šŸ”¶ GoldPlanar GL2000

Sorry to hear. Sounds like the driver just died on you. Because swapping the cable would produce sound from the other cup. Youā€™ll probably have to contact whoever you bought from.

Not really surprised, from whatā€™s been going around he wasnā€™t a big fan. I think heā€™s been so quiet for so long is because he probably wanted to give it a fair shake.

I like it in some points at the same time I donā€™t, the more I have compared it to say Sundara the less I appreciate this oneā€¦ initial impressions vs final impressions after all

2 Likes

I did mine at 115hz personal preference

1 Like

get the sundaras

2 Likes

I could get the Sundaras and a decent amp for the same price as the GL2Ks!

Not good to have more respected reviewers dog on these.

Itā€™s just very strange how some say these are the best things everā€¦and then others are like, meh, not worth more than 300. Ouch. Making me really regret my purchase and I havenā€™t even listened to them yet. I do think its shady/shitty that they changed the pads out from the original.

Could it be inconsistency in the sound quality depending on the set you receive. If so that is definitely not good. I mean DMS says vocals sound hollowā€¦seems like something more common for people to all hear in them. I would not like that sound either for sure.

2 Likes

Just goes to show you how subjective all this is. I like seeing other peopleā€™s opinions, but Iā€™ve definitely just gone to trusting my own ears and not worrying about much else.

7 Likes

Iā€™ll admit I had a small honeymoon phase of excitement at first during my impressions. Been a while since Iā€™ve listened to a good new planar. Taking my time with itā€¦ itā€™s definitely not a keeper for my own wall here but maybe some othersā€¦

Even though I havenā€™t wrote final impressions Iā€™d say itā€™s worth around $300-$400ā€¦ definitely not $600+ though least not in my opinion. Itā€™s definitely different. Iā€™ll probably post my thoughts this weekendā€¦

i think the main problem with the gl2k is the price not necessarily that they are bad. the sundaras are proven i would get those and a schiit asgard 3 and modious dac and blow your freaking mind. i use that combo with the aeon 2 and its god tier .

2 Likes

My Sundara have poor sub bass
They donā€™t really actually have sub bass
Guess it depends on library, how much that sucks

5 Likes

worse than the gl2k? do you feel the sundara has a more linear response and more defined mids and highs?

Oh my Sundara are only elclipsed by Senn 660s in that regard. I tend to get O.C.D on stuff that in practical real world use might not be as noticeable soā€¦

Hard not to rec Sundaraā€¦just that one point stuck with me. My review was very positive with that caveat and ghetto headband but my Arya had same ghettoness soā€¦meh. No big deal

I will eject myself from the thread because enough are out in the wild that the buyers will guide it in itā€™s win/loss record.
I love mine. But I already did a vid saying that and specifically why.

7 Likes

Welcome! Thereā€™s a thread for that

https://forum.hifiguides.com/t/buy-sell-and-looking-for-thread/6305/1089

Thank you!

Got my GL2000. Definitely first rate to me. No regrets here. Everyone hear things a bit differently and have different taste of music. Some of the recommended stuff from DMS and other ā€˜respected reviewersā€™ are just meh to me, of course some are great.
Vocals on the GL2000 is placed a bit further forward, which is just right for me. Some of the headphones DMS recommends have vocals that is in your face. I guess that is what he likes.

3 Likes

do you have any tubes to try them on? i highly recommend some tubes and some old school tracks to relax to.

So Iā€™ve spent a lot more time with these and after my honeymoon phase(donā€™t get me wrong I still love the soundstage, and dynamics on these, they really pump in a really energetic way on edm) I can understand why there are many mixed reviews on these.

For my personal taste(Iā€™m treble sensitive, and I like thick mids) the mids have a ā€˜mildā€™ issue where voices donā€™t sound quite present enough, and some harshness in the upper treble.
Iā€™ve found these issues most apparent on rap music for some reason, the hi hats sound like theyā€™re stabbing my ears sometimes haha, but on tracks that have a smoother mix like pop or indie music I donā€™t get the issue as much. I recommend adding some eq, what worked for my ears was a 2.5 db slope down from 0-150hz, a 3db peak filter around 3.5khz and then a downward slope from 10khz to 20khz around -12db. Iā€™m using this on Mimby/Jot2 and Modi 3+/Magni 3+.

FWIW I wouldnā€™t get the Sundara over these(I have both) because the big layered soundstage of the GL2000 is a big deal to me.

9 Likes

Interesting so many people hating on these. Did they buy Sundara stock? I like mine. Sorry that bothers you.

1 Like

I get the same thing honestlyā€¦ the treble has these weird uncomfortable spots of harshness that just kinda show up in my songs. I donā€™t like having to eq so bad part of the headphone imo. The mids sound present but not really in your face and are to the point of actually having some hollow or kind of a echo to them in some cases.

I personally appreciate the highs and mids more on sundara than I do on theseā€¦ but these have better bass, better layering, and the soundstage is done so much better.

1 Like