šŸ”¶ GoldPlanar GL2000

So Iā€™ve had the GLs for about 2 weeks now. Been using them everyday and last night the right driver just went quiet, only sound coming from the left side. I am using a Jot2 and donā€™t have them past 10 oā€™clock on high gain. No pop, crackle or anything prior, just silence. I doubt I blew the driver, so I am wondering if I just got a dud. Anyone else have a similar issue?

Might be cable?

I donā€™t have another one of these cables but I did switch the 3.5m ends to check for sound and I still only get sound from the left driver. I have ordered a new set of cables and they will arrive tomorrow but I dont think if the left one works when i switch it.

Hmmā€¦ no I agree with alot of his review on the 38xā€¦ they really arenā€™t that greatā€¦ music wise they are pretty bad and gaming they are what Iā€™d say is average across the boardā€¦ nothing special and the imaging, lack of detail retrieval, and lack of separation are very apparent in fps that are larger than say cod or csgo or something of the smaller varietyā€¦ I owned the 38x for months itā€™s probably the best gaming headset but cheaper headphones can definitely best itā€¦ so if someone owns a v moda boom pro, modmic, or dedicated mic it would be a better idea to just get a headphone over itā€¦ the mic is pretty meh too.

Anyway I also agree with his statements here Iā€™m having the same issues no matter what I do something sounds off hereā€¦ itā€™s like a pick your poison the amps and dacs change it and the leathers sound pretty bad in my opinion so I use the hybridsā€¦ feels like a love or hate headphone but considering the weight here I wouldnā€™t recommend this for long gaming sessions over the course of 4+ hoursā€¦ that weight does seem to catch up and grow tiresome least it does to meā€¦ audeze does the same as does the monoprice but those monoprice are ridiculously heavy

I like the signature here but a bit torn on it

1 Like

Since I donā€™t have a 4.4 balanced output on my THX amp, I bought the following XLR adapter to use on the stock cable and it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DTXQYM3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Stock cable and this adapter sounds a bit better than my thinner 4-Pin XLR cable with 3.5mm (which also works). I like the stock cable so much I ended up buying the XLR version.

1 Like

Going to try this with a ultra clean setupā€¦ gotta go grab my a90 back as its borrowedā€¦ so far I personally prefer my lp combo the most here but I havenā€™t tested something like the a90s signature yet.

Curious to what sig you give it? Iā€™m finding since I really liked the TYGRs and so far love the Zeus that I may lean towards warm. I had the dt990 250 back in the day and returned them immediatelyā€¦hated how bright they were.

i have the m1070 as well. got it for 250 on amazon. needed EQ very badly but after that it sounds great. can you share what you EQd? i only found 1 measurement online . they are very nice for 250 with EQ .

Itā€™s a bit of a tough callā€¦ I want to say a mid centric kind of neutral. It does have some treble in there but itā€™s not real bad just quite present. Bass is definitely not emphasized so I cant really say its warm and itā€™s not quite bright either

I use hardware EQ so I can run WASAPI bit perfect from the PC and tailor the sound afterwards.

I only have 4 areas to EQ, but the 1070 responds well to a 40-70hz +3db or more increase( more than +6db). It needs it. The GL2000 doesnā€™t need nearly as much.

You also must decrease the 7-8kHz peak on the 1070 by a good -3db or more. The GL benefits by a slight increase here and dropping 5kHz like the other EQ profile in the thread. I donā€™t remember the other adjustments but they were minor.

1 Like

For those that are looking to order, the listing was removed from Amazon todayā€¦ a few hours after I bought them. Not sure if Iā€™ll still get mine, or if the order will be canceled. Sadly I didnā€™t think about the cable type and canā€™t recall what in on my older lol.

edit and they are back being listed. Odd, they were gone for 3-4 hours.

ah ok well if you look at the measurements it is very bad, the bass needs plus 10DB until 50hz then 4 until 80 there is a big 6k droop and 8k spike that need boosting and removing. also some midrange droops to elevate. was quite hard to match up but it sounds like a different headphone going back to original literally sounds like trash not even worth 50$ its that big of a difference. its like someone stuck rubber into the driver and cotton in my ears in comparison. sounds really great now for 250. love the pads and classic planar slam and crispness

1 Like

That one M1070 measurement online is not correct. I saw a different measurement about a year or two ago and it looked nothing like it.

I have decided to sell my pair too.

One of the reasons is how they force some female vocals on me. The mid rage has a haze which bothers me too. They have a big sound but it is wonky and the bass is lacking impact and definition. My HD560S have the same level of bass but is has texture.

I have to admit I got caught by the hype train a bit and went back to planar even though I had Sundara and didnā€™t not like the planar sound. It is too dry sounding with forceful treble.

Iā€™m worried about the ELEX I have coming now. The QC issues donā€™t sound good at all. I have spent way too much on this quest. Whenever I come back to the HD560S They just show how great they are for a fraction of the price. Also they are comfortable for all day at the office.

4 Likes

Let me know how you like the ELEX!

1 Like

Itā€™s interesting how some people, including Crinacle, have a negative impression of the sound these make.

Even if it isnā€™t 100% accurate, itā€™s nonetheless very subjective whether a person enjoys the sound produced. I very much enjoy it so far. Itā€™s like defending a crazy flavor of ice cream. Sure it isnā€™t natural, and maybe has an artificial flavor, but itā€™s still fun to consume. For me anyway.

2 Likes

thereā€™s no reason to defend this headphone or any product in this hobbyā€¦ if you like it, who cares what others say and thinkā€¦ use what you enjoy and move onwards.

Personally, I see a lot wrong with this particular headphone but a lot done correctly.

7 Likes

Yea I guess Iā€™m not defending what it does wrong. Just bringing up the obvious that people enjoy it :slight_smile:

I have the regular TR60 with dekoni hybrid pads (for the 1990pros) and they are AMAZING for movies.

Completely agree with you here. However it does have me wondering if I shouldnā€™t try to cancel my order and go with an Elex or another Planar with a different sig. I was looking forward to a Planar, but maybe they arenā€™t for me. The sig has me worried I wonā€™t like it. I do plan to game as much as listen to music with my HPā€¦itā€™s the weight concerning too. Damn Iā€™m torn.