Goober's Journey Into the IEM Game or "Why Are You Not As Good As....?"

Have you gotten the MEXT around to mess with @GooberBM?

1 Like

No sir. I’ve only heard Mest Mk II

1 Like

Ooh, I hope you get the chance to try it out someday or even the Clairvoyance. Though hopefully they fit your ears well lol

I know that well. I was just joking. I thought it would have been obvious with the wink.

Does anyone know if the CCA Polaris is just the Castor Black/Bass repackaged?

I am still waiting for the Castor, but spotted the Polaris and Wasabi just posted a video on it.

1 Like

I though the two sounded very different i have both but didn’t really do a a/b

1 Like

I should have guessed you would have it. They are very different, at least below 1k, that said both look pretty good for the price. The sub-bass seems a bit thin.

I would hold off on the Polaris The Rhapsody is better but you know KZ next week something new.

I gave some feedback to Tyvan tonight told him to tune a iem this way and he was listening. Fingers crossed.

3 Likes

Thanks, but I am probably good. Actually I am think it is time for a push to go upscale for me. I am thinking about the FATfreq Maestro Mini. The last big spend for me was the Tea MKII.

4 Likes

Let’s gooooo John! The Maestro Minis will knock you back into your seat with their bass response. I reckon you’ll really enjoy them!

1 Like

DTE900 I love that set

2 Likes

Man, that’s one of those sets I still want to try one day on the 11 setting. I’ve just never been a fan of toggles on IEMs - The SR7 looks like it would be more up my alley looking at your graph of it as we speak.

1 Like

It’s a fantastic set, but from what I’ve gathered of your preference, it may be a bit too v-shaped for you? But I can’t deny how resolving, whilst fun it is. Hope you get to try it one day! I’m super sad I had long term fit issues with it, ruining the set for me…

Edit: Speaking of the DTE900

The best IEM I have tried. Given, that’s not saying too much😅

3 Likes

You answered my question with your edit, thank you lol I can enjoy all flavors as long as they’re done well tbh :wink: The DTE looks like it can be a very engaging set, bordering on shouty for my HRTF but I’m always down to try something new. There have been a few times where I’ve looked at a graph of an IEM and been put off, but then when actually listening, it comes off a whole hell of a lot differently.

The SR7 looks to be fairly mid-centric in the UU position for the switches with a healthy bass boost. I know what you mean in terms of the fit issues, dude. The OG Dark Magicians are amazing IEMs but they are probably one of the strangest IEMs to fit I’ve tried up to this point, almost completely making them un-usable. It stinks!

4 Likes

Realized quickly I should probably specify what set I was referring to :sweat_smile:
It’s definitely engaging and as you said, borderline too forward for my HRTF as well. Any less bass an it would be too bright. Without that forwardness it would probably not have the same resolution and detail, though.

I would love to try the SR7 one day! Sound Rhyme is 2/2 with me now in overall satisfaction for the money I spent. Also helps that I’m a sucker for creating my own custom design, and their support is top notch there. Flawless quality on the resin. I might one day get MMK3, but right now Sound Rhyme made me rethink ever spending 1000+ on an IEM

3 Likes

I have a couple of quick hitting thoughts, because we’re in Black Friday and I don’t have time to do full write-ups at the moment.

ARTTI T10

The planar brother of the R1 - 3DD set - I thought I’d try the T10 since I could get my hands on it readily.

Overall, it’s fine. It’s got small form factor in the ear and enough bass to balance the upper end energy, but it is a sibilance risk. If you know you’re sensitive there it’s a no-go. It’s an inexpensive planar ($55 on Amazon for Black Friday). I can let that go easy enough.

Muse Hifi The East 6

At $70 on Amazon (with 15% coupon), this is an EA500 response:

The Black filter is preferable to me over red. Sounds good, and is well tuned (picking up tips from what people don’t like about Simgot tuning), but this set is a no for one particular reason.

They got too cute with the shell. The shape and fit suck, IMO. Just on that, I wouldn’t recommend these.

ZIIGAAT Cinno

Of the sets I tried out, this is the winner:

The OG Dark Magician graph is really just to show what family of sound this is in. It’s not the DM, don’t get excited. The second comparison is the one that matters. There are people out there that couldn’t like Penon Fan 2, generally for 1 (or more) of 4 reasons:

• They felt it didn’t have enough sub-bass for their taste
  • They felt the mid-treble cut at 6k was too severe and hurt details
  • The fit was untenable
  • They generally are dismissive of Penon for reasons (such as the over-the-top shilling and business model of Penon)

ZIIGAAT Cinno is the answer to all four of those criticisms. It has more sub-bass, airier treble, a clean EDC fit, and no Penon affiliation. And it’s $79 during Black Friday sales on Amazon. This is the pick.

EDIT: Oh I forgot

Kiwi Ears Melody

This could’ve been a very nice IEM:

A little more midbass heft than usual is a plus, more gradual pinna gain, and less rise in the mid-treble are all positives that do something different in planar tuning.

Then they fucked up 10k and beyond. The treble is awful for me: It’s grainy and hazy because it’s over cooked and what they wanted in extension is just a blanket of artificial details. Hard freaking pass for me!

13 Likes

This is the girl……

Might wanna get her flowers or a Starbucks gift card or something… :man_shrugging:t5:

God damn do I want the Cinno… that graph looks glorious.

3 Likes

Rare for a a planar to graph with that much bass. Which also kinda explains the upper-treble gain.

1 Like