šŸ”¶ GoldPlanar GL2000

Itā€™s in the works.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :star_struck: :heart_eyes: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :innocent: :blush: :hugs: :two_hearts: :two_hearts: :two_hearts:

Your review basically echos what Resolve and DMS said. So it is safe to say that at least 3 pairs have a very similar sound. Unit variation would not result in a TOTL sound unless it is specifically designed that way. $100 worth of materials simply cannot out-resolve something like a HFM Arya or LCD4. I agree with the conclusion that this is simply a case of different hearing.

But of course, there is still a chance that there is a gold gl2000 out there. Canā€™t for you to review @Pokrogā€™s unit

Meanwhile, you can still do a review of @ZeosPanteraā€™s sound demo :slight_smile:

I did the ā€œPokrog modā€ and boost bass with EQ. Significant difference. I would never put these back to stock. WaveTheory is pretty spot on with his review, but I too would like him to hear what Pokrog and I are hearing. A stock vs mod opinion.

Also Brainwavz XL Gaming Gel Pads. Tames the bass.

1 Like

Iā€™ll send him both so he can A/Bā€¦ that is of he wants that much shipping to deal with lol

pretty sure the GL2000 has a recess upper midrange and a pretty reserved treble, and that causes its tuning to be unique where some people like it or not. However, its worth noting that you can heavily EQ it to make it sound ā€œnormalā€ if you wish. Reminds me of when people talk about Audeze and needing EQ, kinda the same experience here. If you donā€™t want to EQ and donā€™t like default tuning, than probably hard to recommend

I have been wondering about this and how many reviewers actually tried to EQ them. People just seem to accept that Audeze need to be EQd and review based on what they are capable of with personal tuning. Donā€™t think that was the case in a lot of reviews of this. Iā€™ll be the first to agree that they sound (for my tastes) like ass out of the box, but I took my time figuring out how to tune them to my preferences and now theyā€™re the most enjoyable headphone Iā€™ve ever owned.

1 Like

exactly that. The headphone sounds fine with EQ, its just not mainstream and widely understood and accepted like audeze are

There is a kernel of truth here. I agree that Audeze has adopted the business model of leaving the last bit of tuning to EQ and that a segment of audiophilia has accepted that as their norm*. To some extent if they can do it then GoldPlanar should be allowed to as well. IME, Audeze headphones, when EQā€™d, go from already good or very good to excellent. Even in their stock tunings they are way ahead of GL2K. For Audeze the differences EQ makes are a bit more even FR and slightly tighter spatial performance. The resolution is already present. To my ear, the GL2K doesnā€™t have the same raw resolving power. I donā€™t think that gets fixed with EQ. Also Iā€™m quite sure Andrew from the Headphone Show did some EQ on GL2K (he EQs pretty much everything as standard practice) and still came away unimpressed. So, I would be with you if the GL2K was a headphone thatā€™s almost-but-not-quite-there like an LCD-X, but itā€™s not. I donā€™t think the comparison of Audeze-GoldPlanar is quite an apples-to-apples one.

*too early to tell but maybe Audeze is changing the business model back to having strong stock tunings. Iā€™m basing this off of the rumors circling about the 2021 revision of LCD-X. Weā€™ll see in time.

5 Likes

That paper they have glued to the driver would do the same to any headphone. Itā€™s like having your hand over your mouth when youā€™re talking. It just muffles it all and totally restricts the airflow in and out of the driver and just muddles the detail. I promise the detail is there with the mod lol. They definitely shot themselves in the foot with the stock tuning.

Itā€™s usually done for a reason, some of it is filtering, but in planars specifically itā€™s often there to damp the driver, by restricting the airflow it reduces the propensity of overly tensioned drivers from ringing.

Makes sense. They are pretty bright without it but just some felt behind the pads fixes that without destroying the sound. I havenā€™t really noticed ringing though so idk why they did it.

Agree. The hardware limitations wonā€™t be fixed by EQ.

1 Like

I donā€™t think itā€™s a good move to put something on the driver, my M1060C sounds best without anything covering anything, also I think hifiman doesnā€™t block their drivers because usually you can see them

Has anyone driven these on the Zen Can?

What are your thoughts?

1 Like

I like the Zen Dac better if that tells you anything. The Zen Can paired with Zen Dac, the bass became soft and details overly smoothed in my experience

2 Likes

So the new review of Andrew about GL1200 was surprisingly positive, given the fact that GL2000ā€™s are also ā€œdifferentā€ with similar big soundstage but 2-3 times cheaper. Maybe the imaging of GL1200 was better, maybe thatā€™s why?

The timbre and dynamics sounded off to @ResolveReviews

The GL2000 was fairly hazy/grainy in the mids. Even after EQ I donā€™t think itā€™s worth it really. The GL1200 also isnā€™t that competitive for detail, but its spatial characteristics make it interesting enough. I still wouldnā€™t recommend it without EQ though, the tuning is pretty weird.

3 Likes

I totally agree, I like only the soundstage of my GL2000. So the GL1200 is actually an improvement, nice!
I was wondering if the grand soundstage of these egg(brick)-shaped headphones can be achieved with dynamic drivers, to add a stronger punch as well. It would be an insane combination I guess.

1 Like