Good audio reviewers and ones to stay far far away from

Nah buddy folks have deleted posts… @Eric_Rosenfield was referring to Passion for Sound…I moved over a thread from the 7hz Timeless thread as it got a bit reviewer skewed :face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like

Copy that. I was scratching my head there for a minute! Thanks for clearing that up.

2 Likes

Yeah i did delete my joke!

1 Like

Currawong just posted a sponsored “review” of the Headamp GS-X Mini, sponsored by Headamp. And he says in the beginning of the video “this may seem like a conflict of interest”. Yes, yes it does.

Sorry man, if someone’s paying you to review something, it’s not a review it’s an advertisement.

2 Likes

Most “top” reviewers have access to “samples” like Resolve and Headphones.com etc…this’s not unusual…as long as they make that transparent then it’s cool.

2 Likes

I really feel like there’s a difference between getting a review copy from a manufacturer and the manufacturer paying for the review. Review copies are common for reviewers of all kinds and traditional in media. Being paid for a review is just making an ad for them.

9 Likes

I have to agree here. Kinda takes the objectivity out of it, IMO.

“He speaks the language of a warrior
He mounts his misinformed attack
He wears the clothes of a dissenter
But there’s a logo on his back…”

Just sayin!

1 Like

I think it’s fair as long as he’s disclosing it at the beginning. Currawong is pretty fair / solid reviewer most of the time and doesn’t go way overboard on the hyperbole or poetry that someone like Z does sometime. I do agree that the funding mechanism places a bias upon the review but if you know that at the onset of the review you can parse the straight forward takes from the color’d takes.

2 Likes

I’d agree, assuming they have to send the gear back. If they get to keep it afterwords that’s just the same in my eyes

1 Like

Just some general remark about reviewers: Almost all of them compare product A to something in the same price bracket. Often there is some chifi product that blows away expensive western products by a country mile while being 70% cheaper. They never have the balls to mention that fact. This is so retarded and it make me rage hard like Frankie Goes to Hollywood.

4 Likes

Burson, Maggies, Arc, Hegel are all brands i can think of that compete or outperform their chifi counterparts.

Schiit and audeze are in the game as well along with focal and abyss.

I’m not anti chifi but it has a place. Currently looking real hard at the cayin ha300 Mk2 vs the feliks envy

Don’t think Ampify Audio Show has been mentioned before:

Seems to be very much into summit fi but has a smattering of more affordable gear reviews, as well. I’m finding he does a very competent, nuanced job.

2 Likes

Spot on. You nailed it, @Eric_Rosenfield.

2 Likes

A big difference!

I consider myself an independent reviewer since I have no platform (website, social media, YT channel, etc.) and have no financial benefit from writing my articles. However, I do receive “review samples” from the manufacturer, and I usually write a clear disclaimer stating that.

I personally have nothing against paid reviews, as long as it is mentioned somewhere. It’s like having an online salesman.

What I hate is when someone is sponsored and isn’t stating that! It’s also very annoying when big youtubers are receiving samples of more expensive products and they don’t mention it.

2 Likes

Sandu bringing the heat on this one

For me it is indeed questionable whether this guy ever had one of these headphones on his ears :question: :question: :question:

3 Likes

OMG this guy, if he’d played it right he could ride the comedy train like a boss. But now it’s just embarrassing.

I literally cannot tell if this is just a troll account or not. I’m going to assume it is.

2 Likes

I like iiWi Reviews

3 Likes