šŸ”¶ GoldPlanar GL2000

7 Likes

Holy cow your hand looks small compared to it.

3 Likes

Its perspective as well but yes my hand from base to middle finger is like 6 inches long

1 Like

you will definitely not degrade the sound using any sort of decent adapter . the plugs inside that amp are of the same quality not until you get to 500 to 800 do you see more expensive xlr plugs inside amps

1 Like

My GL2000 came today, first impression is Z and Bad Guy really under sold these. The Honey H1 paired with these headphones is a great match. Also the Topping 50s stack has more then enough power to drive them as well.

4 Likes

I created an account just to say this. Iā€™ve had these for about a day and yeah, these are phenomenal. I found myself lost in these when listening to Time 1.5 by Wintersun. I love the soundstage, although these seem to lose some of that aggressiveness that I like when listening to metal, but these are not designed like that anyway. Tried them with the drop grace dac + smsl sp200 combo. I donā€™t know which pads I like more yet, Iā€™ll have to do some more testing later.

8 Likes

Decker,

I would take a look at Hart Audio Cables. Look at the Multi kits and find one that works for you. Than look at the headphone cables, the GL2000 would use the HC-9 Dual 3.5mm TRS ends.
This is a very versatile set-up, if you purchase the Multi-kit 1 you would be covered for almost any amp connection. You would just need to purchase headphone cables to match your headphones in the future.

Or you could just buy the the HC-9 with the termination you need. This will limit you if you get different connections with other/future amps.

They do run into stock issues and it could take a couple weeks if there are issues.

Just an idea that I think could save you money in the long run.

I want to add, please check the headphone ends needed, I am tired right now and have been working for many hours.

5 Likes

I just ordered today after Zā€™s review. Iā€™m running a Rotel Ra-1592 Integrated amp and just bought this adapter from Amazon. Is it going to be safe? You guys have got me freaked out with blowing amps!

DD ddHiFi DJ44C 4.4mm Balanced Female to 3.5mm Male Headphone Jack Adapter, Audio Converter / Connector for Earphone, DAP/ DAC/Amplifier

I just recived mine tooā€¦ i did a comparison between zen dac (4.4 output) and the SMSL SH9 with SMSL Sanskrit MKII (SE), and i didnt like at all the sound of the zen dac, too harsh, flat and coldā€¦ i definitely recommend to use a diferent amp-dac

Iā€™ll chime in about the confusion with balanced conversion.

First of all, whatā€™s the difference between a balanced amp and single ended amp? A single ended amp has a right and left channel signal with a shared ground connection while a balanced amp has a positive right left and a negative right left signal. So, if you want to convert a balanced headphone to a single ended amp, it will be alright because they would simply combine the negative right left leads into a shared ground connection. However, the problem arises when you try to make a balanced amp into a single ended one because you will short the negative right left signal.

So, for your case, it will be okay because itā€™s a balanced headphone to a single ended amp conversion. Just remember balanced headphone to single ended amp is okay, but balanced amp to single ended headphone is a big NO.

1 Like

Z should be more responsible with his reviews, especially this one that he hyped so hard.

There are alot of newbies that hang on his every word.

He never mentioned in his review or gave a link in the description that you would need an extra adapter with the pentaconn cable.

He said ā€œjust about any headphone amp will work with the GL 2000 headphones.ā€

Unless you pay him money, he will not respond to your questions.

He clearly just cares about himself and money and I feel sorry for anyone that holds his opinions about very technical equipment as a valuable or reputable mark in the audiophile community.

He is misleading a ton of people right now and it is disgraceful at best.

1 Like

Good thing I did research beforehand and bought an adapter. I watched like 3 or 4 other reviews. I dont remember any of them saying it comes with a 4.4 pentacon.

1 Like

I feel like if there are newbies that hang on his every word, they should have enough knowledge (from his words) that the big cable doesnt fit in the small hole. He mentions that stuff, i dunnoā€¦ regularly? What are you even talking about?

8 Likes

If he mentions this regularly, why are so many people coming onto this forum asking how you plug a 4.4mm headphone cable into a headphone amp?

No, you misunderstand. People that havenā€™t had experience with balanced cables are unsure if they can just use an adapter to their non-balanced amps (the way you would with every other mismatched connection type) Because most headphones donā€™t come with balanced cables. And, are you ready for thisā€¦ you can. Its no different than getting a quarter inch adapter for your 3.5mm cable.

But as you might know if you have been reading the comments, its not ok to adapt a single ended cable to fit a balanced amp. This is not the situation any of these people are in, as the headphone comes with a balanced cable (w/ pentacon plug) its just something to note for the sake of thoroughness.

5 Likes

So now I canā€™t read and I donā€™t understand the english languageā€¦

I can see why there is frustration on other forums and hostility toward Z.

I dunno, can you? You seem to think zeos doesnt reply to people who dont pay him (your words) yet he has replied multiple times to people in this very forum, which is free. /shrug

4 Likes

Every asshxle needs a txrd to validate its existence as an asshxle I guess.

The climate of this forum is not constructive or helpfulā€¦

My constructive advice is to make more thorough reviews when dealing with technical equipment.

Links in the description for adapters for starters.

Explain the specifics, donā€™t say most amps will work with a 4.4mm headphone cable and leave out the interconnects you will need.

Explain that you could blow out an amp if you get the wrong connection for the 4.4 mm headphone cable to convert to a 3.5 mm connection in the amp.

Maybe also tell what 4.4mm amps would sound best since you have knowledge and have reviewed almost every headphone amp.
(You only get this knowledge if you pay him, his words, not mine, which creates a storm of confusion when a ton of inexperienced people jump on a hype train.)

Very unprofessional in my opinion.

1 Like

ahhh you are trolling. i get it. well done sir. Either that or you actually cant read. Naaa youā€™re trolling.

6 Likes

Having only just escaped clueless newbie status, several points come to mind -

1. Clueless newbies arenā€™t that likely to buy a Ā£500 set of headphones.
  2. He does mention that the connector is a pentaconn.
  3. Of course he cares about money - this is his living. Do you work for free?
11 Likes