šŸ”¶ GoldPlanar GL2000

DMS is like: where is the very detailed and comfortable signature on the level of an electrostatic or my parent company
Zeos be like: IT HAS BIG SOUNDSTAGE YOU MUST BUY IT

2 Likes

Yes, thatā€™s right, and thatā€™s why itā€™s important to state that the dynamic range is an objective measurement.

For instance, Amber Rubarthā€™s track ā€˜Tundraā€™ has dynamic range of 19, which is excellent. So Iā€™m able to describe what do I hear on GL2000 while listening to it as a clear, undistorted sound, when I can hear the quietest notes as quiet, and not as exaggerated, and the loudest as loud, all of them decaying into the black background as natural as possible, without clipping or distortion.

Thatā€™s due to the excellent microdynamics, microdetail, and resolve of GL2000. Listen to the violinist breathing some distance right to the percussionist - do you hear it as exaggerated and in your face? No, itā€™s quiet and barely perceptible, there is lack of unnatural amplification to those quite details. Can you hear the reverberations off the walls? How do they decay? Are they loud or are they subtle and natural, like youā€™re sitting into the venue? How far are the walls and how big is the venue?

I think that we can all agree that there is a distinct lack of an official definition of ā€˜headphones compressionā€™, and the term was used by DMS in order to fortify his negative view of GL2000.

This is in contrast to the widely accepted definition of ā€˜Dynamic range compressionā€™, quoted and explained by hawaiibadboy

3 Likes

The GL2000 uses N52 magnet, which is even double-sided. The N52 is the most powerful magnet you can find on the market nowaday (we have n55 but is not suit for headphone building), so these headphones can reveal amazing detail and soundstage. The details do not come from compression as the DMS said, and the dynamics are not lost. All these can be verified by your ears. :wink:

The N52 magnet is incredibly powerful, brings incredible micro-dynamics and details. Thatā€™s what ā€œå¤§åŠ›å‡ŗ儇čæ¹ā€ on the paper packing case is all about, which means ā€œGreat forces make miraclesā€ in English.

3 Likes

I just wanted to share the EQ profile for the perforated pads by Crinacle. This made a big difference.

2 Likes

Hey guys Iā€™m selling my gl2000 located in vancouver bc canada, if anybody is interested please dm me. Iā€™m selling because I lost alot of money on the stock market and I cannot afford to own nice things anymore.

edit: also selling a topping a90

5 Likes

There is a buy/sell thread specifically within the forums for this kind of thing.

Luckily for you you can keep it, because according to this thread GL2000 is not a nice thing.

1 Like

It has its pros and cons. I find them absolutely perfect for modern hiphop, which has the most ear piercing vocals. That dip is a godsend. I went back to my hifiman and I wanted to die listening to the same song.

2 Likes

Sorry for getting back to that topicā€¦ am I deaf or I actually hear pretty normal (not heavily compressed) dynamics of the GL2000? Listening to the background knocks of Decepticons by Steve Jablonsky at 03:13, Iā€™m blasting the headphones at normal-to-high volumes, but I barely hear those knocks. The same result is with approximately the same volume on my HD 560s that DMS praised so much. Did he mean this for the higher frequencies? Iā€™m with EQ though.

2 Likes

hey complete irrelevant but i want to ask what do i have to do to be able to star my own topic? I want to ask some advice as to what headphone i should buy.

Mine are from Drop and came with the D shaped hybrids with perforated edges and a spandex-y material

I find it very interesting on the opposite ended reviews for these headphones from pro reviewers, to those experienced on these forums.

One thing I read that DMS just said in his comment section was finding that there are QA or QC issues on these headphones that are leading to the different opinions on the reviews. Other than just reading about itā€¦is there any proof anywhere?

I would love to hear of someone who has had a chance to see a few pairs of these to compare side by side. If it truly is a QC issue and that is happening then we have a much bigger issue on our hands. $$550-650 headphones is pricey to have this happen. I know itā€™s happened before (Sundaras, Elex to name a couple) but damn.

2 Likes

This thread here has reports on different pads. Just changing pad material and style mid runā€¦ Iā€™d say less than ideal.

The pads were more of just a change mid-production. I am referring to material type, sound quality and the like being so different. I was very disappointed they changed the alt pads, but they did come out and say that they would be the D-shaped going forward. They should have told us ahead of time though first.

I wouldnā€™t jump to that conclusion.
Any reviewer with a pair they didnā€™t like could confirm this, by requesting another pair from the manufacturer and comparing them.
DMS and Resolves reviews had similar criticisms of the sound.
Z obviously loved them BUT I will say that the most compressed sounding headphone I have ever heard/owned was something Z loved soā€¦
It might just be as simple as the flaws being more or less significant to the individual reviewers, as at least one reviewer noted, some people like the compressed sound, it dives you a lot of in your face detail which can be ā€œimpressiveā€.

1 Like

In your face detail? That would explain why z loves the 789.

1 Like

With my first pair only one side worked and when I listened to the one side it felt ALOT more open/airy than my replacement pair.(even listened with just the one channel playing on the new ones) It could have been that pair was completely messed up or inconsistency with QC? Hard to say, Iā€™m thinking of removing one of the filters thatā€™s been talked about to see if it has that same open/airy vibe. The first pair felt a little heavier as well but didnā€™t put on a scale so it might just be all in my head

The plot thickens

4 Likes

Have had a listen to these for several hours, here are my quick thoughts:

Sound wise,kinda what i would expect from a $600 planar, with used pricing id say worth $300-400. Has decent width, but not the widest or biggest stage Iā€™ve heard. It does have nice height and depth to it though. Treble is its weak spot imo, i find that placement of treble instruments off putting, and the tonality is lacking and congested. Bass is detailed, but sub bass isnā€™t that much, but not missing completely. Mids are probably the most pleasing, vocals are somewhat lush and not very shouty. Overall these are just fine, not as bad as DMS made it out to be, and not other worldly as Zeos made it out to be.

My source gear:
FLAC on foobar2000,Schitt Yggdrasil and XI Audio Broadway.

9 Likes

Thank you for this short impression about the gl2000s. Do you have any other headphones to compare it to?

1 Like