šŸ”¶ Grado Ltd Edition Hemp

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Iā€™d only be connecting the Hemps to my S20 Ultra when lazy as well. Just wanted to make sure I get a decent USB C to 3.5mm adapter.

Hope to receive my Hemps sometime this week! These are my first headphones and have no idea what to expect. Glad I stumbled upon this great forum!

The xduoo link2 dac ($100) or the XP-2 pro ($140) are good choices. I would go for the XP-2 pro since it can also handle harder to drive stuff if you ever need it to, it has bluetooth so it doesnā€™t NEED to be wired to your phone (but it can be), and I personally like a real volume knob more than digital buttons.

Thanks for sharing!

In case you havenā€™t read through the entire thread I would just like to warm you that if you are not used to on-ears the Hemps will take some time to get used to the comfort. The pads need some use to break in and your ears will also need to kind of break in as well. Iā€™m at the point where I can wear mine for around 3 hours straight pretty easy but Iā€™m less sensitive to on-ears than most.

In my opinion the Hemps are more than worth it with how they sound, especially with classic rock and acoustic stuff, Queen in particular.

Yeah they take some getting used to. I would agree that they arent great for using on the go since the cable is long, THICC, and relatively heavy. Still love em though.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got a lot of time and donā€™t got anywhere to go.

THICC=THICK?

Yeah thicc is just thick. Sounds like you shouldnā€™t have a problem then lmao.

1 Like

tbh i could possibly buy these instead of the 225es if I save a bit more money than I expectedā€¦ being able to get the hemps might give a slightly better bass and treble than the already great sounding SR80s

The bass is definitely better on the Hemps, but the treble is a bit less bright than the SR80e. The Hemps are a thicker and lusher sound. While I havenā€™t personally heard them, I think the SR325e might be a better bet if you want to aim higher. Basically the same kind of tuning as the other SR models. If you can try the Hemps and SR325e that would obviously be best.

The Hemps are great, donā€™t get me wrong, but they are a bit deviant from the rest if the Grado line (as far as I understand it).

1 Like

i only heard the SR80e and a RS2eā€¦ they both sounded very similar but the RS2 had a bit better feeling to them (my dad was saying they seemed more comfortable), so i was wondering about going with the 225e since that seems the one big upgrade from the 80 that would be a good in-betweenā€¦ and i heard a sound sample of the hemps from dankpods (not a professional test but i did get a bit of a reference but they did sound better than the SR60 demo and i liked the hemps in comparisons to the 600s which were similar to my 58x with some small tweaks)

i just know i really liked the sound of the SR80 with a dragonfly red or ifi hipdac (the 2 dacs iā€™ve been thinking of as they are right around my budget). and i feel i might as well go with the higher priced option if i have the chance so i can get a good upgrade

If you give me a few of your favorite songs and a quick explanation of what you are looking for in each song I could compare my Hemps and SR80e.

Itā€™s been a while since I gushed about these, so FUUUUUUUUUUCK THESE SOUND SO GOOOOOOOOOOD!!!

These are hands down the best way to listen to Black Sabbath Iā€™ve ever heard. They are so lush and clear that the entire self tilted album is just a constant ear-gasm. I genuinely like the Hemps for Black Sabbath even more than my Lawton modded X00s.

Just make sure you listen to the remasters from around 2014. They did a great job. I also just saw there are 2022/2021 remaster for some of the songs from Vol. 4 to try. Today is a good day for me.

4 Likes

I just thought of the perfect analogy. The hemps sound like suede feels. Itā€™s not actually perfectly smooth. There is texture and a roughness to it, but damn itā€™s just so soft and nice.

Also the 2020/2021 remaster are good, but Iā€™m not sure if they are really any different than the 2014 remasters for Vol. 4. I guess Iā€™ll have to listen more :).

Edit: Regardless of the remaster, I really love Changes.

3 Likes

Yeah the Hemps are amazing for any kind of rock/metal. My favorite genre though was Industrial, the Hemps were amazing for industrial. I listened to Stabbing Westward more than I have in years when I had the hemps and now that I sold them I cant listen to anymore, its just not as good lol. Tempted to buy a Hemp again as they are really fun cans.

1 Like

What ever possessed you to sell them?

Man these are still one of te ones that I never got but wished I did. Specially since they are at a not crazy expensive headphones. And Iā€™ve never seen anyone sell these used lol so people seem to really keep em. Sadly with the current gear I have itā€™s a bit hard to find a spot for them :frowning:

Why not get them? Iā€™m pretty sure they are still available. You might even be able to get a detachable cable mod if you get it from moon audio.

1 Like

Iā€™m intrigued by the hemps and hope ttry them out as well!

Again, why not get them? If you think you wonā€™t like them and then not be able to return them, you should be able to sell them pretty easily since they are a limited edition and are going to be discontinued soon.

If you love classic rock/metal these are the best Iā€™ve heard, even when compared to my Lawton modded X00s. Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, CCR, AC/DC, Queen, Yes, Rush, Jimi Hendrix, Aerosmith, all sound phenomenal. Stuff like funk, jazz, and orchestral also sound great. Pretty much everything other than extremely heavy music (think EDM or Doom 2016) sound great. It can still manage with that kind of heavy music, itā€™s just not as good as something like a TR-X00.

I would get this, but itā€™s hard to justify considering that they dotn seem to fit anywhere in my gear atm. Between the Tia trio as closed back (Iem), Nighthawks as open backs-ish and my speakers as speakers obviously. It just dosent feel like I have any use for them since most bases are covered. Warm, brighter, fast paced, dynamic. It all just seems to be covered pretty well to where I canā€™t imagine they would fit anywhere in my collection