šŸ”¶ GoldPlanar GL2000

oh i thought you meant for speakers. yeah it would have enough power for sure. the aeon has such low distortion i dont think pairing it with something like that would be a good match but maybe its distortion is super low but from what ive heard it can have a noise floor and such.

It can, but nothing noticeable once there music starts. Itā€™s not a great pairing with my 5XX, as it needs a bass boost(but then again, theyā€™re more my piano listening headphones)

if you have the 5xx i guess the gl2k isnt a horrible pairing. since the 5xx is kinda bright to me. and the gl2k isnt as much. idk i like pairing a planar with a dynamic . like ananda and zeus or focal

Iā€¦ might have a small wall of headphonesā€¦ Almost all being below $200 acquired over 2-3 yearsā€¦
K550 MKIII
HE-4XX
DT-990 Pro
Porta Pro X
Mu Space2
HE5XX
Dekoni Blue
M40x
And a pair of 99 Noir are on their way.
I couldnā€™t really say I find there Beyers to be excessively bright like what most people seem to think.

interesting so the gl2k would have been or is your highest end set.

Indeed. Probably the highest end audio equipment are probably my speakers being C93 ii and micros. Canā€™t say I havenā€™t thought about selling the 990 Pros(now that Iā€™ve modded to have a detachable cable and run balanced), XD-05, BL02, and M5. Will probably sell the TA-10 once Iā€™ve got a TA-20.

Thanks to this thread and others I am no longer considering buying the GL2000ā€™s. My attention has turned to LSA HP-1 or HP-2. I would prefer the HP-1 if I can stretch that far Ā£Ā£Ā£Ā£

Just did some A/Bs. I didnā€™t expect but GL beats my M1060C hands down. M1060C just sounds less detailed and more congested with less soundstage. More bass tho.
Comparison with Schiit (modius asgard) and 9038S. S actually isnā€™t completely destroyed, on more mainstream stuff they sound quite similar but on live and accoustic I get more stage, depth and more relaxed presentation. S is more like in your face with less widht and depth, a tiny bit more digital sound which I prefer on some songs

And another review. Just first impressions Ill be interested to see what he thinks after some time with them.

1 Like

Hello,
Have these for 2-3 weeks now. Using with SMSL M9 as DAC and for the AMP handmade 600 eur hybrid tube A class amp.
My impressions: They sound like nothing else I listened before. Moving from Sundaras, but tried other Hifimans as well. As all the headphones they cant fit all, but they are really good for reproducing instrument sound but due to this lacks a bit in vocals. Instruments sound very natural and real. I play electric guitar and when I listen to some songs it sounds so real or so close to what I hear when I play live. Tried the EQ provided by some fellows in this forums and what they do is separate more the vocals from the instruments - but I did not like it and I think these headphone are unique in this way providing more full sound, bringing the instruments closer to the singer - it creates a very interesting image. After I bought these I have started to look for bands and music that fits these headphones, because some tracks sound so amazing, you just cant stop listening. Worked best for me with these bands:
Tash Sultana
Coldplay
Muse
Tom Walker
Sam Smith
Buckethead
Glass Animals
Also I see that these are less dependent on equipment than Sundaras. When I switch Sundaras from M9 to tube - itā€™s a hudge difference, on GL2000 not so much, but like hybrid tube amplification more.
For me this headphone is staying for the long time, until I start a search for new expressions.
Hope my insights will help someone to make a right choose.

7 Likes

I did the mod. Left the outer mesh for protection, removed the tuning paper on the driver and between the mesh. Brainwavz Gel Pads.

Really enjoying these now. Vocals cleaned up nicely. More bass impact, No EQ except for 60Hz for a nice bass bump. No loss in soundstage or separation. If anything, itā€™s better.

1 Like

I dare not attempt the mod. What changes can I expect from pads swap alone?

Not enough from a pad swap alone.

Iā€™m not the handiest person in the world, and I was able to disassemble and put it back together pretty easily. Just take pictures of the screws to remember which ones go back to where they are supposed to.

Itā€™s easily reversible aside from the paper glued to the driver housing. Then again, that could be put back pretty easily as well.

Iā€™m probably going to by that dust-proof cloth posted above to stick on the grill, then Iā€™ll remove the tuning paper. Iā€™m very happy with these right now but I feel like they want to breath, even with EQ.

I did it as well. For my liking definitely better.
Yesterday, I took the 2 tuning papers off as well as the outer mesh. I listened and enjoyed.

Then I thought, pff might be dangerous, Iā€™ll put it all back in.

Then I listened to same song I was listening to, and thought, thatā€™s not right. Where is that crispyness gone?

Then I removed all again. There it was ā€¦

Now I wonder. How dangerous is this for the driver? Are you to be expecting troubles within half a year, a year?

How do you keep it clean the best? Could you like softly blow dust out with a hair dryer or would that just blow dust in?

All tips are welcome. I use this headphone a lot while working as well as I take it with me when I work at my friendā€™s place.

1 Like

I mustā€™ve missed that. What was that? Any link?

you can also check the he6se headphone thread. at the top, they have link to the dust protector cloth. seems like it does the job without impacting soundā€¦ so all good.

Ah yes,

Like this right?

https://www.amazon.com/Flushbay-Protective-Dustproof-Amplifier-50x160cm/dp/B088CT1DL4/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=dust+cloth+speaker&qid=1616232632&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExOEpNSkkwOUxaMTlUJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDExMzUxMUNCODRONTdUNEdDRCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUExMDMxNDQyMU5DNlFVQVBaSVAmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Thereā€™s plenty of headphones that are open enough for dust to collect on the driver. Gently blowing it out is just fine but always be careful. The biggest concern I would have is metal getting sucked in. You can leave that outermost piece of mesh in as protection and it doesnā€™t hurt the sound that much.

Cool, thanks!