šŸ”¶ GoldPlanar GL2000

yeah the detail issue is why I said beyers do that betterā€¦ I noticed that pretty quickly as someone who frequents the brighter headphones. Those were with the hybrid padsā€¦ those leathers muddle stuff up and even add some veil tendenciesā€¦ they really did not do the headphone justiceā€¦ you definitely want a airier padā€¦ honestly if there was a straight suede or full perforated leather I would use those over the two stocksā€¦ but definitely make those pads softer memory foamā€¦

Yeah I tried that, I can agree yea the detail retrieval is a lot better but it practically destroys the base signature which is a no go.

They respond great to EQ thankfully so you can tinker to your hearts contentā€¦ I will however, not be keeping mineā€¦ it doesnā€™t suit me personallyā€¦ but I do think they are worth a buy I will say that ā€¦ least at the time being I will continue to use them

2 Likes

Yeah if they didnā€™t meet my music tastes on tubes so much I probably wouldnā€™t keep them either but since the rest of my collection of headphones is all really analytical and bright, I will. Analytical and bright is like the opposite thing I personally normally want for the classic rock, metal, punk, funk, lounge music, and old school hip hop I normally listen to.

As Zeos said, the magic buttonā€¦
On the Hip Dac only a bass button, but for Techno or other music with thick bassā€¦ very nice.

Still evaluating. They are not easy to switch. So far, I find the Hybrid pads loose base and the treble peak for me rings a bit. Iā€™ve been an IEM person most of my life and so far I donā€™t find the soundstage in the GL2k particularly spacious nor the imaging very precise. The stock pads preserve more of the lows, but not overly so. In sort, I feel a bit more balanced between highs and lows with the stock pads, but yes, I do understand why people might like the hybrid. The highs do appear more spacious, but I didnā€™t like it at the loss of the lows for me. Iā€™m not a bass head. I listen mostly to vocal / acoustic tracks without a lot of thump so to me, the lows roll off too quickly. That is my assessment of the headphone in general, the pads just push it one way or the other just enough.

However, Iā€™m a beginner with headphones so I have anything else I can compare this sound too. I also paired this with the Dethonray Honey H1 and the combo is not as smooth as I would like. I feel the GL2k on a linear stack would melt my brain.

1 Like

Itā€™s 60ohm impedance and 99db sensitivity. Capable of giving it more than 2w/ch. Plenty.

Considering all of what you said, I am happy I got the HD Zeus for right now while I wait till god knows when to get my GL2k from Drop. No idea if I will like them once I get them but I am enjoying the Zeus for sure. Enough that I have boxed up my TYGRā€™s and will be strictly with this set for now.

Iā€™m hoping the GL2k end up being a good change up type HP for me. Its so strange how so many have different views of them. Iā€™ll be using them on the Magnius/Mobius once I get them. Still looking forward to that day if anything for the experience.

I have been getting told that the zeus may be a good step up above tygrā€¦ been really wanting to try it but havenā€™t seen it circulating on saleā€¦ will get to it eventually. Linsouls awful return policies keep me from purchasing from them directly

itā€™s not a bad headphone by any meansā€¦ I do have quite a few issues with it that will keep me from having it stay in the collection thoughā€¦ however, these are issues for me not so much just a general complaint such as the weight to me being an issue

Yeah funny enough I thought the Zeus was a bit heavy at first coming from the TYGR which is pretty light. The GL2k is I believe another 150 or so heavier than the zeus. I know Planars tend to be heavier though from what I read. Will be my first planar too on top of that.

I got mine from Linsoul and was hesitant but unless defective I didnā€™t plan on any return. Iā€™m not that deep into the hobby yet to buy to sample lolā€¦knew I would be stuck with my purchase.

Hopefully I like the sig of the GL2K enough.

Hello. I have the iDSD black label nano, the iFi Hip Dac and also the iDSD Signature. The Signature performs somewhere in the realm or my desktop stack (smsl su-9 sh-9) but gives it the nice iFi sound that I like.

The smaller ones (hip dac and nano) are good, but u know youā€™re getting the sound from a portable. Good sound, but good for a portable. Some details and space are noticeably less, but thatā€™s because I have a point of contrast.

3 Likes

Really not a contest for me, iFi Signature is significantly better.

7 Likes

Loving the discussion here so far! Iā€™m currently using the GL2000 with Topping a50s + SMSL Sanskrit mkii, do you guys think there will be noticeable improvement to sound quality if I upgrade my amp/dac set up (say in the $600-700 range)? Thanks!

1 Like

Oh, surprised to hear. Thanks for your post.
Is the sound difference because of the 3D button or without any features turned on?

Thanks. For female vocals and saxophone which one would you pick?

I am not a fan of the 3D boost but I love the Xbass. Even with these turned off, Signature still sounds better. Tbh I think it sounds better than the BL Micro as well. I have auditioned the iFi Diablo and while itā€™s desktop quality sound for me, I prefer the Signature because it has the iFi flavor that I like.

2 Likes

Interesting. Thanks for your input. I will test it. Just wished they made a signature that also has bluetooth already :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

I like the Xbass also. :+1:t2:
Is the sound difference really significantly better?
If thatā€™s the case then Iā€™ll have to try it out.
For me the most Amp/Dac upgrades were always marginally better.

I agree. In the near future hopefully. I dont need bt right now but if I do, I will just connect the super tiny Topping BC3 via optical. It is tiny, cheap, already bt 5.0 and has all the Bt codecs and can connect to any dac via spdif.

I think itā€™s worth auditioning it. For me, itā€™s noticeably better, for better or for worse because going back to hip dac or nano, I am aware of whatā€™s missing. Dont get me wrong they still sound great and very enjoyable and it may now just boil down to individual preference.

1 Like

Looks like the drop run is not that far behind. Just shipped this morning.

What was your targetted ship date?