šŸ”¶ GoldPlanar GL2000

I thought Planars dont play nice with tubes? May I ask what youā€™re running them on?

So I tried them with a darkvoice through my 789 but I actually like this shitty little nobsound preamp through the 789 with 6j1 tubes and I adjusted the treble and bass knobs most of the way up (lol). I ordered some tubes and Iā€™m gonna tube roll and see if I can find anything I like more. Iā€™ll keep you posted.

1 Like

Hey all, love the forum, Iā€™ve been lurking for months but Iā€™ve never been faced with such indecision before.
I was in the first 50 for GL2000s on Drop.com but they are experiencing delays and now Iā€™m torn between canceling the order and perhaps looking at a different headphone upwards of $1100, or holding on until they deliver (whenever that may beā€¦?). At this point, like the others I figured ā€œOh boy, 100$ off!ā€ but that was the first week of January. Now with talk of the lunar new year, Iā€™m discouraged, itā€™s been a month of long, painstaking waiting, and now Iā€™m faced with weeks (if not months??) more. Iā€™m just curious where to go from here.
I set out looking for a pair of cans that will blow me away, and make me say ā€œwowā€¦ā€. I have the MMX 300 2nd gen right now and they are awesome, but if I want to jump up a notch to ā€œend gameā€. I have not heard a planar but I love sub bass, great soundstage and imaging, and Iā€™d love a larger set of cans for my big head.
Before the GL2000s, I was considering Audeze LCD line, but now Iā€™m also a bigger fan of sub bass and find the closed back cans have given that well, but thatā€™s only compared to the HD6XX which isnā€™t known for bass, lol.

So, uh, Iā€™m rambling, but is there any advice from all of my dudes?
1- Do I cancel drop, order immediately from Linsoul (ā€œGL2000 is amazing, get them NOW!ā€)
2- Hold onto drop order (ā€œMan theyā€™re great, but it can wait. Best entry into ā€˜wowā€™ territory without breaking the bankā€)
3- Cancel drop, and look into another headphone thatā€™s more WOW than the GL2000? (ā€œThe hype was hella, but do more research my young padawanā€)

Much love guys,

2 Likes

So after listening to both the pads, I think I prefer the stock leatherā€¦ though I think im alone in thisā€¦haha

2 Likes

3 - cancel GL2000 and look for another, i.e. Arya second hand for about $1000.
Why? The hype is real, GL2000 have the sub bass, soundstage and imaging, and they are huge, if you have a big head. I wanted to love them, but they sound all wrong to me. General sound is awkward and fake af. The 5k peak kills me. I want to love them, I still continue to burn them in, but for 30 hours of burn in they havenā€™t changed a lot.

4 Likes

You are not alone, I prefer, or rather hate less the stock oval pads.

1 Like

Did you try resolves eq? It makes them a sundara with twice the imaging and soundstage and detail

3 Likes

There two types of ppl: those who eq, and me.

Also to make them sundara is not a compliment.

4 Likes

No I like the stock leather ones too.

2 Likes

What are some of your headphone favorites?

iā€™m in the same boat iā€™m considering canceling it and maybe going to LCD-2 or obviously just waiting it out for whenever drop decides to send meā€¦

Yeah I donā€™t like the sundara either. I just figured a lot of people do so you might like that eq but if you give it a try before you dump the headphones on someone else youā€™ll see they really can have detail itā€™s just behind a weird veil that I really think they could have tuned a lot better out of the box.

I love the leather pads over the hybrids. Though the hybrids are easier on the head with less heat and lighter, the leather just feels soft and very nice against the skin.

1 Like

iā€™d say if youā€™re going to cancel at all and reorder, do it through amazon. i will be keeping mine and modding them to see what i can make them capable of. if youā€™re going to spend the same amount of money, fuck audeze headphones get he6se and grill mod them. holy fuck theyā€™re good.

2 Likes

Donā€™t buy them from Linsoul. Get them off Amazon instead. The restocking fee is less (20% vs 35%) and they have a US warehouse for Amazon orders, so you donā€™t have to worry about customs if you want to send them back.

I ordered my GL2000ā€™s from Amazon on January 16th and got them on January 29th. Way ahead of schedule.

1 Like

I prefer the stock leather too. Theyā€™re more comfortable and I prefer the sound.

2 Likes

Hybrid Tube Amp might be among the best things to run planars on.
As @Pokrog mentions, a little Bravo Ocean I use at work has been very complimentary with planars.

So guys, now the question is - LCD-X or GL2000. Looking for end-game. Anyone heard both?

2 Likes

GL2000 all day. They are twice as light and half the price and sound really amazing.

2 Likes

I have a big head (7 3/4 baseball hat) and the GL2000s fit me very comfortably.
My ears have so much room and they are not heavy cans that fatigue your neck or top of your head.

I would not cancel the drop orderā€¦hang in there! They are worth it!