Guide to competitive fps audio~

I think your missing the point on the beyers.

if you have an entry level amp that can’t handle 720ohms loads plus huge impedance swings you get large amounts of detail mask into the entire frequency response this is what gives the beyer the notorious wall of sound effect it has.

To address this you have to EQ the heaphone. It opens up insane clarity on the beyer but if left unaddressed it’s a mess without a big power rated amp.

They have some serious issues with bass, distortion and huge impedance swings that brutally tax lower end amps you can hear blatant driver distortion.

The HD560s doesn’t have any of these issues and out of the box can be used stock, no EQ no power amps. Very entry level friendly.

Though the beyer can be had for a low price. It’s needs EQ addressing.

I think it would be important to hear how much this EQ fixes the DT 880.

What it does is pulls energy from the impedance swing hump, enhancing bass entension making it nearly flat and removing some unwanted peaks preserving the soundstage.

[APOequaliser EQ profile]

Preamp: -4.3 dB
Filter 1: ON LS Fc 60 Hz Gain 4.0 dB Q 1.0
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 210 Hz Gain -2.0 dB Q 2.0
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 4300 Hz Gain 4.0 dB Q 4.0
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 5700 Hz Gain -6.0 dB Q 5.0
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 8300 Hz Gain -7.0 dB Q 5.0

You can hear the instant clarity on the headphone and the huge change it makes and actually highlights how big of an issue this actually is. It’s huge

uuhuh… :thinking:

Literally never had major issues of sorts that forced me to believe I needed some hard EQ to adjust them in the use for gaming… music perhaps yeah as theres a slight wall effect on lower ended units that doesn’t open up until you go up to like an asgard or something that supplies some better results and less distortion overall.

You claim 560 is ampless? Yeahhh no… it definitely is not ampless and will struggle on some units. I own that headphone myself… It wouldn’t drive off an A10E phone nor an older motherboard built a couple years back as they made it sound quiet and like absolute shit. Not all gamers have super motherboards capable of high ohm loads or even moderate levels of load same with phones.

The graph appears to imply your trying to make it towards neutrality… as your lessening the brightness… which is the polar opposite in terms of fps frequency metrics since the fps sounds such as the footstep sound is within that treble same with gunshots and other sounds in game. Without that being pushed up you get a more balanced signature sure… but its not the most ideal… its just better for music. Also, if your striving towards neutrality… why are you buying a beyer in the first place? Thats more sennheisers forte or other brands

I will give it a look later.

A power amp isn’t a normal amp. Power amps like receivers, monoblocks big amps you wouldn’t need to use with the HD 560s.

Those peaks mask other details happening in the soundstage they’re not good at all you’ve got 2 peaks happening at 5-6k and 8k.

Once you try the EQ Falenkor it will show you that there are actually big issues you couldn’t hear before it will clear it up dramatically. It would be good to hear you report back after giving it a shot. Thats all I’m saying. Cause its night and day that wall of sound effect is dramatically reduced.

Ah, my apologies… I have talked with people who used that terminology to reference a regular amp. Then again, 880 doesn’t need a power amp either.

Could potentially be a problem with the 880… I definitely don’t have any wall effect let alone any reason whatsoever to EQ my T1…

I will sit down later when I get things cleaned up and give that a look

Fair enough I hear the same terminology being thrown around as well. Thats at least what it used to mean.

If you use one a big amp on the DT 880 they can “Better” handle that imedance swing but its goofy either way to have to use something so big on something that for the price shouldn’t need it.

The T1 is a different driver I don’t know about that headphone specifically. Not all 600 ohm headphones are made equal. Seeing as the T1 specifically uses the tesla driver I believe I don’t know about impedance swings on that headphone. This what I’m talking about is specific to the 880 600 ohm

i WILL say its peaked my curiosity. I will go borrow my buddies 600 ohm balanced 880 later and throw it on the violectric(if theres a damn power issue with this monster hell I would be a amazed) then use the EQ adjustment you mention

I mean, I know many claim you -need- EQ for the beyers… but thats all subjective nonsensical bs imo and primarily centered towards -if- you really care enough to go that far towards neutrality to begin with(or if the headphone actually has issues). I know a great many who stock use beyers just fine… and I don’t see why you couldn’t as a gamer grab like the G6 from soundblaster(which does indeed drive the 600 ohm beyers… I tested that personally) throw some EQ at it if necessary and call it a day… This same amp/dac can be used on most of the gamer recommended cans… course it aint the most “audiophile” level of equipment but whatever there are others that people have confirmed that are like… hell $60 range amps that can push the 600 ohm beyers… so its not like it comes at a major expense to begin with they are just fussy as hell

as far as the T1 is concerned there definitely is a small issue with distortion if you use this on lower ended units… and it can be noticeable if your using lesser amps and dacs in the entry level… I have never really bothered EQ towards my T1 personally less I pad swapped it just so I can even out the signature… as something like Suedes tends to pull some of the mids out and it makes some of the treble slightly uneven being a bit too dark for my taste

Yeah you will find its clearer from the beginning on that larger amp during specific mid bass frequencies as you can see from before its a huge impedance swing.

But the EQ even on a normal amp showcases what this could be.

I have my old liquid spark + Topping D10 combo still in house… thats entry level enough to check if theres problems needing EQ… spark definitely has enough driving power for a good amount of EQ

Like I said the T1 I don’t know.

The DT 880 can get loud enough for sure on any normal amp. I don’t think the power amps address enough of the issue and its not really a great solution more like a sledge hammer rather than a solution.

Definitely would be interested in the liquid spark topping combo with the EQ its clean and provides enough power for what we’re looking at here.

Its my favorite starting combo and what starting my hobby in this… I didnt see a reason to get rid of something that works incredibly well. It will be a while before I get to this though

The spark for its small size delivers serious performance. The topping dacs are really well engineers very low distortion. Great stack.

Pc38x or the 560s would be my choices the pc37x is not quite good enough for my recommendation dt880 if ur getting an amp is a great also.

With all this talk of using speaker amps for headphones I would think we were in a he6 sub form haha

1 Like

Yeah I know but when you’re looking at 700 ohm plus swings on a headphone though small amps can get it loud this is where you face distortion from the poor amp being tortured to death and the transducer distorting.

But the solution really isn’t the amp it’s more the EQ or pad swap