Good amp for efficient headphones?

I would never hook the iFi to the Violectric, but I get what Lost33 was saying and it is just common sense.

1 Like

Well, two months later and I am sick of looking. I have always been a big research guy. Whenever I go into a store to buy something I usually know more about the product than the sales person.

But I give up. I have spent two months cycling between products I couldn’t possibly afford and dealing with small builders who take DAYS/WEEKS to answer all your questions, no matter how simple.

I decided to go back to Little Dot. I ordered a Little Dot MK9 last night from Shenzhen Audio. Hopefully it handles efficient headphones as well as the MKIII did and sounds even better. I ended up coming in well under budget at $489.00US.
Hopefully I am looking at about three weeks to receive.
Hope it’s a nice match for most of my headphones and finds a niche with the other amps.

1 Like

Hello,
and congratulations.
I think you will regret it.
Even the good 6080 tubes are not affordable and the tendency is for them to decline and disappear from the market.
You would honestly have been better off having something built, even if it had cost a bit more, it would be worth going for something more modern.
I think the power values are quite low for the Mk 9, the 1+ pushes almost 1 watt at 32 ohms.
I think it will be enough but it will be missing a few points.

But it was your decision, so it’s okay. You’ve had a lot of patience with it now.
Hope you will still like it and enjoy it :wink:

I hope I like it. I think The power is fine as the headphones are very efficient and I am a quiet listener. It just comes down to the sound and if I like it.

I am sick to death of waiting days to weeks for replies. And I am not going to break the bank. I love the amps that I have now and just want something a little tubey for fun. Hopefully it fills the bill.

2 Likes

Yes, that’s understandable.
I’m sorry I didn’t know that, as so often it always hits the wrong people.
I hope you get better soon and it’s nothing serious.:wink:

If you don’t like the 6080 rca try a Sylvania which is the closest to the Mullard.
There is another dealer in Canada who is not bad.

You can also go for 6As7G but there are only 2 manufacturers and I don’t know how well they react on the Littel Dot.
On the Feliks Euforia they liked to mask the details, but that was because of the condenser itself that was installed.
When I had it rebuilt it was much better afterwards.
A 6080 GE might be a bit too superficial, but it’s not bad either.
It’s a bit slow, but otherwise plays smooth and deep.
These are the cheap ones where you can try without breaking the bank.
It’s all a matter of taste at the end of the day.

I think that right off the bat I will be looking at 6AS7’s and 6SL7’s. There seems to be good availability on both types, without breaking the bank.

Whenever I looked at amps, I checked the supply out on “top ten” tube sites. Especially Russian tubes. I might load up in the next few weeks as the stocks will get lower and prices will get higher.

2 Likes