šŸ”¶ Hifiman Edition XS

Yea Iā€™ve heard, from a Zeos video once, that planar magnetics could mess with mics or something. I honestly donā€™t know enough about the subject though to say if that was the culprit to what happened in my demos - could be.

The he6 have ridiculously strong magnets so I would think itā€™s a possibility depending on the mic that it could effect the recording.

2 Likes

The 6sev1|2 needs at least 8 wpc at 50 ohms to get the bass right. 500 needs 2 wpc at 38 ohms,

I have a 4XX with mods/EQ and its a pile of junk next to my HE-500 or my 6v1. Anyone thinks any HFM 4**, toss in the 560 too (not including 400se which I have not heard) is a match for either has them on the wrong amp, or a defective 500 or 6se.

I see the 4th person dissing the 500 in the past 4 years. The first 3 had amps under 1 wpc, which makes the bass and mids flat.

Hmmm, the magnets (to me) seem to be strong in all of them, donā€™t they? Almost slipped a tool in a planar once - and then many other unsung heroes out there have successfully totaled their driversā€¦

Hmmmā€¦ I see. Yeah could be a bad unit or amp, the one I tried years ago, but an old one (OG He-500).
I wonder now though - you may or may not really be impressed with the XS then.

Itā€™s not miles ahead of the 4XX/400i to me - but is more open, goes lower in the bass, and feels much taller. But from what I gather - I wonder if it will leave you wanting for moreā€¦

You best wait for a 6SE vs XS feedback for sure.

1 Like

all it takes is a finger if youā€™re in deep enough lol

If the XS is close to either the HEX v2 or XX I wonā€™t like it. Iā€™ve had the v2 for 4 years and know the XX well. Iā€™ll throw the Ananda in as well (I dislike that more than either of the others).

Iā€™ve got mods/EQ for my 6v1 and its a rough equiv with the Arya v1. The XS better be good to beat that.

I do not like the order situation on the XS at this point.

Oh gosh I remember seeing that. That hurts so much.

1 Like

@ATK @bagwell359
I say if your amp game ainā€™t strong, XS is the play. My qualifications are:

5 Likes

Holy moly - I see. Yeah I guess thatā€™s right, though I do see the XS being the only one really ā€˜warming upā€™ my ifi micro DSD in my collection. Even the Senn 6XX and the amp would act cooler than a freezer. Am yet to try it balanced - Iā€™ve settled with the SMSL SH-9 for that - will try once reunited with it. So far, so good single-ended.

ouchā€¦ I always look at exposed planar driver arrays asā€¦ radioactive substance, thatā€™s how Iā€™ve been treating them ever since. Just interact with it as much as is necessary and not a millimeter closer.

2 Likes

I have the:

HE-5LE (needs lots of mods to keep up)
HE-400i (in its day, not bad)
HE-4XX (meh at best)
HE-5se (hunk of junk)
HE-500 (fuzzor, cable, Ether Angled Lamb Pads, no screens, dynamat to get correct Q on bass, parametric EQ ) - rather listen to it then Clear, E1, Arya, 800 S
HE-6sev1 - some mods/EQ better technicals than 500 but lacks the mids
HE-HEX v2 - mods and EQ, still a soft lower treble and lacking impact in bass.

Thatā€™s on a Ragnarok 1, Gumby, LG v40, Qobuz - balanced as much as possible.

Also run a BHCs with about $500 of caps/tubes for my HD-600 which is quite excellent.

Iā€™m selling the HEX and HE-6se to get a NIB Susvara - unless the XS or new Arya stop me. If so then an iFi no DAC streamer.

1 Like

yeah the XS arenā€™t super power hungry and are pretty forgiving when it comes to source gear while the he6se v2 is easily the single pickiest headphone iā€™ve heard in my life and i donā€™t think a single amp under $1000 does it justice.

1 Like

Am I good with my Ifi Zen Dac v2?

with the xs? should be fine. iā€™d get a balanced cable, though.

1 Like

6se was good with the Lyr 3 w/ multibit. But generally I agree.

Been thinking and these might replace the ananda, like the 400se did for the 400i, hifiman direct has a discount coupon for them (the ananda) on my local amazon for the first time ever, they might be trying to offload inventory before selling the XS globallyā€¦

1 Like

when hifiman releases in china first, then elsewhere later, what is the pricing usually like globally? Similar to the chinese pricing + VAT or whatever?

It seems like thereā€™s a big dip somewhere in the mids. It doesnā€™t bother me with most music, but every once in a while Iā€™ll hear a track or an album that makes it extremely obvious. Maybe EQ would help, if you knew which frequencies were lacking.

What other headphones do you typically listen to?