Good audio reviewers and ones to stay far far away from

If these are like a budget legend L series I bet these could be pretty nice

I really enjoyed listening to this little audio chat. Get to hear a little about their audio journeys. Cool to see how they reacted to reaching new audio milestones (open-back, speakers, vintage, etc.).

This guy’s opinion I respect more than Steve G, Zeos, Josh and a pretty much everyone else. Thomas and Stereo is a close second for me.

1 Like

I’ve enjoyed this guys videos lately. He comes at a very gaming oriented focus, but does give his opinions on the music & entertainment performance of cans. Maybe stares at the graphs little too much for my liking, but overall good content.

1 Like

Is Polk big outside of the car stereo scene? They were everywhere when i was looking for car stereos

Here are just some articles that I find to be quite powerful and true:

Jason just going at it and speaking the truth. I personally do not follow the Schiit Happened series, but I found this article to be quite accurate.

This is another article that I have been encouraging others to read (it’s from 2012, props to @Rikudou_Goku for bringing it up!) :

6 Likes

Yup, both are great articles.

1 Like

I have never seen this before. And now… I’m hooked!

The reviewer I pay closest attention is Crinacle. I find his reviews pretty reliable and there is a good balance between objectivity and sharing his listening experiences. And he recognizes that tuning is a matter of preference. I would love to see him do more videos as the three on his youtube channel are excellent.

3 Likes

Marcello needs some love around here as well! Dude goes HAM on his reviews especially with the photo shots and B roll.

9 Likes

Thanks for that, my presonus actually just died, that channel will become handy

1 Like

^^^ x2 top guy :+1:

3 Likes

Just saw this video about the Final A series IEM

Looks like she just started out reviewing audio products. From this video, I think she’s a promising one. I really like her way of presentation and comprehensive review, although I don’t know how accurate they are since I don’t own any of the Final IEM. Really interested to see how she goes in the future. Check it out if you have time

5 Likes

Is it industry standard sound engineers mix with neutral headphones and monitors, what amps do they use to hear their mix ?

Wanted to share this fine quote from Alan Parsons:
“Audiophiles don’t use their equipment to listen to your music. Audiophiles use your music to listen to their equipment.”

I know this is true for some, and it is completely fine (though not how the artist wants his art to be “consumed”).

Which one are you?

3 Likes

Suppose for the most part the artist dont really care what gear the consumer uses for playback. " dont matter what you call me, long as you call me." If you peek over at a website like steve hoffman the sound mixer Is the artist. Over there, the forum is filled with threads on which album version is the best engineered from a popular artist.

steve guttenberg has said on his channel, hes got a background in the music industry working for a recording studio chesky records, the owner is a musician sound mixer and “audiophile”, steve worked sales of home audio and now reviews gear and music. So when it comes to “audiophile” or well recorded music, he might be a guy to help find reference material to get the most performace out of your system. He himself does not look down on popular music. But thinks what most think is a “audiophile record” is not well recorded music. Sounds fair.

You can say it this way, the artist sees audio gear as an appliance and not as an instrument. Does the gear matter to the artist, no. does the artist matter to the audiophile,yes. otherwise we will all be recording farts to playback on our systems.

2 Likes

HA! That’s a good one! I use the equipment to listen to the music, definitely. That said, it’s fun to play with said equipment and acquire the best stuff you can.

1 Like

Me too.

But I think that there are also a lot of people who use the music to listen to their equipment. While I have nothing against them, it kind of feels as though the music is less important in that case, while in theory, the audiophile hobby should be all about music.

2 Likes

Agreed. You have to admit though, some of this gear is pretty bitchin’, aint it? LOL! I will never really get to get too high up the chain in terms of high end gear, and that is a bummer. I believe someone once said “A man’s got to know his limitations”. And I do. But I 'm havin fun with what I have, and look forward to more.

Besides, HiFi isn’t all there is. I have motorcycles to feed… :sunglasses:

1 Like

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
What a better combination than motorcycle and audiophile passions?

3 Likes