šŸ”¶ HarmonicDyne Helios

+5dB treble from 7khz to 10khz is huge. The 18khz peak can also beā€¦ horrible to some.
Please just never, ever recommend the Helios to people who are treble-sensitive.

1 Like

yeah i know. i temped to geta senn 599 buti dont think it will compare to a helios. stillā€¦

A 5dB difference would not be much but itā€™s not a +5dB peak, itā€™s a +5dB treble plateauā€¦ last time I saw this wasā€¦ DT990s? or 1990sā€¦ i.e.: Looks like a small, subtle differenceā€¦ definitely doesnā€™t sound like one.

1 Like

it doesnt seem like there would be any veil on it

AFAIK the sennheiser veil is not ā€œvisibleā€ in the graphs but it just meansā€¦ smooth treble.

Alright so, these are now on order as I found an acceptable return policy. Time to see what all this hype is about. Arrives next week. As the guy who owns practically the entire lineup from beyerdynamic and loves a V signature at some point I had to bite this and try it considering things I have heard. I want to see for myself. Also have the Dekoni Blues, and HE-35x(look it was $50 for me cause credit why the hell would I not buy a potential awesome budget hifiman? also shiny new headphone is tempting lol) from massdrop on the way too for auditioning. Gonna be a fun time.

4 Likes

I wish i hadnt fallen in love with the Helios. there was so much skepticism about this headphone when it was announced. i guess cause its chifi? I didnt think it was gonna be that great. now its my favorite headphone. id be happy about but i feel its compromised my credibility on the forum.

2 Likes

Hmmmā€¦ Maybe just a little lol

ā€¦or a lot depending on who you ask lol

1 Like

Mostly just got a little overenthusiastic with the recommendationsā€¦but glad you found what you like. Iā€™ve ended up pulling them down more often than I anticipated myselfā€¦especially after the pad swapping.

1 Like

Yep. I ended up buying a second pair in order to do some pad swapping and compare with stock. Still burning in the second pair, but thus far with the comparisons Iā€™ve done, I prefer the stock pads to any of the others that Linsoul offered. I donā€™t have any others to also compare, as Iā€™m not normally a pad roller.

2 Likes

Yeah, I didnā€™t order any extras from Linsoul, iā€™m just swapping with what Iā€™ve got already. So far, the LCD pads are preferred over the stock flat suedes. The stock are nice and plush, but i think the extra distance between driver and ear and the extra angle help with soundstage and separation.

1 Like

Looks like my pair arrived in London yesterday, canā€™t wait to try them out hopefully in the next couple of days :grin:

1 Like

Received confirmation that my Helios should be in on Monday at the latest. Shipping times kind of suck I guess.

My Helios arrived this morning and I am very much liking them so far.

First impressions are that they are really nice for the price, theyā€™re also the fist headphones Iā€™ve bought and really liked the cable :sweat_smile:

In terms of sound, theyā€™ve actually got more bass and a bit more soundstage than I was expecting. These are now my second bassiest headphones after the hawks. In terms of the treble they seem to have more highs than my t50s but they are less harsh with those highs too if that makes any sense? Definitely glad I got these, they seem to be really nice and Iā€™m looking forward to using them more.

My only issue is that the headband doesnā€™t quite have enough padding for me, although I find this to be an issue on a lot of headphones and these are almost at that good comfort level, just not quite with the headband.

The pads feel lovely, Iā€™d be interested to try them with lcd Pads, but I think Iā€™m gonna hold off for a bit first since Iā€™ve been spending too much lately :rofl:

I do wonder how the dt990s compare to these but Iā€™m probably not gonna pick some up until I get a good deal second hand, especially since I won some t60s last night on eBay that Iā€™m gonna hopefully send in to convert to argons.

2 Likes

I had a similar issue with the headband; not sufficient padding respectively the padding was to stiff and not distributing the pressure right. I felt the most pressure in a single point right on top of my head (I am bold).
I removed the padding - it is simply glued to the metal (quite sticky) - and placed two Dekoni Nuggets on the metal headband.

(Putting the Nuggets directly on the original padding does not work very well for me since my head is a bit too big and even at full extension the ear cups are a bit too high with such a ā€œdoubleā€ padding).
Now they are super comfortable for me (and still sound really great :slight_smile: ).

3 Likes

Thanks, I like the idea of that. I was also looking at something like the zmf pilot pad, I know thereā€™s plenty of knitted style covers on Amazon too

this is exactly what i was hearing! the treble is awesome on these but not painfull. best treble ive ever heard on a headphone

1 Like

That looks like being one step away from DIY-ing a Sennheiser HD-650 headpad. :smiley:

4 Likes

Interesting suggestion! But looking at my HD6xx I do prefer the feel of the (p-)leather and the ā€œfluffinessā€ of the Dekoni nuggets on my head. The foam-like Sennheiser headpads are also a bit thinner and the Helios is a bit heavier than the HD6xx.

1 Like

I got one of the hd600 versions of those for using on my 4xx, I might try out using it if Iā€™m gonna use my Helios for an extended session.