šŸ”¶ GoldPlanar GL2000

If you buy from Amazon, they still ship from Linsoulā€¦ Mine did anywaysā€¦

Check out Dan Clark Audio Aeon Flow 2 Noire. Itā€™s basically Aeon Flow 2ā€™s with a tasteful pinch of sub bass. Just keep in mind that planars love power and these are no exception. Iā€™d check out Zā€™s review on the Aeon Flows (OG or 2) in regards to fit since the head band design are virtually the same and I believe he has a fairly big head (my assumption is based on his KPH30i headband). You might be able to find it at the presale price of $760, but normally they sell for $899. These came out in early January, so the presale price may not be offered for much longer.

4 Likes

Anyone tried these with a decent dap and gets nice bass slam?
I have Aeon2 closed but my dap just hasnā€™t got the power to make em slam.

What pads did you get with it? where they D shaped on the inside giving more padding behind the ear?

Did you try the other pads? The cloth perforated ones?

I have both headphones and i think the GL2000 is definitely worth twice the price. For one thing they dont have the dark that the Zeus has. They are much more detailed and thrilling than the Zeus. They kinda have the detail of a high end headphone. If you can afford it go Zeus.

1 Like

Not alone. :call_me_hand: I like the seal around my ears the stock pads give.

3 Likes

Hi everyone

First post on here

Iā€™ve had the GL2000ā€™s for a week now and they are rather good. I have tried so many headphones over the last Year and these have come closest to what Iā€™ve been looking for. Iā€™ve tried Sennheiser HD599 (First open back headphones sounded great back then) Sennheiser HD 660S (great sound but lacking bass, super comfortable and light) Sivga Phoenix (Terrible pads and although good bass lacking in mid and highs) Focal Elear (OK bass but freq response all over the place) Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (OK sound over all however nothing special) Sennheiser HD560S (Still use these - great sound extends well but a little too reference sounding)

I am no expert as these are running off a ifi zen dac but the sound is superb using the standard pads. Iā€™m visually impaired and fear braking something if I try changing the pads. The GL2000 are slightly warmer than the HD560S but invite you into the centre of the music rather than putting it in front of you. The HD560S are brighter which leads to the impression of more detail. All the GL2000 need is a better kick and they would be perfect.

I have the Focal Elex coming (Hard to get them into the UK) so will decide which to keep after testing them. Iā€™m not fortunate enough to have a collection as I only use headphones while I am working from home so I canā€™t justify having multiple sets.

Cheers

11 Likes

Hereā€™s the thing, if you buy from anywhere right now that ships from China then you will be waiting at least a month. I would cancel, maybe use the link earlier in this discussion to get the HE-6se for $699 and use your money left to buy a used stereo amp, like a parasound, or the emotiva A-100.

To the lovely people thinking of ordering this headphone, please do not try for drop; unless you do not care when theyā€™ll be shipped out. This is the third of three products I have bought from them in which the shipping has been delayed, I cancelled it and ordered off Linsoul.

They came with the stock oval leatherā€™s pre-installed, my experience with headphones audio is very limited so I have to admit I was comparing apple to oranges when thinking about the sound going from Ā£80 speakers to Ā£250 JBL 305 studio monitors (which was huge).

After spending a good 40ish hours with them now, and having tried numerous tracks I love 'em, jumping between the two 'phones I have just further accentuates the differenceā€¦ comparison is key I guess.

Hybrids are nice, but withdraw too much base for me aswell as depth (they improve soundstage and space), in my case the hybrids werenā€™t as comfortable, but honestly made the feeling of headphones on my head dissappear which was impressive but yeah I prefer to the stock pads.

Stop perpetuating this idea that stereo amps are good for headphones. You donā€™t take headphones that are incredibly detailed and then plug them into a potato. For the same price as an a-100 you can get a schiit magnius. Thereā€™s literally no excuses left to use an a-100 on headphones anymore, especially ones with balanced inputs.

Normally I would agree with you, but with an he6 that actually can be one of the very few that will benefit from what a speaker amp can offer imo, but with the mass majority of other headphones I wouldnā€™t suggest a speaker amp over a headphone amp. Although personally the a100 was not that impressive at all with a he6, but then again neither were similarly priced headphone amps Iā€™ve tried in that range (Iā€™d be wanting to step up to a higher level for the he6)

1 Like

I get the power needs but that thing is just so awful sounding. Itā€™s like saying that a model a itā€™s the best car on earth because it was in 1927. Times have changed and you know it better than anyone else on this forum.

Are we talking about the basx or the he6 here lol? Personally Iā€™d say the he6 still really holds up and is an excellent headphone (and can scale really high as well), the basx is actually a solid amp for speakers in itā€™s price range but I wouldnā€™t ask too much out of it nor would I use it for headphones

They have indeed changed for sure, it just depends on what quality range you are talking about, as personally Iā€™d say Iā€™ve observed the most change in the budget range

1 Like

The HE-6 is special and I was just giving an alternative for for the GL2k at 1k. I view the HE-6 almost like Electrostatic Headphones and their energizers. You can always get a better used stereo amp at the same price of the A-100.

Hmmmm true but your options are slim for 200 used, but at sub 1k used you have a ton of nice power amps to go with an he6 which is where I would personally want to start off if I were considering an he6

Anyways apologies for derailing the thread lol

Yeah I love my he6 but you couldnā€™t pay me enough to use them on that noisy ass a-100. Like I said earlier, thereā€™s just options out there for pretty much the same price that have more than enough power but are clean. I know im not telling you anything you donā€™t know, as youā€™ve thrown me down more rabbit holes than anyone else has in this hobby lol. My whole point is just donā€™t put good headphones on trash sources because you want 20 times the power you need.

If I told you that you had to use an a-100 for 1266s youā€™d call me crazy and you know it.

The Parasound zamps v3 are about $140 -170 on ebay. You could get one, then get another and that would net you 90wpc at 8ohm out of them for about the size of an Asgard 3.

I guess thatā€™s fair, you trade some impact and dynamics for cleanliness and detail for a a100 vs something like an asgard or magnius, but you do trade alot in this situation, going with higher end used power amps would not have as big of trade offs, but I guess it just depends on what you want out of the he6. Or I guess more accurately I wouldnā€™t recommend going that cheap for an amp for one in the first place lol, as I canā€™t say I was a fan of the he6 on something like the basx nor the magnius or asgard (although if I had to pick I might choose the asgard out of that bunch)

Yes, but at that point I would just tell someone to up their budget and pony up for a nicer amp instead of cheaping out in general, since at like 200 bucks your options are meh and meh for driving the he6 imo, since you choose between bad and not as bad imo, more of a get you by or stopgap than anything

True true

Ah yeah you could bridge those couldnā€™t you, that would work well then, Iā€™ve tried an he6 off the zamp but only one of them, so I bet 2 would be more satisfactory. Going up a bit higher you could start looking for some of the used adcom, rotel, larger parasound, perhaps some old bryston and carver amps, etc, so Iā€™d say there are good amps around the 400-600 range too that might be worth the step up for someone wanting an he6 experience on a budget

1 Like