šŸ”¶ GoldPlanar GL2000

Interesting but Iā€™d be worried about damaging it

ZABA is a great album and I love listening to it. Although, it is a shame the newer Glass Animals albums are not recorded nearly as well.

Surprisingly the Minecraft OST is recorded very well. I believe they have it on Tidal. ā€œMoog City 2ā€ and ā€œDroopy Likes Your Faceā€ are two tracks Iā€™m particularly fond of.

The Oneshot OST by Nightmargin is also very well recorded. The song ā€œItā€™s Time to Fight Crimeā€ has, I believe, a guitar making a circle around your head as someone goes mental on a drum kit. It should be pretty fun to listen to.

3 Likes

Switched to the Hybrid D pads since i was using stock for the last two weeks. They tone down the sibilant S and Tā€™s that are my only gripe with this headphone and make the overall sound airier. The only problem is, they sound flatter, maybe because the bass is weaker? I MUCH more prefer the stock leather pads for metal and rock. But the hybrid pads are also slightly better for acoustic and classical music. I think I will stick with the stock leather ones for now.

2 Likes

@ZeosPantera are you gonna get a second pair and pull the mesh garbage out or do I have to send you mine? Someone needs to confirm what Iā€™m hearing.

5 Likes

might be too early to call but SERIOUS gaming potential. placement is razor sharp in games now and i dont know why it sounds so natural in music but really laser focused in games but maybe the sound engine being that much more picky? either way theyā€™re really good now. they have an unreal ability to get out of their own way and dont have anywhere near that resonance they had before that could get in the way of footsteps. also their ability to have a pitch black background in different spots and isolate sounds really well is really impressive. i saw the potential before but it just wasnā€™t quite right and now its all where it should be. i dont even feel the need to eq between games and music.

2 Likes

Recommending such a modification that can lead to potential damage to a $600 headphone or potential damage down the road due to something such as dust definitely isnā€™t ideal for me personally nor others in my opinion.

How does this affect the bass, mids and highs?

Can you give us a step by step tutorial how to do it?

Is it reversible?

1 Like

Pokrogā€™s method makes the soundstage larger, and some of the medium-high frequency information that should be reflected back to the ear by the tuning paper radiates directly into space. :point_right:You get more low frequencies, less detail and a more natural soundstage. :point_left: And because losing part of reflected sound, I had to turn up the volume. I think the modified sound is not as good as the sound after EQ, which will weaken the advantages (separatation, resolution, graphic) of the original GL2000. The mod-sound is not an ā€œall-roundā€ solution for me, :rofl: thatā€™s why I put all things back.

For me, itā€™s better to eq like the picture above, the main idea is to :point_right:reduce 800Hz for about 3db and raise 3~8kHz a little to solve the problem of slur in mid-range. If there is harsh sound apearing in vocal, just try reducing 5~6Hz until feeling comfortable. :point_left:

4 Likes

Besides, itā€™s easy to disassemble all parts, but make sure to take out the magnet and membrane as a whole unit. (parts of the screws on the innermost ring must be left)

Do you have that EQ in text form? Iā€™ll try it when I get home from work.

What difference did the mod make?

Iā€˜ve tried the mod too. A looser natural soundstage, and a reduction in volume and detail at mid and high frequencies.

1 Like

Canā€™t save as text from roon, this is the picture of my latest eq settings. It makes mid (vocal) more clear, as you know one problem of gl2000 is that the vocal sound is like behind cloth. And this eq refers to HD800ā€™s curve, not harman target curve.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll say it makes them sound much more normal and in line with the average headphone tuning. I think the tuning paper that was glued to the back of the driver was restricting a LOT of air and was contributing most of that muffled almost ā€œmute on a trumpetā€ or natural tubeyness they had. They officially lost all that character they had before but for the most part itā€™s a win for me. If you are totally in love with the way they sound in stock form this mod is absolutely not for you, though. I wish I had another pair to a/b with because @Jason_ling is saying detail is down but it seems way up, but that might just be the more natural sound tricking my ears. It seems to have lost a lot of that compression sound they had. Itā€™s so weird how different they sound and if goldplanar would have sold them with this tuning sound instead of where they are normally, I think they would have hit a more average demographic instead of the fairly niche sound they ended up with.

1 Like

Vā€™s

Anyone see a trend with the above 2 hype trains? :smile:

4 Likes

Yes, we all saw it, but still hopped on it. Arya for $600 was too big a temptation.

My Dekoni Nuggets in today. Better seal and instant bass improvement.

I wonder why nobody comments on the size of GL2000. My head is quite big, and still on the smallest notch they sat loose.

4 Likes

Just got the Brainwavz SL suede pads you recommendedā€¦WOWā€¦HUGE difference from both stock pads!!! Thanks for the recommendation!

These headphones sound differently based on how they fit your head I think. Before I changed out the pads, I thought they were ā€œgoodā€ but not out of this world. I swapped both stock pads but small differences. Both stock pads were very uncomfortable to me and I could only keep the headphones on my head for a limited time.

BUT after swapping to these Brainwavz pads, the headphones are SPECTACULAR!!! and are very comfortable. Yes these are round and not oval, but the lip is large enough to fit. YMMV but if you are having comfort and/or sound ā€œissuesā€, give these a try.

3 Likes

I might give this a try. I have a super small head and Iā€™m just used to headphones being on the loose side on my head.

-sundara: loose
-gl2k: loose
-sony xm3: loose

Thanks man