

4 Likes

What no Campfire Cascade recs?

6 Likes

Emu teak of course mlord there isn’t better for dynamics. Slam… Rumble… Filling rattling and Kidney stone shattering B A S S E X T E N S S S I O O O N N

Open back recommendation Focal Elex/Clear is a great open back alternative. Very impressive slam

Not as good as the fostex biocellulose driver but it’s the only open back that comes to mind for that.[I hear good things about the harmonic dyne zeus and sivga phoenix]

My ZMF Aeolus on a tube can get retarded dynamics this even on a hybrid or solid state can’t even compete and its the same headphone.

If anyone in the thread wants to really hear dynamics at play check out Zhu - faded 14 seconds in that deep bass kick. Rip all Elex and Clear owners or Hans zimmer mountains at 2 minutes. Dear lord

8 Likes

(obviously fuck youtube compression)
but at 1:36 the bass volume like doubles and I use that as a test on a lot of headphones for seeing how tight a headphones bass handling capabilities are. really liking how punchy that zhu song is, definitely going on the list.

4 Likes

Nice with the back up vocals in the back on those 808 drums. Very nice

I knew I forgot something!

1 Like