šŸ”¶ GoldPlanar GL2000

PC --> DAC (usb)
DAC --> THX Amp (XLR)
THX AMP --> GS2000 (your new XLR cable)

No not a dumb question at all, I probably have no idea what Iā€™m talking, but hereā€™s what I think:

Normally Iā€™d say yes, a fully balanced amp typically has two discreet circuits, one for single end and one for balanced, and typically manufacturers have the balanced circuit in mind and the single end is like an add on. So in order to fully utilise the balanced circuit you do need balanced in from a balanced DAC.

However, in your case I believe the 887 is more like pseudo balanced, meaning that the balanced signal is converted from its single end circuit (I think, assuming it uses an almost identical design as the 789) so some say it doesnā€™t actually matter.

Iā€™ll leave this as a question here and let someone who knows better than I do answer your question more properly.

1 Like

3.5 unbalanced? Yeah I strongly doubt youā€™re getting the power they want.

On second read, now I realise youā€™re asking whether u can connect the amp directly from your computer (USB). The short answer is simply no and it has nothing to do with balanced or not.

Your computer USB (or coaxial, toslink) emits digital signal, and your amp takes analogue signal. Hence you need something in between, a digital to analogue converter (DAC). The easiest way (Altho probably a bad way) is your computer line-out, which already has an internal DAC converting digital signal to analogue signal. But usually itā€™s not decent so you would probably want to buy a standalone DAC.

Then you will think about how to fully utilise the balanced output, which Iā€™ve replied above

Iā€™m going to use the Monolith as a DAC and AMP.

Iā€™m sorry, its not the 887. Its the Monolith 124459 to be specific. Iā€™m going to use it as a DAC/AMP.

In that case you should be fine to just plug the DAC/AMP in using a USB from your computer and then use your headphones with the XLR out on the front. As long as you use the GL2000 with a 4 pin xlr cable at the end.

1 Like

Ah ok. So PC -> USB -> Monolith -> XLR Balanced Cable -> Headphones will make them balanced. Got it. I thought it required to use the XLR inputs in the back somehow to get the balanced sound.

Nope, the DAC inside handling your USB input will drive it balanced. Hope that helps!

Edit: Also yes, that signal chain looks good to me!

1 Like

Ah yes then USB straight to the DAC/amp combo. I believe the XLR input is for when ur using ur Monolith as a standalone amp. I almost forgot this combo unit exists

1 Like

The dude from the headphone show said in his review that Sundaras were better in many regards.

OK itā€™s official. These are now officially my favorite headphones for punk, ska, Dio/Rainbow/old Sabbath, Thin Lizzy, Doobie Brothers. I could go on, and thereā€™s definitely a lot of music I donā€™t like them with unless you EQ them but some just sounds how it should. Oh, and I really like them on tubes. I never really actually liked tubes before but Iā€™m really feeling the way these sound on tubes.

4 Likes

Donā€™t be stupid like me, I call this curiosity killed the catā€¦ bye bye $650ā€¦

17 Likes

comparison please,
thank you so much,

1 Like

Did you damage them?

did it break?

and the magnet only on one side?

Yeah trying to put it back together my fingers slipped into the filmā€¦ I was trying to use clamps the the magenta are crazy strong.

Blockquote

4 Likes

Both

4 Likes

That hurts.

3 Likes

To be honest Iā€™ve been depressed lately, and it almost doesnā€™t seem realā€¦ But itā€™ll kick in when. I have to buy another pairā€¦ I contacted lionsonā€¦ hopefully I can just buy the driverā€¦

5 Likes