Grado RS2e and PS500e VS Hemps

Edit: I’ve decided I don’t want to risk the money on the fairly controversial RS1e, but am still interested in the PS500e and maybe the RS2e.

I’ve been thinking about getting the Grado RS1e recently but I’ve seen opinions ranging from “worst Grados ever” to “among the best Grados ever”. Can anyone here chime in?

Also Im interested in the PS500e so any thoughts or comparisons with that would be appreciated.

I have the Hemps so any comparison to that would be most helpful.

Thanks for any help.

Simply following the thread as I want to know too. But I’d go for RS1 button or RS1i, then RS2i or RS2e and M pro e. No particularly reason other than the RS1e seems to be controversial.

I have the PS500 non e though, it’s like Grado but take away the energy from treble and put it in the bass and I’d suspect the PS500e is similar but has improved technically such as soundstage, details, a bit more bass like all the e revisions do.

And RS1e would stay true to the Grado sound in terms of brightness. What Grado do you already have?

1 Like

Edited with more response

I have the Hemps and love them.

I don’t really want the RS2e since I feel it won’t really be any better than the Hemps, just a different tuning (that I can already kind of get with L-cush pads on the Hemps).

That’s why I’m curious about the RS1e since it is the top of the line Grado under $1000 and uses the 50mm driver.

I ask about the PS500e since it would round out my Grado collection (1 plastic, 1 wood, 1 metal) and seems like another uniquely tuned Grado having more bass and less treble. But I’m kind of afraid it would sound to similar to the Hemps.

I might just get the RS1e and if I hate it deal with the kind of weird return policy that 4ourears has and exchange it for the PS500e.

1 Like

Which plastic do you have? And I agree I think the PS500e would sound more similar to the Hemp than the RS1e. However I’ve tried the 50mm drivers on the GS1000e and I much much prefer the smaller ones. Maybe that’s why the RS1e is so divided especially bc in the last it never used a 50mm driver. The PS500e is wood + metal tho, for a truly more “metal”ish, colder sound you might want to get the 325e instead. The PS500e is still warm sounding, at least to my ears.

And personally, I’d skip the RS1e, get all the 40mm ones if you can then jump straight to PS2000e and GS3000e

That’s kind of what I’m thinking. But I don’t really need any other plastic models since I have the SR80e and don’t want that but better for more money (I like them because they are cheap and sound great). I’m not to interested in the SR325 since they are probably a bit too bright. Then I might not need the RS2e or PS500e since they might be a bit redundant already having the Hemps.

I think I should wait for things to be opened up more and find a place to audition the RS2e, PS500e, RS1e, and GS3000e. The Hemps really feel like they are the only Grado you really NEED if you grab a set of L-cush pads to compliment the F-cush pads.

After listening to almost all of the GRADO models, these are my three candidates that I ultimately decided on.

I honestly have to say that the exorbitant surcharge for the GS3000 compared to the RS2e and the Hemp is not even remotely justified :blush: :wink: .

The tonal difference is marginal, insofar as the heights are a little more velvety, the spatiality / airiness is a bit more pronounced, this gives you a little more detailed presentation, so it has more substance in these areas.

Instead, the bass basis is noticeably more structured with the other two GRADO’s and with a little more UMPFF.

In addition, the wearing comfort of the GS series is noticeably more limited on longer periods of listening.

(I see the GS300 more as a collector’s item :money_mouth_face:

I would describe the GS2e as a bit more musical and relaxed compared to the Hemp.
I love these headphones :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: and, compared to the other two, spend most of the listening time with these headphones because they are completely relaxed :heavy_heart_exclamation:

The Hemp is my Rock’N Roller :metal:, he actually grabs me emotionally the most of the three.

For example:

The Beatles (curiously, I like them very much … on the stereo system), actually inaudible on the headphones because they are extremely penetrating.

The Hemp manages to get my butt up and dance through the apartment :man_dancing:, because he is able to bring the Beatles over on the headphones extremely “lifelike” :+1:.

To be honest, I think that these Hemp headphones would be extremely interesting for @hawaiibadboy and a large part of his playlist, as they harmonize wonderfully with music from the 60s, 70s and 80s and present them really emotionally.

The RS1e, on the other hand, was tonally a bit too bright for my taste and therefore a touch too peaky.
This was therefore not suitable for long-term use for me.

But this can certainly be very different for you in terms of sound.
In each case you should convince yourself of this by listening to it on your own :ear: .

4 Likes

Never tried a Grado before…maybe Hemp for me?
I like hemp…I’m all about nature :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You like Bob Marley and he liked hemp too…so probably good to go :+1:

1 Like

AMEN brother :raised_hands:

3 Likes

So do you find the RS2e to sound sufficiently different from the Hemps even while using the same pads?

Also, would you be able to compare the RS2e with L-cush pads to the Hemps with L-cush pads? That’s the thing that is really stopping me from trying the RS2e. I’m afraid they will sound to similar to the Hemps with L-cush pads.

Also one last question. Is the sub-bass as abysmal on the RS1e as it looks in graphs or is it not really any worse than the RS2e or Hemps with L-cush pads?

So I think I can cross the RS1e off my list. From what info I can find on it, the sub-bass seems to be kind of bad, like, bad even for a Grado. Many Grado lovers have said some less than kind things about the rest of the sound as well, so I don’t think I want to take that chance for $700.

I’m still interested in the PS500e and maybe the RS2e, so I would still like to hear some comparisons to the Hemps if possible.

I have both PS500e and RS2e arriving lol. Will update with you how I find them

1 Like

So both are here (also failed to pull the trigger for the Hemp) – impressions based on Marantz HD-DAC1 as DAC and Grado RA1 amp

• RS2e is slightly brighter, is a tad more sibilant
  • PS500e has more forward mid
  • PS500e is ‘thicker’ sounding whereas RS2e has a leaner sound
  • PS500e is more engaging, hits harder whereas RS2e is a bit shy, more laid back
  • PS500e is slightly bassier
  • Overall the two are more similar than different, sound almost like the same driver with different tunings, whereas other models such as GH2, SR325e, PS500 sound a lot more different
  • Personally I enjoy the PS500e a tad more as it’s more fun
2 Likes

I guess I’ll get the PS500e if/when I get another Grado. Thanks for the impressions.

No problem! May I suggest looking at something like the GH2 (or possibly GH4/GH1 but I haven’t heard myself)? That would be a step up from RS2e/PS500e/Hemp and getting closer to the RS1e. Personally I feel the GH2 has a more unique sound justifying keeping it than either RS2e and PS500e.

1 Like

Maybe, but I’m not the biggest fan of hunting things down on the used market. Though I must say I do like the look of that cocobolo.

Out of the 3, which one would you guys recommend for jazz and old pop for a young person with no hearing loss?

I don’t think there is a Grado that is bad for jazz, it’s kind of one of their strongest genres.

Also can you give an example of old pop?

2 Likes

Agree with @A_COC0NUT that no Grado will be bad for jazz. I don’t have the hemp, but if by old pop you refer to vocals, I’d pick PS500e over RS2e

1 Like