šŸ”¶ GoldPlanar GL2000

Jasonā€™s and Resolveā€™s EQ settings are pretty spot on.

1 Like

I havenā€™t heard any argons, but Sundaraā€™s soundstage is not even close. Run Dr Cheskyā€™s height test on both.

The stage is kinda big ish but the separation is awful on sundaras so it doesnā€™t really get used. And I feel like a broken record with this one but he6se v2 with a grill mod finds a way to blow my mind all over again every day. I had hd800s for a short amount of time and they didnā€™t impress me like the he6 does. Im taking my grills off my gl2k soon and theyā€™re most likely going to stay off.

4 Likes

I wanted the consensus if I wanted the Arya flavour of sound would this be the closest to delivering it?

1 Like

Taking the grills off sounds appealing to me, but it seems well beyond my skills. EntrancedVerminā€™s experience stops me for sure.

If you break your retaining ring Iā€™ll send you mine. Youā€™re insured now.

2 Likes

If you locate the little tab and just push it gently inwards by stabbing something behind it you can pry up at the same time under it pretty easily

Also I wouldnā€™t pull the driver apart that far.

1 Like

Ok thatā€™s good to hear! I can chill and stop wondering about the other possibilities for a large soundstage. I can live with these for now. Thanks

initial impression is holy shit.

15 Likes

I got the Brainwavz GEL Gaming Earpads - XL - Micro Suede with Memory Foam that were recommended and I already like the sound much better than both stock pads, with and without EQ.

Good looking out on this

3 Likes

somebody give me some crazy stage songs because this is it. i need more to test.

2 Likes

Will having nothing over the back of the driver cause damage to it in the long run? Regardless of the answer, the mod looks very cool!

1 Like

ZABA by Glass Animals is a very well recorded album. I donā€™t know if the stage is massive, but it should still be fun to listen to.

probably, but just like my modded he6se i put them in a cloth bag when iā€™m not using them to protect them from dust when iā€™m not using them. honestly iā€™m terrified of damaging them but my mind is currently being blown by how open and natural they sound and iā€™d do it all over again even if they broke or got a nasty buzz from a tiny bit of metal getting sucked into the driver.

3 Likes

Find yourself a quality recording of ā€œParce Mihi Domineā€
Can also try this here:

1 Like

ok so this breaks the EQ profiles, they donā€™t sound right anymore, but without EQ it sounds much more normal than it did before. still not all the way back to neutral but WAY closer. stage is motherfucking insanity. i genuinely didnā€™t expect this much of a change but i canā€™t stop smiling. itā€™s silly how good it is.

6 Likes

artist?
and virgo serena on tidal was astoundingly good like everything youā€™d want out of a theater in a horror movie church scene. the amount of bass feel you get with all this openness is really something to behold. it not longer feels like layering anymore either its just a flawlessly smooth transition between all depth.

1 Like

I have a version with Jan Gabarek (from the ā€œOfficiumā€ Album)

ZABA stages incredibly well in this newfound stage. really really well. iā€™m really liking this album.

1 Like

when the sax first starts in on Parce Mihi Domine there doesnā€™t seem to be an end to the depth it just seems to float off into the distance effortlessly. its a really good display of depth. i did an a/b with my he6se and the staging depth on them has a noticeable limit, but its really far out there, but the gl2k absolutely does not. the gl2k sounds much more natural than my my he6se with my normal EQ profile.

listened to it a few more times and did more a/b and i think the lack of perfect detail is why the gl2k is able to fade that outermost edge of soundstage into a seemingly endless abyss. the detail on the he6 is definitely giving the sax a very exact cutoff and i do think it sounds very good and well handled stage wise, but there is just something unreal about the gl2k now. before this mod i would have said the stage on the he6 with a grill mod was not only deeper but more effortless but now its a no contest and although its not a psychopath level of detail and imaging it feels so natural that i would absolutely never care.

a/b on tubes vs straight through on the a90 is very good. not sure which iā€™d pick yet.

also all of this is now with no EQ on the gl2k and i donā€™t really think it needs it much anymore.

ok now the squeaking hybrid pads are starting to get on my nerves but fuuuuuuuuuuck this is good.

6 Likes