šŸ”¶ GoldPlanar GL2000

The 10th of this month.

Yeah mine shipped out as well. Nice surprise, I was sure they were gonna take much longer.

So, sadly I have been working a lot of OT so no real review of this yet. I do have some impressions to share.
I had to switch back to the stock leather pads on these for two reasons, 1st) the perforated ones were too ā€œloudā€. Not the music, the pads. Every times I moved my head I would hear the pad. I tried them for a week and no change in that. This leads to the 2nd) these pads made the headphones to loose, though I get a little movement with the leather (no sound form the pad) it does not feel like it will fall off.
I did play with EQā€™ing these and I like them even more. Biggest change was in the low end (below 100Hz) and the 5000Hz to 8000Hz range and they seem cleaner and less recessed to me. Ohhh wait, 1812 just came onā€¦ Okay, back, that piece just sounds amazing on these. I have never heard the canons so well behaved for a on or in ear.
Yeah, these are nice, not end game, but nice. My Monarchs actually seem to resolve more and have better rumble. Not apples to apples but what is. In the end it is whatever sounds ā€œbetterā€. That would go to my home theater set-up as of now though.
I just wanted to touch back and give an update as I still plan to do a comparison between these and a few others.
I do have a question if you do not mind,

1. I am trying to come up with a accurate method to quantify the true dB (A and C) for different headphones and IEMS connected to different set-ups. I know the pro rigs can do it for pro rig cost. I have looked at the miniDSP EARS, but that does not seem like a good set up for IEMS. I was thinking of getting some silicone ears and make a rig but it looks like the coupler needed for the mics could be difficult to get. Anyway that is where I am so far. FR would be nice to measure but more worried about dB.

Crinacleā€™s review on the GL2000

8 Likes

such a polarizing pair of headphones

1 Like

Lol yup. All the reviews have told me is that I need to hear them for myself and throw expectations one way or the other out the door. That said, it seems like a lot of people with more focus on musical enjoyment really love them and people that take more analytical stances donā€™t, and that bodes well for me.

11 Likes

Wow, my Amazon DE order just updated to a red-colored ā€œUndeliverableā€ status with no actual reasonā€¦ so I will never know how they sound. Most likely itā€™s because there is a 1 star review with a comment about the VAT thing, big thanks to that lol.

I tried them with my Q5s - they sound terrible, in fact unlistenable. Bass boost just adds another level of cringe.

1 Like

Aah the subjectiveness of sound!

Have you found another dac/amp combo where you do enjoy them on? Or is it bad vs worse for you on this headphone?

Iā€™m really going to need to find a more powerful source and hook em up to test differences for myself.

1 Like

I was wondering if any of you guys have any suggestions on a headphone that complements the GL2000. Like a more bass heavier one.

Same price range or below.

I have the opportunity of buying a 2nd hand fostex trx00 ebony for 350ā‚¬. Or maybe the HD Zeus. Those are two headphones people have praised pretty much so one of em might be a safe bet. Anyone with experience?

Also, sorry if this is maybe not exactly within topic?

Youā€™re not kidding, and itā€™s absolutely wild. Canā€™t wait to get my pair, from what everyone is saying, music lovers will love this headphone. I def hope it is that way.

2 Likes

I love mine but I would never use them for a lot of music. Theyā€™re just not right for some genres. That being said they are absolute eq monsters and so far have taken every bit of eq I throw at them phenomenally and become capable of any genre if you spend enough time with the eq. @Ishtaldea_the_Priest

OH yea this are incredible for music, there is so much details, every single track sounds just different !!!

I find them perfect for rock and metal music. EQ is mandatory.

0 eq and tubes is like magic for lounge and funk.

1 Like

I own TRX Ebony I like them a lot, but GL2000 are 1,2 tiers above. If you looking for home use headphones get GL2000, Fostex are close back so you can you them outside :slight_smile:

Hi folks, I made the decision today to part with my GL2000. An extremely spectacular headphone with a lot of potential - but I canā€™t stand the way womenā€™s voices bore into my head through these headphones. And no, I donā€™t want to create EQ curves, especially since I use an iPhone ->
XDUOO XD-05 PLUS operate.
Therefore I am offering these headphones, which I have owned since the end of January (bought directly from Linsoul), for sale. If you live in Berlin and / or the surrounding area, you are welcome to hear it in advance for a rehearsal. Everything in its original packaging, only in operation for a few hours. PM me for more information. In terms of price, I would like to have what I paid plus the import fees of ā‚¬ 115.-
Oh yes, the XDUOO XD-05 PLUS - not 4 weeks old - has to go too. It will be a STAX headphone ā€¦

3 Likes

Crinacleā€™s review is the best ive seen so far on this headphone. it should be seen by all prospective buyers. he is very detailed and used measurements tastefully and relies on sound over all. as i said before they are basically bigger sundaras without the tonal accuracy for double the price. he did surprisingly give it a B- which surprised me. i hope expectations can be tempered but also enjoy what you have

3 Likes

Crinacle also said the pc38x has 3 blob imaging and obviously never used them for gaming, so donā€™t take his opinions as objective fact either. He does a good job with a lot of stuff he does but heā€™s not infallible. @Gruntslayer

1 Like

OOTB GL2000 (DM) Impressions:

Gustard X16 DAC
Monoprice THX-887 Amp
Bellari EQ570
MQA Tidal

Out of the box Iā€™m pretty impressed with the GL2000. Iā€™ve been A/Bing them with my EQā€™ed Monoprice M1070 and can clearly hear a sound upgrade. I used to own the HE-500 and HE-560 and hated them after awhile. The GL2000 destroys those two in enjoyability. I havenā€™t heard the Sundara yet, but unless it was a massive upgrade and tuning change over the HE-560 Iā€™m going to believe that no, the Sundara does not match up to these.

Thoughts
*Both the M1070 and GL2000 sound better with EQ. GL2000 responds really well to an extra few dB ~60Hz
*Soundstage and separation are much better on the GL2000.
*Overall sound (Bass, Mids, Treble) are better on the GL2000.
*The stock pads are oval inside. Perforated ones are D shaped. Havenā€™t tried them yet.
*1070 has a slightly more ā€œhollow?ā€ sound (canā€™t think of a word to describe it, itā€™s not muffled)

I disliked the 1070 without EQ, but with it itā€™s a whole new headphone. It does pretty well (but should be ~$300). I would have been perfectly fine with just these.

The GL2000 though, even out of the box, is worth the price to me so far. That separation is real. Iā€™d like to see a measurement on the passive soundstage and imaging response because the FR graph alone doesnā€™t tell the whole story. These shine with EQ.

Really enjoying them.

7 Likes