Guide to competitive fps audio~

Well considering the insane amount of research they put into it being. Considering price sound doesn’t have as much to do with it as you think. Considering a 6XX something that’s not only $220 usd and 30 year old tech

Handily beats out most headphones for not only excellent frequency response no missing detail due to properly engineered boosts for tastes that aren’t over the top that give it character, excellent driver matching and distortion figures easily beats heaphones into the $1k range until you hit something like a DCA product basically like an Ether CX etc.

When you get them, deep insertion. Don’t shallow insert.

Also the Harmon curve for reference has a bass boost as you can see below whereas the curve above is flat in the bass region

images (34)

For reference for how good and high res the ETYMOTIC ER2SE to show I’m not trolling

This is the Harmon target 2017 to ER2SE:

And this is the graph compensated for ear gain:

BOOM!!! Look at how insanely flat that is, insanely high resolution and natural timbre, there really isn’t much better for detail and accurate audio representation out there.

You could also achieve something similar with the hd560s they are nice and flat through the bass and midrange and have a slight treble boost for top end for details like footsteps without being fatiguing like a dt990… Also the sound stage is in my opinion perfect for competitive not too wide and not too narrow. The imaging is much better then the hd6 line up too… These have replaced everything I’ve tried for competitive gaming. If you want similar performance with a bit more bass and immersion some might say get the pc38x and call it a day…

1 Like

Definitely true the 560s is incredible for a headphone.

1 Like

I wouldn’t wanna spend more then that on a competitive headphone either cause the constant gun shots and explosion type sounds will wear the drivers out within about 2 years I imagine with daily use if they are anything like the other Sennheisers I’ve daily driven in the past. They will slowly deplete in detail. Gaming is hard on headphones let’s be honest.

generally have an adorama deal for like $50

1 Like

Personally, essentially any entry level amp and dac is good for a gamer imo… that plus the 560s or a dt 880 at 250 ohm / 600 ohm are like the crown champs I have seen within such a small budget… the 880 can be like minted off the used market for around $125 and the 560s is still withing the sub $200 ball park both of which are exceptional sets of cans

ill keep that in mind appreciate it

The only benefits I see to the 560s over the dt880 is the fact it is balanced and doesn’t require an amp if you can’t afford one. It definitely gets better running them balanced with a quality dac and amp.

Oh absolutely, then again I think both have their own sound… so it comes down to preference. For gaming though, provided you can power either of them I think they are a damn good choice… you really don’t need more than them from my experience… any more is just kind of overkill(sweat-lord territory) or just because you want better sound / you have money to burn. Though as for balanced, for the more mechanical tinkerer type of people they can just mod it balanced with a small amount of effort.

An insane deal.

Transducers typically shouldn’t get destroyed if they’re used at an appropriate volume.

It’s true about the amp and dac all solid state dac and amps are tuned to have a flat frequency repsonse.

Theres literally no difference apart from distortion, impedance and power delivery and certain loads.

People going for these super expensive solid state amps specifically is kinda retarded.

The DT 880 at 600 ohms specifically has some challenges bass distortion

And a huge bass impedance swing up to 720 ohms which is insane especially for amps.

These are issues the HD560s just doesn’t have and I think is worth the money and seeing as they have some of the best channel matching in the game I think it’s worth it over the DT 880 600ohm.

Some of these can be fixed with EQ but the distortion will remain in the bass regions. The lower ohm versions don’t suffer from this.

The 600 ohms is still cool but it’s something to note that you need at least a decent entry amp producing 1 watt at 32 ohms nothing crazy but no internal board solutions or super low budget stuff.

were… really not gonna have this debate whatsoever… I would appreciate keeping that remark off the site, it leads to a rather quick heated topic as its extremely subjective where thousands say amps and dacs sound different(as someone whos tried well over 100 units… they do indeed sound different based on different setups and many variables) while others scream but mah measurements. Top that off with such a remark can be taken incredibly offensive…

The fact of that matter is that you can just grab a general entry level that responds well with the HD 560s such as the JDS stack or something and it will still power the 600 ohm beyers just fine… I also had zero issues with any such channel matching on the dt 880 by results may vary I guess. In the end between these two its strictly down to preference. Comfort also plays a large part here since the cups are different

1 Like

would you guys recommend:
1- Fosi Audio Q4
2-Magni 2
3-Fulla 2
4-fiio k3
5-fiio e10k

Those are all the same price, can only buy one of them.
to power fidelio x2hr.
any other 100$ options feel free to recommend them.

thanks.

Personally I would go with the Schiit product options at that price especially because they offer a good warranty they actually stand behind.

Do you have a dedicated DAC already? I noticed that u mentioned the magni. The magni which by the way comes as the magni 3+ now is dedicated amplifier only. If you own a dac already this would be my choice.

Personally I would save another 100 and buy the Schiit Hel around the 200 dollar mark if your looking for an all in one solution with pre outs.

If your looking for the best bang for buck. An amp and dac stack I would be best with the Modi/magni stack around the 200 dollar mark I believe can’t go wrong.

But if the budget just can’t do it go stretch that far I would go with the Fulla it will power those headphones just fine but leaves you with a little less future proofing and sound quality compared to the other options stated.

I personally think the other options you stated are not really worth getting into knowing how well the Chinese quality control on the cheaper end products compared to the American Schiit brand.

I hope this helps but I’m just one man’s opinion tho.

i live in the middle east and it’s really hard to get the schiit products and ALOT of headphones. it’s a shame. the schiit products that i listed just happen to be on the used market. it’s a rare sight.
also regarding the stacks, i know they are better but i won’t upgrade my headphones atleast anytime soon. they are for gaming afterall, don’t see a point in spending that much.

i appreciate your time.

^ seconded

Eh, it’s not as strong as the magni… your sacrificing a bit for an all in one solution + a mic port that really isn’t all that necessary imo.

Fulla is alright honestly this or the E10k as they are pretty close in terms of power but I think E10k you can get for cheaper than the fulla as I have seen them on amazon for sometimes like $60… makes it more worthwhile in that regard.

Fosi is decent if you need a bit of EQ control, but since PEACE APO and other programs exist and are free this is absolutely pointless for the most part as the controls are pretty poor imo.

Magni 2 is now the magni 3+ if your going new… very worthwhile highly recommended…

Fulla is now FULLA 3 I believe… same unit just a bit better now…

K3 meh… pass id take the schiit products over it if I could

E10k … great budget option… won’t get you anywhere in terms of higher demanding headphones

I will advise caution on this if your planning to use these for competitive gaming… they are overly warm(bassy) and bleed into the mids and lack control on this regard… the bass obstructs your placements and the level of clarity to place those sounds is heavily lacking in many ways. It is by no means a “good for competitive” headphone… but it is a fun to listen to headphone if your looking for something to just chill with.

Also, you will want a Dac to go with that as mentioned. If you can swing it, get a used market Magni 3+ and Modi you can swing them for like $70 per unit so $140 in total

I second this 100% magni Modi is the way to go if u can swing it and everything you said about the headphones I would tend to agree with!

1-pc37x- 150$
2-HD 560S- 230$
3-HD 599- 240$
4-X2hr- 175$
5-dt 770 80 ohm- 174$
6-ath m40x- 146$

Those are the only headphones that are “good” that can be shipped to me. as you can see it’s pretty limited.