šŸ”¶ Grado SR60e / SR80e

I dunno if Iā€™m ready for that

@duke86fan Can also do the Beyer

@A_COC0NUT have you tried this, Iā€™m pleasantly surprised

2 Likes

I have, but it only works on the vinyl headband since the stock leather ones are too wide. I also already put that accessory house headband on my SR80e.

No no the G cushions

1 Like

Geekriaā€™s options are plenty and confusing to me :stuck_out_tongue:. You mentioned you tried the ones I linked, but they are different than the ones I saw you linked earlier.

You linked these:
EJZ-0047-01: https://www.amazon.nl/Oorkussens-Hoofdtelefoon-Vervanging-Oordekking-Onderdelen/dp/B00TGCDHL2/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_nl_NL=ƅMĆ…Å½Ć•Ć‘&dchild=1&keywords=EJZ-0047-01&qid=1612016786&sr=8-1

I linked these:
EJZ-0047-03: https://www.amazon.nl/Vervanging-Koptelefoon-Vervangende-Oordopjes-Onderdelen/dp/B0155XZJ4I/ref=sr_1_4?__mk_nl_NL=ƅMĆ…Å½Ć•Ć‘&dchild=1&keywords=geekria+grado&qid=1612016757&sr=8-4

Have you tried both and do you have a preference? If not Iā€™ll probably get the one you linked. The difference seems to be in the shape of the inner hole`, which is an over in one and a circle in the other.

Iā€™m planning to also get these to try out:
EJZ-0047-04: https://www.amazon.nl/Oordopje-Vervanging-Vervangende-Oordopjes-Reparatieonderdelen/dp/B0155XZLUU/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
Which are different knock-off G-cush than the ones I linked in my first post.

Thanks!

If you canā€™t get the earzonk L-cush pads, those EJZ-0047-03 are a good alternative. They sound good (just not quite as good as the earzonk imo) and are fairly comfortable as well. Sound signature wise these pads are more like the original SR80e sound.

The EJZ-0043-01 are a more bassy and slightly less trebley sound. I really like them for more relaxed listening.

You may as well get all 3 since it only totals $30.

1 Like

Awesome thanks! Earzonk is not an alternative where I live. Iā€™ve found a good deal on a sr60e I think (ā‚¬70, they are ā‚¬119 new), I can pick it up next Saturday. I think Iā€™ll wait with the EJZ-0043-01 a while since I have a HE400i which I bought just recently that is great for relaxed listening. Might just get the 03 now and then get the 01 and 04 when I feel like pad rolling later on.

1 Like

Anyone gonna tell @ZeosPantera that Yaxi makes purple pads for Grados?

Already got them. Honestly not as soft as the stock GW100 padsā€¦ AND Grado 1000 pads on all the things.

2 Likes

Theyā€™re good, but like Z said, they are not as soft as stock S-cush and donā€™t sound any better. I much prefer the earzonk L-cush pads.

I do want to get some G-cush pads and see how they sound.

1 Like

Just bought the geekria G-cush pads. Hope theyā€™re worth it.

Just got the EJZ-0047-03 on my SR60e. I like what it doest to the sound, but my ears are touching stuff I feel like they shouldnā€™t. Should I be worried about my ears touching the white mesh in front of the drivers?

Other than maybe the mesh getting a bit dirty over time, not really. Although that sounds like you have the driver sitting pretty far back relative to your ear. I donā€™t have my geekria G-cush pads yet so they may be different, but I find Grados sound best with the driver more towards the front of the ear.

1 Like

In the spirit of learning about audio and being able to put what I hear into words, I have spent a bit of time trying out the SR60e and comparing them to the HE400i (a comparison absolutely no body probably asked for).

I made some comparisons on a couple of songs I listened to:

Vincent - Don Mclean:

Summary

This song is so calming and sweet on the HE400i, itā€™s really soothing. Going to the SR60e the definition on the guitar strings comes alive, but the singing sounds like itā€™s being played back instead of Don standing somewhere in the room singing to me. Some things that go almost unnoticed on the HE400i now suddenly draw attention though, like the accordion in the background.

The show must go on - Queen

Summary

I love the drums on the HE400i at the beginning, they are more present and impressive. Freddy sounds natural and takes the spotlight, whereas the guitar is pushed back a bit. The SR60e disregards the drums almost completely (they are there but theyā€™re not really there) and makes Freddyā€™s voice sound a bit peaky at times. The guitar is brought to the foreground, however this has the result that the stage sounds a bit more crowded than with the HE400i

Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley

Summary

I love the plucky electrical guitar with the SR60e. The singing also sounds very nice, probably in part due to the effect / type of microphone that is used. The HE400i sounds more natural again, but also a bit less exciting and the guitar loses a bit of itā€™s texture.

The whistler - Jethro Tull

Summary

Sounds full on the HE400i with great imaging and it feels like there is enough room for all the voices and instruments. The SR60e sounds more narrow, though itā€™s less of a problem than with The show must go on. Again some things are apparent that went unnoticed by me when listening with the HE400i --like particular guitar chords-- though the overall sound is less natural.

Memory - Elaine Paige (Andrew Lloyd Webber)

Summary

No contest, IMO, the HE400i just sounds better. Instruments have less presence but they are more natural. This is of course a song meant for the stage, and I feel that on the HE400i whereas that feeling of a musical song is completely lost on the SR60e.

Overall I think the conclusion is that the SR60e are exciting headphones, however they make some things like voices sound more artificial than on the HE400i. Textures on guitars are better (or at least more noticeable) on the SR60e I think, and I notice some things on the SR60e, like an accordion part I never noticed. However this increase in presence feels like itā€™s crowding a bit. With an EQ to tame the 2.5k and 6k peaks a smidge they become easier to listen to, though it also quenches the excitement a bit. The Gradoā€™s were never meant to replace another headphone I have, and they definitely wouldnā€™t, but I do like them. Whether or not I decide to keep them depends completely on how often I grab them in the coming months, though they are unique enough that theyā€™ll probably get a nice place above my desk.

2 Likes

If you havenā€™t tried these pads yet I recommend you do. Iā€™m pretty sure every one of your complaints other than sound stage is addressed by these pads.

https://www.amazon.com/Geekria-Replacement-Headphones-Cushion-Earpads/dp/B00TGCDHL2

i found these personally a bit too uncomfortable

the other larger pads you often recommend were alright but i dont like how my ears directly touch the driver on the back of my ears

Iā€™m probably going to order all of the Geekria pads, except for the really terrible ones, at some point. I find the ones I have now rather uncomfortable because they apply pressure exactly where the little feet of my glasses are. The stock ones do better, but I got them used from a smoker so they stink terribly. My hopes are mostly on the S-cush and G-cush with regard to comfort, so Iā€™m curious on your thoughts on the G-cush when you get them.

1 Like

Like I said, try wearing them farther forward on your ear. Even the bowl like L-cush style pads are meant to be on ear, not over ear. Also my ears got used to any discomfort after about a month of pretty much constant use.

You have to break in your ears as well as the pads, LoL.

the only major issues i have besides the fact that though the G-cush were the most comfortable its still annoying that my ears touch the driversā€¦ is that the other options feel too uncomfortable on me, I always need the IFI hipdac bass boost on here because thatā€™s where I still get the impact of heavy bass and a U shaped sound without having it all muddy in the highs or mids like the Sennheiser kinda hadā€¦

which is why probably in like a year or three I will probably buy some sundaras or something so I can get a better U shaped (with bass boost), textured openback

These (sr60e) continue to confuse me. The first song I listen to on them sounds like crap every time, but the second song sounds better and after that they sound great. I also noticed that I shouldnā€™t crank the volume too high on these, since theyā€™ll sound better when not too loud for some reason.
The cushions with the hole in them are way too uncomfortable for me so far, so I guess Iā€™ll stick to the stock pads (or soon the Geekria version of the stock pads). The oneā€™s with the hole in them put pressure exactly where the feet of my glasses lie behind my ears.

1 Like