šŸ”¶ GoldPlanar GL2000

Are they deeper than the original leather ones?
How do they affect the soundstage?

TO MEā€¦they ā€œenhanceā€ the soundstage. By deeper, Iā€™m assuming youā€™re talking about the bass??? ā€¦sameā€¦bass also seems to be ā€œenhancedā€. The whole experience seems to be much much better with these pads. Like I said before I think that because the headphones fit my head better with these padsā€¦maybe a better seal??

1 Like

Pretty sure he was talking about the measured pad depth, the room for your ears before they touch the driver cover. Would guess the brainwavz are not as deep as the stock ones.

Iā€™m sure about the stock pads, but via brainwavz website:

Ok, @hawaiibadboy I know you love the stock sound and probably donā€™t want to lose the way they are but I want to hear your opinion on the opened up gl2k. If you buy another pair and mod them and hate them Iā€™ll find someone to buy them off of you. I donā€™t have the expendable income to get a second pair of them or I would do it in a heartbeat. I need someone to confirm what im hearing cause im about to make some really bold claims with nothing to back them up because I canā€™t a/b test them. I know you donā€™t owe me a goddamn thing but God it would be nice to know an opinion other than my own.

2 Likes

Any chance of posting a detailed guide on how to do this safely with pics? Iā€™d try if I was able to not destroy my pair or easily revert it.

1 Like

They look stonking ENORMOUS. Done.

2 Likes

A 5xx would simply flop right off your head.

I meant the physical depth. My ears touch the inner side, and Iā€™d like something deeper.

Itā€™s a hard life being a narrow headed man

Just from looking at it, the two stock pads are thicker at the back and thinner towards the front because they are angled pads. The brainwavz are not angledā€¦brainwavz are about the same thickness as the ā€œfrontā€ of the stock pads (smaller).

2 Likes

Is there some other cloth material that could replace the default on the back of the driver so it still would be a little more protected but nearly as open as no material?

Also try connected from the Tetris Effect soundtrack once sounds prety wide to me too

1 Like

I feel like putting it on the back of the grill would be better. The driver having the airflow restriction without any throughput has got to be the issue with the odd tuning. I think putting something on the grill would let the driver function normally but just isolate the soundstage. I personally am never putting any of it back on. I donā€™t give a shit if I have to buy replacement drivers every 6 months, I will. The stage and depth is worth it TO ME. Not to mention the tuning is pretty much fixed with that tuning paper removed.
@rde01

2 Likes

maybe you can buy some tuning paper (or just using the original ones), and do different array of holes on them. thatā€™s a more scientific approach to reach a DIY ā€œperfectā€ sound. :joy: just enjoy your self! :heart:

I have not been following thread.
What exactly would you like me to do?
Iā€™ll oblige as long as itā€™s not nuts.

2 Likes

There are actually two layers of paper on the back. Itā€™s ok to remove one layer but still stay safe from dust. If you want more bass, you can try remove all of them. Itā€™s easy to disassemble, but make sure to take out the magnet and membrane as a whole unit.

(Unscrew the 6 screws outside firstly, take off the plastic cover, then remove the 5 same short screws only. Donā€™t remove any other screws I havenā€™t mentioned. Finally, itā€™s already loosened up, just take out the whole unit)

tips: Be gentle. Do not drop it. :smiley:

2 Likes

They are discussing removing the tuning papers :slightly_smiling_face:
There is a great change in the sound, I canā€™t say whether itā€™s good or bad, I personally like the original sound.

I didnt take all the filters off the cups, so just one off of each cup. Easy to do and easy to reverse as long as your unscrewing the right screws. The driver slips out when you turn it upside down and you can nudge it out from the other side. Since I only took out one filter, the driver is still protected from some dust with the other filter still on the driver itself.

Initial impressions, I didnt have an issue with the mids but with one filter off, they sound less veiled to me but creeps closer to sounding a tiny bit hot to my ears compared to stock. I would say these sound brighter and the mids still arenā€™t sweet but they sound more clear. The mids and vocals is where I notice the most change so far.

Do I like it? Iā€™ve been moving away from brighter cans so Stock might be more to my liking however its nice to have a different tuning if I wanted something brighter. Iā€™ll stick with this for now since iā€™m too lazy to pick up the screw driver right now to put the filters back in. Iā€™ll probably switch back to stock later to compare.

Might throw in beyerdynamic filters in there to hear what happens since they did well in my phantoms.

EDIT* Threw these on the tube amp and I like how mid forward these are now. Donā€™t know if iā€™ll keep them this way.

Edit** back to stock. I like stock better, itā€™s easier on my ears for long sessions.

3 Likes

do what now

4 Likes

hurt your precious gl2k like i did and pull the tuning paper and dust covers out. or get another pair and do awful things to that one. the stage was amazing before, dont get me wrong, but its insane what happens when they can breathe. they lose all their character immediately but become detail and stage monsters. and oddly enough iā€™m actually enjoying them with absolutely no eq. dolby gaming preset on them does some pretty crazy placement things in games, but apart from games they just stage so effortlessly its hurting my brain. they get kinda sibilant but i am really enjoying what iā€™m hearing. something something bigger stage than hd800s? most natural stoundstage iā€™ve ever heard.