šŸ”¶ GoldPlanar GL2000

this hasnā€™t happened to me yet, manufacturing happens to everyone so

Funny how two out of two review units of 600ā‚¬ headphones have a screw looseā€¦

This was the cold splash of water I needed to cancel my order, thanks. Although I donā€™t think I share preferences with the reviewer, Iā€™d rather wait and see what more people think.

So if the GL2000 is between Sundara and Anandaā€¦ does that mean it underperforms? Sure, they ainā€™t hype, but are they good? I heard too much technical words from that last review lol, but Iā€™m also a fan of big soundstage and relaxed top frequenciesā€¦ so I guess Iā€™ll be fine.

1 Like

Interesting, I certainally respect your restraint and decision, though it is after all only one review and itā€™s not like he smashed it into the ground.

The reviewerā€™s video does paint perhaps a darker picturer than what others have. However I also know this guy to be very very technical and nit picky about headphones.

A comment from ā€œZā€ himself and few others made me reconsider the reviewerā€™s stance on it. - ā€œI donā€™t measure, I enjoy, and there is no other headphone I enjoy moreā€.

4 Likes

And hereā€™s the bump on the train tracks thatā€™s starting the derailment of the hype trainā€¦

Iā€™ll post a link to the ThieAudio Phantom thread for those who are curious how this ends.

7 Likes

Meh. I have blue tack on my L700mk2sā€¦ a headphone needing a dab of Loctite doesnā€™t bother me (tbh, I skipped the build quality section because thatā€™s been discussed to death). If I didnā€™t already have Argons for music Iā€™d be really interested in these for music (the graph in the treble looks a lot like how the Argons sound to me). The Argons are a ton of fun to listen to and I suspect these are as well. For gaming, I donā€™t think these would work for me (I only play Overwatch) because Echo and Zen have crazy treble audio queues.

1 Like

Iā€™ll chime in here on this being that I have these on order as well.

I appreciate both Z and Andrew on their respective reviews. I am just getting into ā€œaudiophileā€ quality of sound and so admittingly I did jump on the hype. What I realize is you have 2 very different kinds of reviews here. I do not listen to headphones to critique the sound and every subtle detail of things. I also listen to enjoyā€¦hell I game mostly so yes I enjoy first.

I hovered cancelling on Drop after I watched Andrews review. Literally finger on the key to send the requestā€¦but then I had to 2nd guess myself.

I was looking into the Zeus before this at 350.00 Then I decided to stretch that further to 500 range and looked at the Aeon Open X/RT. Almost ordered those too. Then saw Zā€™s review. Nobody got as excited about those cans as Z. Itā€™s not just Z though, itā€™s others that have listened to them. Both on this forum and discussions on Drop. That many people canā€™t be drinking the crazy coolaid and just be dead wrong. Most of those reviewers (and I mean no offense to this) gave some technical remarks but basically just enjoyed the hell out of them. So, thatā€™s what I am looking for.

So perhaps that will help others decide as well.

My ONLY true concern would be on QC. I can adjust a screw and tighten over time. No issue with that as long as the thing doesnā€™t fall apart. The weight is also a concern considering my TYGR 300 are fairly light. So Iā€™m still excited to get these and see for myself realizing its a big jump from a 180 set to 580.

5 Likes

For anyone interesting Soundnews will drop his review sometimes next month. If youā€™re considering this headphones you might want to check his take on it, he has many planars to compares to and he always do a great job imo.

4 Likes

I appreciate your stance as most of us are here to have fun. Iā€™ve had a lot of reviews and opinions ruin some of my gear for me. When most layman people see my setup, they go nuts. It is only in this world where I get people scoffing at my equipment. I think everyone needs to chill a bit. Not just on these headphones. I can find stuff I hate that everyone else seems to love and vice versa.

9 Likes

I am also new to this being an audiophile stuff. I bought a pair of sivga phoenix based on reviews. Saw the DMS review as well, looking at a different perspective. Just bought the gl2000 and only have one headphone to compare to, so thisll be fun. Got it off of drop for $549 with the help of my fam. Just looking to enjoy them.

6 Likes

So zeos Just want to sell us a better sundara for 600 bucks.
Zeos ist the reason, why i get into Hifi, but with his Fake Hype Reviews i start to dislike him.
Like His Friends DMS and Joshua, both Hype the abyss Headphones Like crazy and Talk Them godlike, but DMS is clearly working for Them and promot they Headphones everywhere, even Linus Tech Tips.
I cant Trust this Guys anymore.

By the way, I got most of the hyped stuff these dudes recommended so far and Iā€™m absolutely happy with them, regardless hype or not. Only 1 headphone that I got had a bit too much treble for me but was awesome nevertheless, thatā€™s allā€¦ Did you listen to the abyss headphones? I didnā€™t, so I canā€™t judge yet. I guess if they are that good, DMS actually helps a lot by promoting them. Just my thoughts.

1 Like

Someone correct me if wrong, but this here is the 4th hype train started by Zeos. All of which fizzled out to medium-ish reviewsā€¦

Definetly a conflict of interest issue, yep.

Jesus, Z said they were his favorite, if you donā€™t trust him donā€™t buy them. I never understood how people can be so salty based on another persons happiness or enjoyment of a product. Smoke some grass and relax brocheese. No one cares what you do donā€™t buy and experience. lol

11 Likes

I didnā€™t expect this to be so controversial, maybe ā€˜soberingā€™ at worst. Nuance is a challenging thing to express and have properly resonate in a world where many would prefer ā€œitā€™s greatā€ or ā€œit sucksā€. The bottom line for those who may have missed it is that if you care enough, itā€™s worth being patient with this stuff, regardless whose style you prefer, itā€™s a good idea to wait for consensus and more information to come out. At the end of the day, Iā€™m also just one person, and while it didnā€™t work for me, it clearly worked for some peopleā€¦ so keep that in mind.

31 Likes

I think you are a bit low on that number actually.

Monolith M1060, M300, NFB-11, Tin P1, Tin T2, BTR5, Koss KPH30i, KSC35, TRN BT20, Xduoo XD05+. That is just the stuff I actually own. I am pretty happy with most of them. I own plenty that they dont recommend and Iā€™m happy with that too.

I personally didnt like the Abyss, mostly due to comfort. Other stuff, like the Audio Technica M50 are much better than those guys say.

However, we all have different tastes and perspectives. What I like about those guys is Iā€™ve personally met all of them. They are all very respectful and take the time to discuss music and their preferences with you. I can assure you that none of them are drowning in money from reviews. Theyā€™ve just taken their passion and made a career out of it.

4 Likes

Uggghhh I wish I got a shipping notificationā€¦ Im axiously awaiting this pair. If Zeos says they could replace many headphones on his wall for him, Iā€™d like to hear what these headphones can do for me. Iā€™m not expecting my sound preferences to be met, Iā€™m expecting that the sound coming out of the gl2000 will be the sound that meets up to the expectations of Zeos. Hopefully Iā€™ll enjoy what that entails. Will be interesting.

3 Likes

Who did you order from?

I enjoyed the review, and I really appreciate all the content youā€™ve put out over the years-especially since you partnered with headphones.com. I donā€™t always agree, but I would be insane to expect to. Iā€™m personally a fan of having as much data as possible, so your reviews have been an invaluable resource over the years. I welcome as many reviews and review styles as possible, but its really cool to see regular uploads from your channel

6 Likes