šŸ”¶ GoldPlanar GL2000

Unlike headphones that usually place the performance inside, near, and around your head; the GL2000 seems to have the uncanny ability to place the performance in front of you. Maybe it is this ability that is triggering different opinions. Enjoying this ā€˜liveā€™ performance characteristics. Pretty awesome having Eva Cassidy strumming and belting out in front of you.
The GL2000 likes clean, strong, SS amps, in balance.

4 Likes

If you do so, could you briefly compare/rate the gl2000 vs sundara vs dt 1990 pro? This would be awesome!

I own the sundara and was thinking about buying the 1990 pros or the gl2000 in addition to the sundara. Iā€™ll keep the sundara, but i would like to have a detailed and wide headphone with more bass.

Damn it! Yesterday DMS mentioned in his QnA video that GL2000 is not worth more than 250$ - 300$, because the detail retrieval is at most as good as the Sundaraā€™sā€¦ Soo, if you care about detail retrieval (like the reviewers with negative comments do), you might be disappointed I guess. But I guess Iā€™ll decide for myself soon anyway.

1 Like

Iā€™m in the same boat here, I have no idea, plus if I am being honest I am watching drop for their announcement today to see what is going on there.

It has to be asked, to the people who have had the chance to use these, how do you feel on the sound profile? Would you say these are very neutral, I def wouldnā€™t say these are V shaped. How is the bass, what music types shine on these, what comes up lackluster? Would you say the treble is pushed to hard, what about midbass / mids in general? Any feedback is GREATLY appreciated.

bass recessed mainly in the sub bass, mids dip but are close to neutral with the upper mids pushed up and have more emphasis, treble is somewhat bright with a bit of a scoop in it. After listening to it a lot I would say a mid centric bright headphone personally.

not gonna talk about music or what frequencies are pushed too hard though, still sitting with it contemplating my thoughts.

1 Like

At 120 hours of burn in, still less than impressed.
I can see they have potential. I want to love them.

3 Likes

I hate to be that guy but you might want some more power

2 Likes

I think that you actually might be right.

I absoulty love mine off my iFi idsd Sig, but when I use them on my Topping dx7pro its meh for music but damn good on movies. On the iFi I can run them in turbo mode at noon with no issues.

It may be very subjective here, as many things are, but some things especially so.

These have the community at further ends of the spectrum than the hype would have led us to expect.

I love that I happen to really enjoy what they do differently from what I own and from what I have tried before.

for reference i love my gl2k but they are absolute dog shit without eq for certain genres. at very least they need eq or tubes to match my taste and i havenā€™t eqā€™d them enough for things like modern metal or any form of electronic music as i have other headphones i can just plug in that sound great for those genres. i still love them for what they ARE good at and i feel like the skys the limit on these if you tweek enough on the tuning but i dont know how much time iā€™m willing to spend tuning by ear.

4 Likes

why not tune based on the many measurements? there are free tunes out there already for Harmon curve.

iā€™ve used the harmon eq and its great. people keep comparing the gl2000 to the sundara stock vs stock and i feel like if people would just buck the fuck up and eq it theyā€™d realize it takes no time and comes out twice as good as a sundara in every single way after eq.

3 Likes

What are they good at in your opinion?

hello,
anyone here listen to metal?
how is it?

thank you so much,

• Slaughter to Prevail - Demolisher
  • Make Them Suffer - Neverbloom
  • Plague Years - Evil One
1 Like

I actually pulled out my Sundaras to compare them after daily driving the GL2000ā€™s for 2 weeks on leather pads. Manā€¦they sound bad. So bad that I though they were broken for a second. The sound was directly in my ears instead of around me, the vocals actually seemed farther away and hollow. When listening to some metal, the Sundara blended all the sound together and it became muddy compared to the GL2000 where i can hear each layer and musically I enjoy it moreā€¦ Idk if its the soundstage of the GL2000 but I honestly donā€™t like the Sundaras compared to the GL2000 right now. However Iā€™ll give the Sundara better bass punch by like 15%. Sub-bass is better on the GL2000.

12 Likes

This is what I like to hear when so many others are going ā€œjust get sundaras.ā€

3 Likes

They sound good except Plague Years imo. Vocals were really far away, almost like I was backstage and I had a cymbal in my left ear constantly that was slightly annoying lolā€¦ Slaughter to Prevail song sounded the best mixed. Make Them Suffer was also good. Not as much slam on the drums compared to Slaughter to Prevail. Iā€™m using Tidal. I would say metal is good in these if its recorded good because its either the headphones or Tidal that makes the flaws stand out. Sometimes Iā€™ll have the drums almost distort and really throw off the vibe for a bit. Or it could be my Atom.

3 Likes

If all your going to do is EQ the hell out of it, might as well just buy some Bose or Beatsā€¦ :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: