🔶 GoldPlanar GL2000

They changed to D pads as a mini upgrade. It’s official, confirmed by the manufacturer. Similarly Zeus recently did an upgrade to the paper that sticks to the driver

1 Like

They are OEMs for some German / UK speakers for like ten years I think and have quite a bit of experience with planars, AMT and ribbon stuff. Hence the GL2000, GL850 and GL1200, all pretty acclaimed within the Chinese hifi community.

2 Likes

I currently have a modi 3+ / Magni Heresy, Would there be a significant difference if I swap the Heresy with a Topping A90 on these headphones?

I didn’t quite like the Dekoni pads for Fostex, at least with TH610, THX00 etc. My favourite is the Yaxi Alcantara which you might wanna try

Maybe some of the monolith offerings?

If you get A90 you might as well utilise the balanced connections but then you’ll also need to buy a balanced DAC. I don’t own A90 so someone here knows better but imho this kinda linear, neutral amps sound probably more similar than different

What do you like/dislike about the magni? Most of the regulars on here advise not go with an a90 since it can be overly clinical. If you would like a nice upgrade from the magni. An Asgard3,Jot2, lake people g111, and a even a used monolith liquid platinum could do these headphones justice.

I have the D90 /A90 with these. I like it.

I guess the question would be, what music do you typically listen to?

Has anyone else had any issues pluging into the Drop789? I used an adapter and it will barely drive my 2000’s.

Works fine on my 789

1 Like

Test your adapter with another amp. It could also be a defective cable.

I was just wondering if there would be any audible difference given that the two amps have a similar sound signature, but the A90 has a balanced output and a lot more power. Nothing really wrong with the Heresy and I like how it sounds, that’s why I was asking about the A90, curious to know if it would make a difference or not.

For reference, depending on the mood the music I listen to is mainly jazz, classical instrumental, pop. Occasionally watching movies and a lot of competitive FPS.

1 Like

My review of the GL 2000.

Amps:
Topping A90
Drop Thx 789

Dac:
Geshelli Labs Jnog

Did I break the wheel of Samsara listening to them?
Almost.
Then I melted from orgasmic sound stage like the bums did in the classic movie Street Trash.

Are these end game cans?
For me, yes, 100%.

I think they compete with the LCD-X and they are half the price and half the weight.

They run super clean through the A90 with the JNOG.
They run even better through the 789 imo with the XLR cable Linsoul has for 100 dollars.
I would not use an adapter.
Pay the extra money for the new addition cables.
Linsoul has updated new XLR and 3.5 cables with the 4.4 cable it comes with.

These are definitely the cans you want over the ones to the 1000 dollar range imo.

Ariel Pink sounds amazing on them.
The songs White Freckles and Lipstick from the Pom Pom album are bangers for sure with these cans.
Round and Round also is good.

TLDR
I would 100% neglect a couple of child support payments to buy these amazing cans.
Real Audiophile Talk.
Who Am I kidding, real audiophiles would never have crumb snatchers taking away from the next big score.
Enjoy these End Game cans!

8 Likes

I currently use a 4.4 to 3.5 mm adapter for the GL2000’s with no issues. Does getting their new 3.5mm cable going to do anything in terms of sound?

Why do people compare the Sundura with the GL2000?
Apart from the fact that they are twice as expensive, the drivers are different.
Optics ect is something else.

I see the GL2000 much more as a conqurent for Aeon 2,Aeon Rt maybe still,Lcd 2C,Quad Era,the Ess offers on Massdrop again,tending in that direction.

The Sundura is much more in a different league.
The Sundura was also compared with the Lcd2c, although they are very far apart in my opinion, which is why I understand why the Sundura is seen as the main opponent again.

So the question to you is how does one come to this purely out of interest?

3 Likes

I see two options:

1. Sundara owners upgrade to the GL2000

2. The Sundara and GL2000 perform similarly

4 Likes

Some might disagree with me but in my humble opinion anytime you alter a cable from it’s direct path, it takes away some of the quality from the experience.

If you like rain, take your shirt off and feel it hit your skin instead of using a raincoat when you are rocking and rolling through the jungle with a 60 gunner.

I have used multiple adapters on multiple sets and never found there to be any kind of impact on the sound. If you’re having no issues there’s no reason to think you need to burn 100$ on a whole new cable.

6 Likes

These are much better than the Sundara based on comfort, alone. Just the fact that your entire ear fits easily inside the pads. Then the fact that they have a larger stage and are less sibilant, is a bonus cherry on top.

As a former owner of the Edition X V2, Ananda, Arya, HEK V1 and V2, HEKSE, and Susvara, I’m going to be honest. I think you have to go all the way to the Hifiman HEKSE to be worth the upgrade cost. Below that, I’d take these every time.

To my ears, these remind me a lot of the Arya in terms of soundstage and imaging, but without the upper mid/lower treble harshness. I honestly can’t believe how much you get with these for their price.

They’re not better than my Verite, but those are 3x the cost!

I really only watch Zeos for fun, because I find him entertaining and hilarious. But he is not shilling with these. I also really like Andrew at Resolve Reviews. But I don’t agree with him on these. These punch way above their price point in my opinion.

10 Likes

Question, (may be a dumb question but I don’t completely understand this) I bought a Monoprice THX AMP today and was wondering how to utilize my GL2000’s balanced on it. I bought a balanced XLR cable for the GL2000’s but I’m guessing I have to use XLR inputs on the back of the DAC in order to utilize the Balanced output? Or can it run balanced straight off of USB to my PC?

1 Like