šŸ”¶ GoldPlanar GL2000

Hey, welcome.

I would like to read your thoughts on gl2000 vs the elex. So let us know, which one you pick. I also disliked the sound if the phoenix. Currently i use a the sundara, the zeus and the b&o h6.

3 Likes

Thanks for the impressions. Iā€™d be curious to hear your thoughts on these vs the Elex.

Got my GL200 three days ago.

Powering it with an Ifi Hip Dac.
I donā€™t now whatā€™s wrong with some people but I like it a lot already (still burning in).
They donā€™t need as much power as some want to tell you.
With a Hip Dac on high gain, I canā€™t turn it to 1 oā€™clock. Too loud!
Dynamics and everything, all there.
Activate the bass button on the Hip Dac and you are in a Techno Club (with electronic music), but the GL2000 sounds even better.
I life in Berlin, so I know what a good Techno Club Sounds like. :smiley:

12 Likes

Guess I know who to call if I wanna listen to the GL2000 :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Mine arrived last week:

• It sounds good to me (on a FiiO M11 and a Topping DX7s) but what the hell do I know?
  • If youā€™re a clumsy oaf like I am, changing pads is a pain in the arse. It may be advisable to borrow a small child and get them to do it.
  • Theyā€™re comfy; by far the most comfortable headphones Iā€™ve used.
2 Likes

I would assume it is, but I havenā€™t heard the GL2000 so I canā€™t really give you an answer here. I think @SkipsMchee has both the asgard and the gl2000 so he could most likely give you more insight

1 Like

It sounds great on the asgard 3.

Compared to my xd-05, btr5, and basx a-100, it performs the best in terms of detail, spacial creation, soundstage sounds more open compared to the other amps I have, and just sound a bit cleaner and more coherent if that makes sense.

Better separation, resolution, clarity, and space compared to the basx a-100. The a-100 does slam a little harder with a more in your face presentation.

Just as reference I get to my listening volume on the asgard 3 on high gain at 9 oā€™clock. I turn it up to 11 if I really want to party hard and question my hearing. Iā€™d recommend the asgard 3 for the price range.

3 Likes

Itā€™s good sadly I will have to pay another 150 usd in taxes and well already paid 120 for shipping so it in the end I bought it as 300 usd amp and 300 usd dac instead of 200/200. But still itā€™s probably just as good as any 300 usd amp

1 Like

Ifi hip dac has about as much power as a Fiio Q5s. Iā€™ve been running these on the q5s for the past weeks and think they sound fine. High gain + bass boost is pretty nice. They go very loud indeed plus I donā€™t really hear distortion when turning it upā€¦

Now it is said they need 2 watts, which is about 4x more than what q5s or hip dac has. I would really like to try these on something that produces more power just to test if thereā€™s any clear difference.

Although for now I donā€™t have that opportunity without just buying something. Iā€™ll see what I can do to test that. Real curious.

1 Like

It will not sound much better. That is my experience.
If an Amp has enough power, then the biggest factor in sound is always the Headphone/Speaker.

Searched but couldnā€™t find an answer to this:

Do the GL2000ā€™s have a standard balanced 3.5mm connector at each driver and no crazy wiring difference like the Monoprice M1570? Iā€™d like to use my previous 4-Pin XLR cable with 3.5mm ends on my Monoprice THX-887 and not damage anything.

With that said, I still purchased the extra XLR cable because it looks quality made.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I was thinking.

You could spend 700ā‚¬ for a ifi signature that produces 4 watts. But in reality, how much of a noticable difference will there be.

Iā€™ll be testing it for sure out of curiosity eventually but Iā€™d think itā€™ll be rather marginal.

1 Like

Yeah itā€™s standard. I use 3.5mm dual plugs from my phantoms and amirons home as well as some balanced cables from China and they all work on the gl2000.

2 Likes

Let us know if there is a noticeable difference and what your opinion is. :+1:t2:

Absolutely, will do!

1 Like

Will have these in today. Going to spend my weekend and throughout the rest of this month with themā€¦

edit:

get go, hybrid D shaped pads feel very cheap. Let the box warm up a bit before I go checking it out more. Still though, very disappointed on these hybrids they are the D shaped ones but I get a higher quality feel from Dekoniā€™s pads and these arenā€™t of the memory foam variety or anything. Reminds me of Brainwavz. I will have my first impressions set later once I give these a thorough listenā€¦

8 Likes

they need more than the 300mw of the hip dac. sure they will get ā€œloudā€. if you havent tried them on over a watt you are missing out. every planar ive ever used needs more than a watt and sometimes 2 a medium to high listening levels for all the details not just dynamics.

I do not agree.

1 Like

alright so some initial impressions hereā€¦

for starters these things are a bit heftyā€¦ though considering the weight of Audeze I can forgive thatā€¦ they do feel a bit heftier than my Hifiman which could be that the build quality is better as these feel much sturdier so bonus points for thatā€¦ Build wise very smooth finish and very good lookingā€¦ cups are really large. Negative points from me on the size thoughā€¦ so, as someone with an average/above average size head I donā€™t have to adjust the headband on this at allā€¦ meaning if someone has a smaller head than me this isnā€™t going to fit you likeā€¦ at all as this is still pretty loose on meā€¦ I think it would benefit greatly from a thicker pad to fit this potential problem but not sure which pads would work in that regard for this headphoneā€¦ considering the size of the oval cups.

Amps and dacs this seems to be getting some attentionā€¦ so to the asgard 3 this thing on high gain only gets to aroundā€¦ I want to say 35%-50% depending on the recording till itā€™s actually considered loudā€¦ this doesnā€™t need a massive amount of power however, this headphone definitely is changing how it sounds depending on my equipmentā€¦ im not seeing the soundstage zeos was having until I go to things known for higher spatials such as the liquid platinum and asgard 3ā€¦ violectric sounds gorgeous on this but makes the bass seem lackingā€¦ liquid platinum opens it up and warms it up but the mids seem to take a small hit and appear slightly dipping, asgard seems to provide a good balance overall but leaves me wanting a bit more clarity which is where the violectric seems to shineā€¦ this one seems to be a bit pickyā€¦

again, just because the headphone gets loud does NOT mean itā€™s synergizing properly with your setup or that your getting the most from your headphoneā€¦

Sound: depends on the amp but lets just go with the more balanced approach here? I donā€™t like thx amps but I did try it to my AUNE setupā€¦ didnā€™t respond the bestā€¦ it sounds good but passā€¦ left it on asgard + bifrost 2 so thatā€™s where these observations come from.

Bass: tight, controlled, soundsā€¦ slightly under the neutral line not by much theres rumble impact and definite speed that planar slam and speed is noticeable. However, I wish there was more here might be best to eq this or connect it to ifi setups

Mids: honestly these sound gorgeous in the mids very clean very crisp very presentā€¦ I honestly like these even more then my sennheisers vocals actually are surprising me a bit on this one considering the priceā€¦

Highs: a bit on the uncontrolled side and some songs hit some notes that were slightly uncomfortable. It teeters on too much for this signature and just right, for me itā€™s just right for relaxed listening not so much on analytical and sterile. There is some sparkle too and detail retrieval is definitely superbā€¦ granted I think my beyers do detail retrieval better here those sound brighter with a different sound signature as a planar though these do a damn good job at detail retrieval.

overall: currently I have a hard time discerning whether the Arya is even remotely worth it when these existā€¦

Soundstage: the soundstage and air quality on these is fucking massiveā€¦ more than sundara more than ananda better than both on the depth quality and recreation of the space in the sound.

Imaging: I am a bit of an imaging junky if itā€™s bad I call itā€¦ these are not badā€¦ not at allā€¦ yes, there is some headphones better in this regard arya is one of those in my opinion as well as some othersā€¦ however, this is no push overā€¦ the imaging here is still pretty spot on and I have no complaints in this regardā€¦ go into this not looking for a studio listen and more of a music lovers listen and you will be fine.

Gaming: so far so good, very impressive. The bass being as lean as it is makes it not as enjoyable casually but in terms of competitiveā€¦ these things are monsters potentially a cut above the DT 1990 in some regards depending on the game. The issue here is they need a good setup to get to this point it seemsā€¦ I tried connecting to like say my old liquid spark and didnā€™t get the same results whatsoeverā€¦ it sounded more intimate warmer and a bit on the veiled side even so the clarity took quite a hit.

negative points so far: heat build up, pads are made quite cheap, heft, not my preferred signature

16 Likes

which pads did you use for all this? youā€™re basically saying everything i think about them except i think the detail a little lacking in certain frequencies like its got some kind of overlap in the stock tuning so it muddles the detail a little. if you try out resolves eq to ā€œmake them a sundaraā€ the detail is 10 times better but you lose all of the character that makes them so nice. idk its a weird one and i will definitely not be getting rid of them. theyā€™re pretty far outside of my normal sound signature preference but i am loving the contrast they bring to my collection.